Excursions in Tortola

arb3

The boat from NCL drops you off on the beach at the Baths? I've read that it stops in the water and you have to swim to shore. We have some in our group who can't do that, so I want to be certain.

There are 2 different tours. One with swimming and one without. If you chose the one that swims, it drops you off near the beach then you swim to the beach. If you don't want to swim then do the other excursions which drives you to the beach.

There are 2 different tours. One with swimming and one without. If you chose the one that swims, it drops you off near the beach then you swim to the beach. If you don't want to swim then do the other excursions which drives you to the beach.

Thank you!

Before people book the "swim to shore" tour, I would encourage you to do further reading about this over on the Ports of Call board. Many of the comments there about this tour and in general about the swim say that while the distance sounds very do-able, the undertow can pose a real problem.

See, e.g., this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2060319&highlight=swim+to+shore

I've posted some pictures of the Baths and Snorkel tour here in the Norwegian Forum. We had to swim in about 100 yards. Then we were guided through the Baths, which included squeezing through a narrow space between boulders, climbing up an incline (with the help of a rope attached to the side wall) and walking up about 20 wooden steps. The return swim was over 300 yards, negotiating some narrow cuts against a strong tidal surge. It's not something a five-year-old could do very easily. It's also not for anyone who panics easily in the water. It's not hard for your average snorkeler, though. If you inflate your snorkel vest a little, keep your face in the water, and follow the guide, it's not hard. I also recommend a rash vest, such as an O'Neill. It provides some buoyancy, keeps your warmer (water temp was about 78), gives you 50 spf protection against the sun, and also gives you some protection from scraping against the rocks and coral. Check Amazon.

The climb is why we can't do it anymore. We are getting older and both have bad legs. I just had a knee replacement. though we are not cruising til early April, I know I would not be able to take that climb. It is too bad. I think everyone that goes to Tortola should see Virgin Gordo onece.

Agree, so happy we did it when our legs were able to take us there!

I've posted some pictures of the Baths and Snorkel tour here in the Norwegian Forum. We had to swim in about 100 yards. Then we were guided through the Baths, which included squeezing through a narrow space between boulders, climbing up an incline (with the help of a rope attached to the side wall) and walking up about 20 wooden steps. The return swim was over 300 yards, negotiating some narrow cuts against a strong tidal surge. It's not something a five-year-old could do very easily. It's also not for anyone who panics easily in the water. It's not hard for your average snorkeler, though. If you inflate your snorkel vest a little, keep your face in the water, and follow the guide, it's not hard. I also recommend a rash vest, such as an O'Neill. It provides some buoyancy, keeps your warmer (water temp was about 78), gives you 50 spf protection against the sun, and also gives you some protection from scraping against the rocks and coral. Check Amazon.

Wow.. Glad we didn't do the swim with the kids.

There will be 8 of us going. My in-laws (in their 60s), along with sister and brother-in-law and their two kids (3&5). I am thinking getting to the baths will be a bit challenging. I guess I am not back to my original two to choose from - Best of Tortola or Tortola by land and sea. I really want to get an overview of the island and more importantly get off the boat for a bit since there are then two sea days back to NYC (and the cold).

Thanks for the info, AlwaysNeedSun. How long would you say you were actually at the Baths themselves? Any other option other than direct return to the ship? Any drop off in Tortola offered?

Has anyone taken the other option which anchors and requires a swim? How difficult was it? You'd think if a 5 year old could handle it, how hard could it be?

You are at the Baths a couple of hours which is more than enough to see the rock formations and swim a bit.

You really only have the option to return to the ship. It is about an hour to Virgin Gorda from Tortola, and then the same back. By the time you do all of that you are out of time.

Just an FYI there is not much on Tortola unless you go to North Sound (NCL doesn't . . . the Baths are on the south end of the island). At North Sound is the beautiful Bitter End Yacht Club

How hard could it be? You are swimming 100 + yards in open ocean. It can be hard if you are not a good swimmer, and at times the waves can be . . . shall we say a bit strong when you come on to the beach.

It's not hard but unless my 5 year old was on a swim team I wouldn't do it.

