It only happened once

Martini Mom

On all of the cruises we've been on, it's only happened once. On the last evening of our Splendor cruise to the Mexican Riviera we became really sea sick. My husband doesn't even get motion sick, but this one really got us. Don't know if it was rough water, this particular ship, the fact that our cabin was a little more forward than usual. Who knows. (And yes, we had sea sickness pills as well as ginger caps). We didn't even have problems in the Eastern Caribbean as we sailed around two hurricanes.

So, for our upcoming July cruise to the Western Caribbean on the Freedom, is that area known for rough water, etc.?

[quote name='Martini Mom']On all of the cruises we've been on, it's only happened once. On the last evening of our Splendor cruise to the Mexican Riviera we became really sea sick. My husband doesn't even get motion sick, but this one really got us. Don't know if it was rough water, this particular ship, the fact that our cabin was a little more forward than usual. Who knows. (And yes, we had sea sickness pills as well as ginger caps). We didn't even have problems in the Eastern Caribbean as we sailed around two hurricanes.

So, for our upcoming July cruise to the Western Caribbean on the Freedom, is that area known for rough water, etc.?[/QUOTE]

I have sailed that area many times. I have experienced rough seas a few times.

Any body of water can be rough (or calm) at any time. There is no way to predict it, and certainly, no way to prevent it!

Sometimes, it's the direction in which you're "rocking"....and you're right, it's seldom the cabin, as most folks are out of their cabin 80% of the time!!!

[quote name='OCruisers'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]Since you've never been seasick before, possibly it was something you ate that caused the problem.
LuLu [/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Whatever I ate could have made it worse, but the ship was definitely rockin' and rollin'. It was like a roller coaster that I wanted off of.

The worse seas I have ever been in was in the Gulf of Alaska where the waves were splashing over the bow.... Very few passengers ate dinner that evening in the MDR and the seasickness bags were readily available. Walking down the hall was a challenge.

We have sailed the Western Caribbean many, many times and cannot say that we have experienced rough seas. Occasionally, we have had a few evening where we were rocking, but nothing that caused any upset tummies.

Recommend that you get some GINGER pills and if you start to have an issue, it should take care of it.

[quote name='Martini Mom']On all of the cruises we've been on, it's only happened once. On the last evening of our Splendor cruise to the Mexican Riviera we became really sea sick. My husband doesn't even get motion sick, but this one really got us. Don't know if it was rough water, this particular ship, the fact that our cabin was a little more forward than usual. Who knows. (And yes, we had sea sickness pills as well as ginger caps). We didn't even have problems in the Eastern Caribbean as we sailed around two hurricanes.

So, for our upcoming July cruise to the Western Caribbean on the Freedom, is that area known for rough water, etc.?[/QUOTE]
Sometimes as you get into open waters in that open channel between Cuba and the Yucatan Peninsula, the motion can pick up. But it usually doesn't last too long unless there is just generally bad weather in the area causing swells and high wind.

I could tell tales of terror on this subject, but, I won't. Depending on the ship's itinerary, the Skipper may be trying to haul **s to get back to home port. The poor guy is going to be fighting the same currents that helped him make time on the way down.
Either way, it always seems there is more movement "coming than going".
Just my opinion, of course!;)

Have yet to ever be we sick, but oddly always have our toughest seas the last night of the cruise. And that adds to our land leg recovery; the worse the seas, the longer the recovery post cruise.