Suggestions for International Airfare Bargains

robin13

If it's all one ticket, I'm not sure why this is an issue. Even if it was all one airline, you'd very possibly still have 3 different flights. Next summer I have a ticket returning from Africa that involves flying Kenya Airways, Air France and Delta over four different flight segments.
FWIW, although KQ is fine, the airport at NBO is nothing to write home about. The business lounge made the worst SkyClub look like a palace. At least they had plenty of cold Tusker in a cooler. And it was MUCH nicer than outside in the terminal waiting area. Edited by FlyerTalker

True SEA is a small airport and extremely easy to navigate. I am still curious as to how this poster can:

The fees/taxes/fuel surcharges are very expensive on BA award tickets when you are on BA metal. You can't get an economy ticket with only $200 in fees from the US to Europe. But, perhaps I am on the infamous "ignore" list so poster isn't seeing this question.

I am using over 100k Sapphire points-to-cash to reduce the out of pocket I would pay.

How are you checking flights for 2017, when schedules aren't even released yet?

Does that $200 include all taxes/fees/fuel surcharges? I can find many saver award flights in economy for 40,000 miles, SFO-LHR, for example, but if they are operated by BA, the fees total $695 RT. if I choose the same flights in business class, charges are 70,000 miles plus $918.50 in fees.

I am checking April 2016 fares: a year in advance of my April 2017 flight.

As I said previously, I'm using cashed out Sapphire points to reimburse my credit card for all but approximately $200 of the fare.

Edited by pcur

If it's all one ticket, I'm not sure why this is an issue. Even if it was all one airline, you'd very possibly still have 3 different flights. Next summer I have a ticket returning from Africa that involves flying Kenya Airways, Air France and Delta over four different flight segments.

I am accustomed to flying nonstop from LAX to Europe (usually fly into LHR, stay the night, and then go on to whatever other destination with a "domestic" European airline).

Flying 3 airlines each way with no layover does not appeal to me.

This poster wants to fly in April 2017 - into FCO and out of VCE. Maybe she will come back and give tips how she gets award tickets on BA metal so cheaply :).

Actually, our cruise leaves from BCN, so it's probably (for me) going to be SFO (so I can fly with my friend)-BCN-VCE-LAX. But, we will probably stopover in LHR, which is what my husband and I did this past April/May.

FYI, I only put people who are really rude to me on my ignore list. :D

Edited by pcur

FWIW, although KQ is fine, the airport at NBO is nothing to write home about. The business lounge made the worst SkyClub look like a palace. At least they had plenty of cold Tusker in a cooler. And it was MUCH nicer than outside in the terminal waiting area.

Thanks for the heads up. We are still hoping award availability will open up so we can fly home straight from JRO and skip NBO, but grabbed the tix out of NBO while they were available. So, may or may not end up keeping this routing. Time will tell, but we have no lofty expectations of the KQ lounge so it will be whatever it is. On another note, I was disappointed to find out that Air Tanzania doesn't fly from JRO to NBO; I was hoping to add that short leg so I could tick off another carrier on my "airlines I've flown" list. They don't, though. :(

I am accustomed to flying nonstop from LAX to Europe (usually fly into LHR, stay the night, and then go on to whatever other destination with a "domestic" European airline).

Flying 3 airlines each way with no layover does not appeal to me.

My point was more about not fearing the fact that the ticket encompasses flights on 3 different airlines. If you want fewer flight segments, I get that, but if you're stuck with multiple segments there's no reason for additional stress due to said segments being on different airlines (again- provided it's all on one ticket.)

My point was more about not fearing the fact that the ticket encompasses flights on 3 different airlines. If you want fewer flight segments, I get that, but if you're stuck with multiple segments there's no reason for additional stress due to said segments being on different airlines (again- provided it's all on one ticket.)

Yes, thanks for clarifying that.

The Condor Airlines ticket I priced did include 3 airlines to go from SFO or LAX to BCN; that's the way it was ticketed. It just seems transferring to additional gates in different concourses (got that: not necessarily terminal changes), and on/off 3 times with carry-on, is excessive for me. Just not my kind of air travel preference.

I like the BA nonstop flight to LHR, then connect to elsewhere is only one other flight, and usually the next day. More leisurely, and I really like London, too!

Edited by pcur