Vancouver Flights

Fishing Man

We were wanting to do an Alaska cruise ending in Vancouver BC on Sept. 12th.

We will fly back to KC Mo. Looks like all the flights either begin at early morning hours, which we can't make or leave after 11:00 PM. Am I missing something or is that what you have to work with?

I have found a few but seems super high in price.

Did you see the flights I gave you on your other post?

By narrowing down your options, you run the risk of rising the price. Plus, Vancouver is an expensive airport to fly out of.

Vancouver is slightly more expensive airport than you might find in the USA, but airports themselves are not government funded in Canada (unlike the USA), plus there's the additional expense that large Canadian airports have to be required to operate USA pre-clearance terminals (at the request of the USA) so probably another $5 of that $15.90 in YVR Airport Improvement Fee should be shifted over to be a USA imposed tax as well.

Sample YVR-MCI (on AS/QX), in US$

Fare $253.00

Base Fare $247.03

Surcharges $5.97

Canadian Air Travelers Security Charge $9.60

Canadian Goods and Services Tax $14.00

Vancouver Airport Improvement Fee $15.90

US APHIS User Fee $5.00

US Customs User Fee $5.50

US Flight Segment Tax $8.00

US Immigration User Fee $7.00

US Psgr. Facility Charge $4.50

US Sept. 11 Security Fee $5.60

US Transportation Tax $19.01

Taxes and Fees $94.11 (39.50 in Canadian Taxes, 54.61 in USA taxes)

Total per Traveler $347.11

All that being said,

Alaska 2363 YVR 1335-1424 SEA

Alaska 738 SEA 1815-2345 MCI

seems like a nice middle of the day departure to me. If you want to avoid a lot of the USA taxes, you can take a bus from the Canada Place cruise terminal to SEA airport for about $55, takes about 4½ hours.

Good info. We are thinking of staying an extra day and taking in some of the sites. Does anyone know how far or how to get to the suspension bridge?

The website for the Capilano bridge (I assume that's the one you mean, though the Lions' Gate is also of suspension design) has all the info you need. Here's a LINK to the page on the free shuttle from Downtown.

There is also Lynn Canyon, which is smaller but free.

Edited by FlyerTalker

Looks like all the flights either begin at early morning hours, which we can't make or leave after 11:00 PM.

I have found a few but seems super high in price.

The laws of supply and demand at work.... the most sought after flights will generally be the most expensive.

Thanks that really looks interesting. Do most people spend all day there?

If you're going to go up to Capilano Bridge, it's probably a 2-4 hour visit. Most people would combine it with Grouse Mountain (a little further up the hill). The two of them make a great day...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. We have decided to take the Sept 9th thru the 16th Holland cruise. We are coming in a day early and hope to hit Gastown & Chinatown that same day. Maybe Stanley Park the day of departure. On return we are spending an extra day in Vancouver so we can go to Capilano Bridge,*and maybe Grouse mountain. The next day we plan on flying the seaplane to Victoria and spending the day there mainly at Burchard Gardens and staying at a nice hotel near the waterfront. We actually had some of this vacation planned 20yrs ago, then I got laidoff and had to cancel. We did a Pacific Coast cruise a couple of years ago but I felt shorted that we spent so little time in Victoria.

Always would be nice to fit in some Salmon fishing.

Thanks

Edited by Fishing Man

It is good that you decided to go early, especially if you have to connect in Chicago. In 2009 we flew out the same day as our cruise and very nearly got stranded in Grand Rapids due to fog. Vancouver is beautiful. We spent 18 days in BC & Alberta.

While in Victoria we went to the Odeon theatre to see "An American Werewolf in London." A lady in front of us had a sewing basket, so I apologized for my rudeness & asked why she would be sewing in a dark theatre. "It's not sewing, my husband will be a little late and this is dinner."