Need to know for new cruisers

lharry

? Explain please.

To avoid contaminants like bugs in an apple ports forbid food being taken off the ship. There are garbage bags where you exit to throw it out. You can take a packaged granola bar or something like that.

I take a collapsible cooler for ice. I keep it on the shower floor beacuse it condenses and will wet carpet or desk.

Instead of the shoe organizer I have started taking smaller ones that zip closed. The shoe organizer stuff would fall all over the place from suitcase to door.

There are some GREAT ideas here! To add a few more ...

If you ask for an ice bucket and have your fridge emptied - keep the ice bucket in the fridge, the cubes stay solid longer.

If you bring a highlighter to highlight the FunTimes, bring more than one color . For example - yellow for the adults, blue for kids and use both (yellow and blue make green) for family events.

If you get back to the cabin and are hot and want a quick cool down, most of the hair dryers have a cool button - use the dryer with that button pushed and you have an instant fan!

Bring multiple sizes of zip top bags - you never know when a bottle will leak or you buy something and want to keep separate from your other things in your luggage.

Bring a few EMPTY water bottles (or save some) - fill them up and put in the fridge that way when you use one and want another, exchange it for a cool one - that way you will always have cold water (be sure to fill the empty). Or bring a LARGE bottle(s) and just refill the glass or bottle you take with you.

The water that comes out of the sink faucet is the same as the water in the fountains found on the Lido deck - no need to leave the cabin to refill water.

When you start touring the ship stop by the guest services desk and ask for a map of the ship - it will help if you get turned around or are looking for a specific place. They are usually small and can be kept in a pocket until you get familiar with the ship.

Check to see if there is a plastic bag with the onboard laundry service forms -use that to store dirty clothes.

Most cruisers are extremely friendly and are happy to help a "Newbie" .... so if you have a question, ASK!

There are some GREAT ideas here! To add a few more ...

If you ask for an ice bucket and have your fridge emptied - keep the ice bucket in the fridge, the cubes stay solid longer.

If you bring a highlighter to highlight the FunTimes, bring more than one color . For example - yellow for the adults, blue for kids and use both (yellow and blue make green) for family events.

If you get back to the cabin and are hot and want a quick cool down, most of the hair dryers have a cool button - use the dryer with that button pushed and you have an instant fan!

Bring multiple sizes of zip top bags - you never know when a bottle will leak or you buy something and want to keep separate from your other things in your luggage.

Bring a few EMPTY water bottles (or save some) - fill them up and put in the fridge that way when you use one and want another, exchange it for a cool one - that way you will always have cold water (be sure to fill the empty). Or bring a LARGE bottle(s) and just refill the glass or bottle you take with you.

The water that comes out of the sink faucet is the same as the water in the fountains found on the Lido deck - no need to leave the cabin to refill water.

When you start touring the ship stop by the guest services desk and ask for a map of the ship - it will help if you get turned around or are looking for a specific place. They are usually small and can be kept in a pocket until you get familiar with the ship.

Check to see if there is a plastic bag with the onboard laundry service forms -use that to store dirty clothes.

Most cruisers are extremely friendly and are happy to help a "Newbie" .... so if you have a question, ASK!

A few more things ....

Room service is not usually available on the last morning, so if you are like me and can't function without coffee first (going to get it is out of the question!) call room service the night before and request a pot of coffee. They usually bring it in a thermos type container. It won't be piping hot in the morning but it will be caffeine!!!!!

You will get TONS of paper - handouts, FunTimes, shopping maps, onboard promotions, so bring along a 8x11 envelope or file folder to put the papers you want readily available or to save.

Save your receipts to double check against your Sign and Sail account. You will be amazed at how many times you look at the printout and wonder "did I get that?" your receipts will help explain some of those mystery charges. I suggest doing this two days before the cruise ends - this way if something is wacky you will be able to get it fixed at the guest services desk. The line the day before and the day of disembarkment will be VERY long.

• 2 weeks later...

If flying home, remember that any "souvenir" liquor now has to travel in checked bags - it cannot be carried onto the plane. Take bubble wrap to wrap bottles so they're protected in your suitcase. :)

Edited by bailey57

• 3 weeks later...
T

Instead of the shoe organizer I have started taking smaller ones that zip closed. The shoe organizer stuff would fall all over the place from suitcase to door.

Smaller ones what? Is is a smaller shoe organizer? If so do you have a link to a photo? Thanks, I'm a big fan of a shoe organizer. :confused:

Also how do I know if it's flame retardant? If it's plastic?

Edited by famouschinesecontroller

Smaller ones what? Is is a smaller shoe organizer? If so do you have a link to a photo? Thanks, I'm a big fan of a shoe organizer. :confused:

Also how do I know if it's flame retardant? If it's plastic?

It's a toiletries hanging zippered thingie. Who knows if flame retardant. Don't know if any of the shoe organizers even have that indicated.

http://www.target.com/p/household-essentials-nylon-hanging-cosmetics-bag-black/-/A-10573432?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Storage%2BOrganization%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Storage%2BOrganization&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9012103&gclid=CI26_8-P2M4CFdgYgQodtqgMGw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hope that works. Can't tell from this picture if this one has zippers on each section. Got it on Amazon. Accidently ordered one for jewelry and decided to keep it too.

One poster suggested using the plastic laundry bag for dirty clothes. They are very thin paper bags, not plastic. I take my own plastic bags for dirty clothes and for the damp ice cooler I pack on debarkation day.

Edited by crusinpsychRN

• 4 weeks later...

Cozumel has dogs. Sat on our balcony once and watched them work. They don't miss much.

Basically you should not take anything that wasn't factory sealed off the ship. I don't know why that is so difficult. The announce it, there is a big sign and still they are asking people to please discard "whatever they are eating" before exiting the ship.