Best to get over to St. John

takodasmom

What is the best way to get over to St. John's for a group of 7. We have some in our group the want to snorkel and others that just want a relaxing day at the beach with some kind of shade so I was thinking of going to Trunk Bay unless there is better option.

Most people like to do it on their own by taking a taxi to the Red Hook ferry to St John and a taxi to Trunk. Best to get off the ship as early as possible to maximize time on St John.

Some ships offer an amazing on your own excursion that's a ferry directly to St John from the ship. More convenient but less time on beach usually.

Lots of threads on getting to St John with total prices.

The most popular way that gives you the utmost flexibility and time on STJ is to grab a taxi going directly to the Red Hook ferry and grab a ticket at the terminal and get in line. The ferry departs Red Hook on the hour. If the weather is nice grab seats on top for those who want that.

Grab a return ferry that gives you plenty of time for the ride back, allow at least 2 hrs from the Cruz bay terminal to get back by your BOB time.

Cost from Havensight is $20 RTtaxi, $14 RT ferry, $14 RT taxi to Trunk or ~$48pp roundtrip.

Having said that, I would strongly recommend a different option. Sapphire Beach is a beautiful beach right on St Thomas is right near Red Hook and offers great off-the-beach snorkeling, and has food and drink options as well as chair and other rentals. Gorgeous beach with nice island and water views for the relaxers, and good snorkeling for the snorkelers. Roundtrip taxi is $20pp and you'll have another 1.5 - 2 hours to enjoy there vs going to STJ.

So 2 great choices - good luck! :)

The most popular way that gives you the utmost flexibility and time on STJ is to grab a taxi going directly to the Red Hook ferry and grab a ticket at the terminal and get in line. The ferry departs Red Hook on the hour. If the weather is nice grab seats on top for those who want that.

Grab a return ferry that gives you plenty of time for the ride back, allow at least 2 hrs from the Cruz bay terminal to get back by your BOB time.

Cost from Havensight is $20 RTtaxi, $14 RT ferry, $14 RT taxi to Trunk or ~$48pp roundtrip.

Having said that, I would strongly recommend a different option. Sapphire Beach is a beautiful beach right on St Thomas is right near Red Hook and offers great off-the-beach snorkeling, and has food and drink options as well as chair and other rentals. Gorgeous beach with nice island and water views for the relaxers, and good snorkeling for the snorkelers. Roundtrip taxi is $20pp and you'll have another 1.5 - 2 hours to enjoy there vs going to STJ.

So 2 great choices - good luck! :)

Forgot to add that Sapphire also has abundant natural shade while most other beaches do not. So Sapphire is a great beach for those who just want to relax and enjoy the views while enjoying the shade too.

Webcam and drone video of Sapphire -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

Edited by blue_water

Forgot to add that Sapphire also has abundant natural shade while most other beaches do not. So Sapphire is a great beach for those who just want to relax and enjoy the views while enjoying the shade too.

Webcam and drone video of Sapphire -

http://www.sapphireinthesun.com

As someone who has owned a 2nd home in St. John for 35 years, no one would chose Sapphire beach over a trip to St,.John. Sapphire is a nice beach --but does not compare to the St. John beaches --- St. John is a special place--mostly (2/3) national park. If you just want to enjoy a beach and have limited travel time go to Sapphire. If you want to see one of the world's special places --go to St.John

no one would chose Sapphire beach over a trip to St,.John.

Yes, STJ definitely has some beautiful beaches and views from the North Shore road and I don't mean to take away from that. A day trip to STJ is absolutely a great excursion to do on your own and I'm sure the OP will enjoy the day. Take an island tour for $25pp (with 7 ppl a Jeep rental isn't an option) then head for Trunk or Cinnamon and leave a little time for Cruz Bay for lunch and shopping.

I offered Sapphire as alternative based on the OP's desire for nice shade and good snorkeling, both of which Sapphire provides an abundance of. We love Tortola as a destination for the island and especially the people, but prefer the East End and Sapphire for the USVI experience. So just pointing out that everyone has different opinions which makes these forums great!

As someone who has owned a 2nd home in St. John for 35 years, no one would chose Sapphire beach over a trip to St,.John. Sapphire is a nice beach --but does not compare to the St. John beaches --- St. John is a special place--mostly (2/3) national park. If you just want to enjoy a beach and have limited travel time go to Sapphire. If you want to see one of the world's special places --go to St.John

As far as beaches go, I would choose Sapphire over St. John. I would also choose Lindqvist over Trunk or Cinnamon. But that is just my opinion--I think they each have their own special something that makes them unique. They are all beautiful and you can't go wrong with any of them.

As far as beaches go, I would choose Sapphire over St. John. I would also choose Lindqvist over Trunk or Cinnamon. But that is just my opinion--I think they each have their own special something that makes them unique. They are all beautiful and you can't go wrong with any of them.