The Baths are actually on a completely different island, Virgin Gorda. It takes about 45 minutes by boat from Road Town, Tortola to Virgin Gorda. It's about a hundred yards to swim in to the beginning of the Baths tour, but you'd have to backtrack through the Baths to have a shorter swim back to the boat. Otherwise it's about 300 yards around the point and then through some narrow choke points to get back. The tidal surge is magnified in the choke points. Don't get me wrong. It's not like swimming the English Channel. It was just a bit more challenging than some expected. It was a good workout

Here's the link to the photos, to save some searching:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2165671

On the photos looking out from the beach toward the water, the excursion boat is not in sight. It's around the point to the right, out of sight.

Thanks for that review, I've booked this tour for May off the Getaway. I was wondering about where they would anchor but it looks like it's not too bad as long as you're a fairly decent swimmer.

You'll enjoy it. It's a unique experience. As you can tell from the photos we had people from their early-20s to late-60s in the excursion and everyone managed. Here's another tip: bring a little bottle of baby shampoo with you. It's the best stuff for keeping your mask from fogging up and it's far less expensive than the anti-fog spray sold in dive shops. Just wet your mask, put a few drops of shampoo on the glass, rub it around, rinse, and you're good to go.

• 5 months later...

Also, for those of you who are leery of doing the Baths, NCL also offers a tour called "Beach Break" or something like that in Tortola. We really enjoyed it. The beach was gorgeous and there was a little drive to get there so you see some of the Island.

Just something to think about if you want an alternative. There were beach chairs and umbrellas.

Also, for those of you who are leery of doing the Baths, NCL also offers a tour called "Beach Break" or something like that in Tortola. We really enjoyed it. The beach was gorgeous and there was a little drive to get there so you see some of the Island.

Just something to think about if you want an alternative. There were beach chairs and umbrellas.

Was it "Island Beach Break"? Do you remember which beach you went?

We will be in Tortola in december. Even if the baths looks great, a video on youtube made me wonder how a 6'6" guy with wide shoulder would enjoy it.. So we look for alternative.

Thanks

Was it "Island Beach Break"? Do you remember which beach you went?

We will be in Tortola in december. Even if the baths looks great, a video on youtube made me wonder how a 6'6" guy with wide shoulder would enjoy it.. So we look for alternative.

Thanks

Yes, that was it.

It was Sugar Cane Bay or something like that. About a 20 minute drive and the beach was gorgeous! They said they don't guarantee that beach depending on weather and tides, but that it's almost always at that beach.

With the short (and early arrival) time in port, we found it the perfect beach break. We were the last tender back to the ship so they try to give you as much time at the beach as possible. Very relaxing. We plan to do this pretty much every trip to Tortola.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone tried to do it on their own? The ship is only at Tortola for a few hours, a half day stop before rocketing back to NYC, last time we were there we just wandered around town for a little while then got back on. We want to do Virgin Gorda this time and see The Baths, but not sure if we should try doing it on our own like we would if we had a full day there.

Has anyone tried to do it on their own? The ship is only at Tortola for a few hours, a half day stop before rocketing back to NYC, last time we were there we just wandered around town for a little while then got back on. We want to do Virgin Gorda this time and see The Baths, but not sure if we should try doing it on our own like we would if we had a full day there.

It may be possible to do on your own, but you would have to time everything perfectly. With the short port stay, I would suggest doing a ship's tour. I know otherwise if it was me, I'd be stressing the whole time about missing the ship which doesn't make for a relaxing day.

I see that no one has yet explained "the climb."

When one arrives by land to the entry of The Baths, you are at the top of the hill behind The Baths. At the top, there is a restaurant, lockers, a meeting place and parking.

From the top, you have a choice of two paths down to the beach (Bath) area. Our guide recommended allowing 20 minutes for the climb back up. One path is supposedly less steep and easier than the other, but we only went down and up the side that lead down to the Baths side.

The path was steep in places, was over rock at times, and sometimes was narrow. Going down was easier than coming back up. Definitely not a choice for anyone with mobility issues and it helps to be in good aerobic condition or plan for rest stops on the way back up (longer than 20 minutes recommended by guide for climbing).

From comments made by others in our group who did the other path down to the beach, coming up could also pose an aerobic challenge to some.

We were there at high tide. That means as we went through the rock formations, there were places where we had to swim to continue on. If you plan on lugging cameras or other stuff with you, make sure you have some waterproof way of carrying valuables.

There was also places where the path through the rock s involved climbing up and over boulders and at least one short (2-3 rungs) ladder.

I also would not recommend going through the rock formations if you have small children that will need help or have mobility issues.