Muster drill with Celebrity?

kqcallahan

We are usually on time and have been able to get a good seat in front of the video. I am so glad not to have to put on a sweaty lifejacket worn by the previous cabin's occupants while standing in the hot sun. Always grossed me out. :eek:

If the muster drags on -- it is probably because someone is trying to be cute and is trying to skip the drill. They usually get caught. It is one of the few requirements needed for the cruise - and is not worth skipping considering the consequences.

Since no one is assigned to a particular lifeboat, or even a lifeboat area,

Although I totally agree with the point you make regarding the way it used to be done when we all went to the lifeboats, the above statement is not really correct.

Everyone (including staff and crew) is assigned to a lifeboat. In the case of passengers, your lifeboat number is printed on your seapass card.

Check the card on the cabin door to find where you meet. Might be the theater, MDR or some other location. Just go there when you hear the announcement. No life Jacket needed. You will find a letter and number on your Seapass Card, for example A1. Keep card in hand as you go to your assigned meeting place. Someone will be holding a sign with your number. There will be someone at the door to check you in. Very, very simple.

My husband likes when we get the drill on the MDR, gives him time to "study" the Wine list... ;);)

.....Everyone (including staff and crew) is assigned to a lifeboat. In the case of passengers, your lifeboat number is printed on your seapass card.

On which cruise ship and how recently did you have a lifeboat number printed on your seapass card?

I got curious reading this as I did not recall having a lifeboat number on my seapass cards, so I just looked at my last 4 Celebrity seapass cards, which happen to be close at hand.

None of them have a lifeboat number, only the number of the assigned muster station.

There would really be no way for them to predict in advance which specific lifeboat you would use in case of emergency because there are so many potential variables. That is why they just request that you go to your muster station and be directed to a lifeboat there.

In case of emergency if your muster station is in an area of danger, then the crew is supposed to direct you to another, safer area.

Let's hope that they would do so and that we never actually need to find out.

Varoo, you are partially correct.

The seepass directs people to a muster station. On the seapass are a letter and a number 'A1' for example. This means Muster Station 'A', section '1'.

The muster station will be a physical room (in the case of 'A' it will be the front muster station, usually the theater, then B & C and possibly D on larger ships further to the rear).

Within the muster station there will then be sections, so section A1 will be indicated by a paddle board.

You are correct that within that system each section leader may then be instructed to do something other than take you to an assigned lifeboat (some may not be usable of course) but in the simple scenario each section relates to a single lifeboat.

The system is actually much more sophisticated than most people realize. It is no longer necessary to take a role call for example, although this is done during a drill.

Although I totally agree with the point you make regarding the way it used to be done when we all went to the lifeboats, the above statement is not really correct.

Everyone (including staff and crew) is assigned to a lifeboat. In the case of passengers, your lifeboat number is printed on your seapass card.

Sorry I believe you are incorrect. There is no assigned lifeboat. In the even t of a real emergency requiring evacuation all lifeboats may not even be usable and passengers would be evacuated by the most efficient manner. Think about how hard it would be to get people to a specific lifeboat if the ship needed to be evacuated quickly or was listing or damaged in one area.

And I'll let you in on another fact I've read (although I've not verified it): Newer larger ships, including Celebrity's S class ships do not have enough lifeboat capacity for all passengers and crew on board. Before you panic, be aware that these ships are equipped with Marine Evacuation Systems. The S class ships have 4 of these systems on board, each with a capacity of over 400 people. These systems are much more efficient at evacuating passengers than the lifeboats and I believe they can be used in situations, such as listing where lifeboats might not work. The ships also have a large number of rafts that auto inflate. These are all those canisters located on the promenade deck.

Info on the Marine Evacuation System:

marinark_530x348.jpg

[YOUTUBE]t8cR-hY9PGk[/YOUTUBE]

Been on three HAL cruises and they did this. Do they always do it? Hard on the legs waiting for laggards. Cudos to Celebrity that you get to sit down.

Only if you get there early enough for a seat. I've never felt comfortable with the X gathering led by someone such as the cruise director compared to the serious no-talking, names checked nature of HAL's drill managed by Dutch officers. The last one on Constellation in December was chaotic in the jam-packed lounge outside the dining room. Most people standing, many talking, no information imparted.

To answer the question about the difference in standing by the lifeboats, when people are lined up in front of one of a means of emergency disembarkation in a smaller group of quiet people, facing the big ocean, you may pay more attention and listen to what us being said and demonstrated.

Sorry I believe you are incorrect. There is no assigned lifeboat. In the even t of a real emergency requiring evacuation all lifeboats may not even be usable and passengers would be evacuated by the most efficient manner. Think about how hard it would be to get people to a specific lifeboat if the ship needed to be evacuated quickly or was listing or damaged in one area.

And I'll let you in on another fact I've read (although I've not verified it): Newer larger ships, including Celebrity's S class ships do not have enough lifeboat capacity for all passengers and crew on board. Before you panic, be aware that these ships are equipped with Marine Evacuation Systems. The S class ships have 4 of these systems on board, each with a capacity of over 400 people. These systems are much more efficient at evacuating passengers than the lifeboats and I believe they can be used in situations, such as listing where lifeboats might not work. The ships also have a large number of rafts that auto inflate. These are all those canisters located on the promenade deck.

Info on the Marine Evacuation System:

marinark_530x348.jpg

[YOUTUBE]t8cR-hY9PGk[/YOUTUBE]

I think this angled escape chute would be better for cruise ships.

We got off the Reflection 3 weeks ago and during the muster drill we were told that we would all fit in 2 life boats and they told us the life boat numbers, although, I couldn't hear what they were due to the constant talking at our table.