Just home from Splendor- MY questions

serene56

It was an amazing week and I can put this cruise up there in my top 5 vacations.

But I do have questions:

About 2-3 weeks ago I emailed the Maître d' on SPlendor and requested early dining and a table for 3 people.

We did get early dining-- in the forward dining room at a table for 10 people. (our cabin was located all the way in the aft on deck 7)

I was not a happy camper. Same thing happened on the Victory 2 weeks ago when I sent that Mairtre D with a smimlar request but again that was denied.

I even did my request using John Heald.

so my question is-- how does some people get their request and others do not?

ok- so I saw we were at the table for 10-- with Asian people who did not speak English--

So I went to see the Maitre d-- I was very pleasant -- with my request.

He told me he has no tables for 3-4 people at early dining.. (consider if you will that I am platinum and it states that carnival will accomadate our dining preference-- that is for the time you want-- nothing else.

so since nothing was left we were forced to take anytime dining.

It all worked in the end because we went to the anytime dining room (forward deck 3 is for anytime dining) we went about 5:45 (15 minutes earlier then the 6pm stated time) and requested the same waiter each night.

My second question-- if my cabin was all the way in the back why would they put me in the dining room all the way forward-- that was a hike each night...(LOL)

Next question is regarding the buffet. and the lines

How hard is it for people to get in line-- make a choice and move to the next item.?

I can not believe that one day took me over 30 minutes to get through that line at lunch time. 30 minutes??

One day at breakfast it took over 20 minutes.

And what is with the people who step out of line and say-- oh i just want to grab a milk, move up a few I just want to grab a bagel then grab a spoon of eggs. Why cant those people wait in the line like every one else?

I do understand if you just waited but you forgot butter. or the bread-- but to do that for the entire line just is not right.?

So my question is-- is this a cultural thing? We sailed with a lot of Asians who were booked as a VERY large group. And trying to be politically correct I am really needing to know the answer to that-- and not being prejudiced in any way shape or form.

I can't answer specific to the Splendor. But assigned seating dining is really hard to get special requested. Larger parties have to have linked bookings and al request same time. This however, does cause a bit of a problem for smaller parties as tables get pushed together. Another factor is the number of people requesting a specific dining time. They have to put you somewhere. The best way to get assigned dining is to request it at the time you make your cruise reservation, then, if its a small party- 4 or under, head tot eh MDR when the Fun times says it will be open for tables/seating arrangements, on departure day (usually around 1:30P).

If they can't accommodate you that night they might be able to the other nights. Or, as happened to you, give you the option of anytime dining.

Also I thought I read in a review that both dining rooms on the Splendor had seating reserved for anytime dining. If that's true then you should not have had to go to mid ships for anytime dining.

I can't answer specific to the Splendor. But assigned seating dining is really hard to get special requested. Larger parties have to have linked bookings and al request same time. This however, does cause a bit of a problem for smaller parties as tables get pushed together. Another factor is the number of people requesting a specific dining time. They have to put you somewhere. The best way to get assigned dining is to request it at the time you make your cruise reservation, then, if its a small party- 4 or under, head tot eh MDR when the Fun times says it will be open for tables/seating arrangements, on departure day (usually around 1:30P).

If they can't accommodate you that night they might be able to the other nights. Or, as happened to you, give you the option of anytime dining.

Also I thought I read in a review that both dining rooms on the Splendor had seating reserved for anytime dining. If that's true then you should not have had to go to mid ships for anytime dining.

I did request early seating. (but that is all you can request when you are booking-- and no consideration takes place in the time that you booked. (we booked over a year out)

For our cruise last week only the forward dining room lower deck 3 was for anytime dining. The upper deck 4 was used for traditional as was the entire aft dining room.

I woulda thought -- that with todays couples dining together (alone) while on vacation would be super important. I barely see my honey all year as our hours of working make us passing ships in the night - so vacation is the time we spend a considerable amount of time-- and I dont want to share with others-- especially with people who do not speak or understand english- is that mean of me?

I usually email the Maitre'd about 3 weeks out, and have always gotten what I requested. Sometimes I received a reply and sometimes I didn't. I have never gone thru JH, and never will. Been lucky I guess.

The last time I was on the Splendor, only the upper level of the Black Pearl was YTD, but that may have changed.

As far as the buffet behavior, I see it on every cruise, and is spread amongst all ethnic groups. Don't think it will ever change.

I hope so too. But Rashash is at the end of his contract so he is rather tired. Still its an excuse

Some people get it -- others do not.

I think if you are going to accept emails from people you either accommodate all or none.

My next question deals with the sign and sail card--

why is it hitting my bank today in little increments... and not all at once?

I know we spent about 200. so there are three amounts on my back "holding" and those three amounts do not even come close to the 200.

I did request early seating. (but that is all you can request when you are booking-- and no consideration takes place in the time that you booked. (we booked over a year out)

For our cruise last week only the forward dining room lower deck 3 was for anytime dining. The upper deck 4 was used for traditional as was the entire aft dining room.

I woulda thought -- that with todays couples dining together (alone) while on vacation would be super important. I barely see my honey all year as our hours of working make us passing ships in the night - so vacation is the time we spend a considerable amount of time-- and I dont want to share with others-- especially with people who do not speak or understand english- is that mean of me?

Yes, that is just mean. Maybe they felt the same way about you.

It was an amazing week and I can put this cruise up there in my top 5 vacations.