I would agree that they are all great!!! We can all have different opinions--but most travel magazines, experts, etc would disagree with choosing a St Thomas beach over any beach on St. John.

Also most residents ans frequent visitors to St. John don't go to Trunk or Cinnamon beaches--others are better and less crowded.

Bottom line is I agree anyone should enjoy any of the St. Thomas or St. John beaches---they are one of natures great gifts.

Yes Maho, Francis, and Waterlemon are favorites of friends and great options for those comfortable with going a bit further to get away from the crowds. The ship excursion to STJ is quite popular to both newcomers and return visitors, you'll find more return visitors using the the self-excursion option.

And yes, well put - anyone lucky enough to visit the islands will find beautiful beaches and charming towns and people on each island. STJ has much beauty to offer.

Yes Maho, Francis, and Waterlemon are favorites of friends and great options for those comfortable with going a bit further to get away from the crowds. The ship excursion to STJ is quite popular to both newcomers and return visitors, you'll find more return visitors using the the self-excursion option.

And yes, well put - anyone lucky enough to visit the islands will find beautiful beaches and charming towns and people on each island. STJ has much beauty to offer.

A suggestion is to take the ferry to St John then to hike the national park trail to Honeymoon Bbeach, a 30 minute hike. we did it with the ship sponsored Eco Tour and plan to do it on our own next time.

• 4 weeks later...
When we did this we just grabbed a taxi at the pier to the Ferry...got ferry tix and took the ferry over to St John (we rented a jeep in St John). Just make sure when you come back that you allow a few hours to get back to the boat....

Where/what company did you get your rental from?

I have to agree with St John being a special place. We choose cruises that go to St Thomas specifically so that we can get over to St John. You are a lucky person to have a home on such a perfect island! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Most people like to do it on their own by taking a taxi to the Red Hook ferry to St John and a taxi to Trunk. Best to get off the ship as early as possible to maximize time on St John.

Some ships offer an amazing on your own excursion that's a ferry directly to St John from the ship. More convenient but less time on beach usually.

Lots of threads on getting to St John with total prices.

Having done it both ways, the ship excursion is the most convenient. Gives you plenty of time in St. John's.

For the ship's excursion "on Your Own" (RCCL)....Is the return from St John at a specific/exact time or does the ticket allow the flexibility if you wanted a different ferry (earlier)?

Thankx.

How far and how long does it take for the ferry to St. John? I'd love to go, but I don't want to spend half the time there traveling to and from St. John.

The best option on your own is to ferry to Red Hook on the East End and take the 15 - 20 min ferry to Cruz Bay. You can shop Cruz or take a 15 min taxi to a beach for a bit. Figure another 1.5 - 2 hrs travel time to STJ...

How far and how long does it take for the ferry to St. John? I'd love to go, but I don't want to spend half the time there traveling to and from St. John.

This is our concern as well, I would love to visit St John since we have been to St Thomas last 2013.

Just worried about the travel time, I would rather have a nice relaxing beach day.

The best option on your own is to ferry to Red Hook on the East End and take the 15 - 20 min ferry to Cruz Bay. You can shop Cruz or take a 15 min taxi to a beach for a bit. Figure another 1.5 - 2 hrs travel time to STJ...

Thinking of going to St John on our own as well. We'll be in port from 8am - 6pm. So the travel time to St John is 1.5-2 hrs, round trip?

4 ships in port on Dec 15, 2015 (Carnival Glory, Oasis Of The Seas, Celebrity Reflection, Norwegian Escape). I'm a little worried about the traffic if we go to St John.

If we decide to stay in St Thomas, what would be the best beach? We want to try Sapphire or Coki. We can always go back to Magens as well.

Thank you so much for all you help.

Yes, add another 2 hrs or so round trip if going on to a beach on STJ. Definitely worth the time, but if you want more time to relax Sapphire would be a good choice, just a few minutes from red Hook. The nicest beach is Lindqvist but not as many amenities yet

Here's a map that's helpful -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Edited by blue_water

Yes, add another 2 hrs or so round trip if going on to a beach on STJ. Definitely worth the time, but if you want more time to relax Sapphire would be a good choice, just a few minutes from red Hook. The nicest beach is Lindqvist but not as many amenities yet

Here's a map that's helpful -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Thank you very much! [emoji2]

I just googled Lindquist and looks like a really good choice as well. We are fine sitting on towels under the tree for a few hours. I hope the restroom they are building will be finished by December this year.

Thank you very much! [emoji2]

I just googled Lindquist and looks like a really good choice as well. We are fine sitting on towels under the tree for a few hours. I hope the restroom they are building will be finished by December this year.

We think that Lindqvist is one of the most gorgeous beaches we've had the pleasure to visit. Many people prefer Trunk and Cinnamon but we love Lindqvist and Sapphire. We stay on Sapphire when on a land vacation there because it's the nicest beach that you can actually stay on. But Lindqvist is stunning! :)