US Air or American Airlines

rob6465

"Cactus" was one of the few things kept from when America West absorbed US Air
Cactus will be dropped on April 7th from what I hear.
Technically, I think that this was because the comined HP/US operation was moved onto the HP AOC, which was the one that used the callsign "CACTUS".

Presumably, this means that the combined AA/US operation will this time be moved to the AA AOC.

Technically, I think that this was because the comined HP/US operation was moved onto the HP AOC, which was the one that used the callsign "CACTUS".

Presumably, this means that the combined AA/US operation will this time be moved to the AA AOC.

Correct, to my understanding, they will operate (fairly soon) under one AOC that will belong to the current AA (DFW-based) rather than the current US (PHX-based).

It's funny to think that scrawny lil' America West is now this big...because America West really did take over US Airways (but kept the US Airways name), and now it's US Airways taking over AA (but keeping the AA name).

Anyone know the plans of the US Airways HQ Building in Tempe?

Edited by Zach1213

Anyone know the plans of the US Airways HQ Building in Tempe?

SSSHHHH!!! A BIG bone of contention in Arizona. The price paid for the bldg in 2013 when it was sold from REIT to REIT was way over the top for Arizona commercial real estate (about double).

Right now, AA is using the bldg trying to make all the parts and pieces fit in this merger. But that lease expires in 2016. So will AA still use the bldg? It is well known Doug Parker wants to get out of Phoenix other than maintenance and as a hub. And I can't imagine anyone else wanting to pay a large premium for rental office space other than maybe Intel or Motorola. But Intel is building a new building themselves so I don't think they really need it. SRP (Salt River Project-a power co-op) had some interest last fall but the owners wouldn't come down in the price.

I wander what they are going to do with US Airways arena downtown. AA already has 2 arenas. I can't imagine AA would want to support a third arena. But before they put the naming rights on the open market, someone please stop the people who own University of Phoenix stadium. There is bldg after bldg named University of Phoenix all over the Phoenix metro area. Worse than Donald Trump for bldgs named. And they aren't particularly good looking bldgs. We dont' need an arena is downtown Phoenix named University of Phoenix right next to Chase Field and then 2 blocks to the North, a whole complex of bldgs that are named University of Phoenix. Just TOOO much!!!

Partly; they kept the ICAO codes/callsigns of "AWE" and "Cactus", but switched their IATA code from HP to US.

I wander what they are going to do with US Airways arena downtown. AA already has 2 arenas. I can't imagine AA would want to support a third arena. But before they put the naming rights on the open market, someone please stop the people who own University of Phoenix stadium. There is bldg after bldg named University of Phoenix all over the Phoenix metro area. Worse than Donald Trump for bldgs named. And they aren't particularly good looking bldgs. We dont' need an arena is downtown Phoenix named University of Phoenix right next to Chase Field and then 2 blocks to the North, a whole complex of bldgs that are named University of Phoenix. Just TOOO much!!!

Well UoP has been faltering lately (serves them right in my book). It supports my policy to avoid investing in companies with their name on a sports venue. It proves true more often than not!

Correct, to my understanding, they will operate (fairly soon) under one AOC that will belong to the current AA (DFW-based) rather than the current US (PHX-based).
April 8.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/goodbye-cactus-american-airlines-us-airways-expect-a-single-operating-certificate-on-april-8.html/

SSSHHHH!!! A BIG bone of contention in Arizona. The price paid for the bldg in 2013 when it was sold from REIT to REIT was way over the top for Arizona commercial real estate (about double).

Right now, AA is using the bldg trying to make all the parts and pieces fit in this merger. But that lease expires in 2016. So will AA still use the bldg? It is well known Doug Parker wants to get out of Phoenix other than maintenance and as a hub. And I can't imagine anyone else wanting to pay a large premium for rental office space other than maybe Intel or Motorola. But Intel is building a new building themselves so I don't think they really need it. SRP (Salt River Project-a power co-op) had some interest last fall but the owners wouldn't come down in the price.

I know Arizona State has been expanding their corporate training (because I work in corporate/engineering training and know some of the ASU folks)...I wonder if they would want to rent any of it? That's only a small portion of that fairly large building, though.

Or just turn it in to one big bar and call it part of Mill Ave.

Well UoP has been faltering lately (serves them right in my book). It supports my policy to avoid investing in companies with their name on a sports venue. It proves true more often than not!

I had the "pleasure" of meeting the current chairman of Apollo Education (owners of UoP) on a Crystal cruise a few years back. Had I held stock in the company, I would have dumped it ASAP. I notice that it is down over 25% this week.

Of course, some folks would put the airline in a no-win situation. Either "there was no legroom with the IFE box" or "we only had the overhead movie screen - how ancient".

Gotta take it all into consideration - and process it against YOUR preferences.

Many aircraft are equipped *two* underseat boxes, one mounted on each seat leg. One is for IFE and the other is for the 115VAC inseat power if the plane is equipped with them. Since the aisle seat usually has the least underseat space, the boxes are usually under the middle and window seats.