But I do have questions:

About 2-3 weeks ago I emailed the Maître d' on SPlendor and requested early dining and a table for 3 people.

We did get early dining-- in the forward dining room at a table for 10 people. (our cabin was located all the way in the aft on deck 7)

I was not a happy camper. Same thing happened on the Victory 2 weeks ago when I sent that Mairtre D with a smimlar request but again that was denied.

I even did my request using John Heald.

so my question is-- how does some people get their request and others do not?

ok- so I saw we were at the table for 10-- with Asian people who did not speak English--

So I went to see the Maitre d-- I was very pleasant -- with my request.

He told me he has no tables for 3-4 people at early dining.. (consider if you will that I am platinum and it states that carnival will accomadate our dining preference-- that is for the time you want-- nothing else.

so since nothing was left we were forced to take anytime dining.

It all worked in the end because we went to the anytime dining room (forward deck 3 is for anytime dining) we went about 5:45 (15 minutes earlier then the 6pm stated time) and requested the same waiter each night.

My second question-- if my cabin was all the way in the back why would they put me in the dining room all the way forward-- that was a hike each night...(LOL)

They don't care.

My next question deals with the sign and sail card--

why is it hitting my bank today in little increments... and not all at once?

I know we spent about 200. so there are three amounts on my back "holding" and those three amounts do not even come close to the 200.

Oh no, you used a debit card?. If you used a debit they will place holds about every day tiki use it and them those holds could take up to 14 days to clear. You also might see one lump charge as well.

Oh no, you used a debit card?. If you used a debit they will place holds about every day tiki use it and them those holds could take up to 14 days to clear. You also might see one lump charge as well.

Nope- used a Visa credit card.

I thought maybe it was the three of us-- and the increments are what we charged but the amounts are so wrong too.

Never did get a statement. But maybe someone took it

Actually waiting in line is a cultural thing. We saw this all the time when we lived in Hawaii. People from 'line' cultures would think others were rude. People from 'non line' cultures would wonder why others were just standing around and then getting angry.

Actually waiting in line is a cultural thing. We saw this all the time when we lived in Hawaii. People from 'line' cultures would think others were rude. People from 'non line' cultures would wonder why others were just standing around and then getting angry.

Maybe they should try "Line Dancing "

We will be on the Splendor 4/19 and certainly hope our table for 4 at the late seating is taking care of. We always e-mail the Maitre D about 3 to 4 days away from our sailing and ask about accommodating our request very politely and have always been take care of with excellent tables. We are long time cruisers and are Diamond level with Carnival and love the late fixed seating. Sorry you did not get taken care of properly, but you stated that the Maitre D might be very tired from his long contract. John F

And what is with the people who step out of line and say-- oh i just want to grab a milk, move up a few I just want to grab a bagel then grab a spoon of eggs. Why cant those people wait in the line like every one else?

I do understand if you just waited but you forgot butter. or the bread-- but to do that for the entire line just is not right.?

I've seen it on a number of cruises - nothing to do with the passenger makeup. I always remember the gal who stepped in front of me at the breakfast buffet and said "I just want scrambled eggs." I replied, "And I just want corned beef hash." Didn't faze her one bit.:rolleyes: They're right up there with the seat savers.

Were you on the Eastern or Western sailing? Looking for a copy of the Western Funtimes to plan Steakhouse and/or Chef's Table.

Cozumel, costa maya, cayman and Roatan

there are 3 nights that have the "fancy" shows.

Chefs table was only one night of the cruise-- you didnt get to pick what night that was.

and the third night had the weakess menu for us

When are you going? the current CD is leaving the end of March too

I think there are other cultures that don't follow the stand in line, wait your turn rule like we were brought up to follow. Although, I am finding more and more that simple manners have gone by the wayside with quite a bit of the population. I am 43 and sadly going into the next faze of my womanhood so my hormones can't handle the buffet this trip and my husband and I have already agreed to avoid it :o

Next question is regarding the buffet. and the lines

How hard is it for people to get in line-- make a choice and move to the next item.?

I can not believe that one day took me over 30 minutes to get through that line at lunch time. 30 minutes??

One day at breakfast it took over 20 minutes.

So my question is-- is this a cultural thing? We sailed with a lot of Asians who were booked as a VERY large group. And trying to be politically correct I am really needing to know the answer to that-- and not being prejudiced in any way shape or form.

I feel the same way, life is so hectic I really just want a table with my family/friends now. There were times I enjoyed being seated with others but I just really don't anymore. I'm social in other ways but don't feel like doing it over meals.

I don't think it is mean that you would want to be able to speak with folks in the English language at your meal. It is possible they felt the same way.

His name is Ramesh and he is the best Maître D Carnival has . They spend countless hrs trying to accommodate everyone , not always possible . I've seen him get screamed at , and I mean screamed at for such silly things . They try to seat people with children together , solo cruisers , same age bracket . Not an easy job . They only have so many tables for 2 and can't please everyone . Gold Pearl is for early and late dining and Black Pearl is mainly for YTD, with overflow of early and late. Is he expected to know that a gentleman or lady weighs 450 lbs and will not fit in a booth . They don't have a crystal ball . Put yourself in his shoes for a bit . You will understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been a few years since we have cruised. Going in November on the Victory. There will be 6 of us and our reservations are linked together. So is it best to email them before your cruise if you want a table for 6 only. It will be over Thanksgiving and our kids, grandkids flying to meet us so we would prefer just a table for us. How far in advance do you email and is that email address for every ship? Thank you!!