Decline in quality??

allen.crawford

Ah yes, I do remember all of the elegance of Rotterdam V. My favorite recollection (and favorite public room) was dancing and listening to a full orchestra (with string instruments included) in the Ritz-Carleton Ballroom, a spacious and elegant room that has never been duplicated. I heard that this ship is a hotel now in the Netherlands--is this true?

I heard that this ship is a hotel now in the Netherlands--is this true?

The Rotterdam V arrived in Gibraltar, UK (Spain) in JUL 04 after a lengthy lay up in Freeport, the Bahamas. She is currently being refurbished. Plans are in place to bring her to Rotterdam, the Netherlands to use her as a floating hotel and museum

Zlato and John -

ROTTERDAM (V) was purchased a few months ago by a company called De Rotterdam BV.

Latest word is that the hotel plan is out. Her cabins will be used as faculty and student housing for a technical university called InHolland. Students and faculty will help in restoration and upkeep of the ship. Public areas will be open to the public and used as museums, restaurants, etc. as originally planned.

I am sure this is a little bit of a disappointment for those of us who hoped to be able to stay on board but it sounds to me like a good plan and I am glad that she will be preserved.

For information and updates on ROTTERDAM, I highly recommend the Steamship Rotterdam Foundation web site.

Yes, she is.

We saw her tied up in Freeport when we were there on Amsterdam.

It was so very sad to see her looking so deserted. Some stewards were standing in Lido windows staring down at her as we sailed into the harbor. They had lived/worked on her and the expressions on their faces showed their sorrow seeing her that way.

It's good she has been saved to continue on in a new capacity.....anything is very much better than letting her waste away. IMO

Zlato and John -

ROTTERDAM (V) was purchased a few months ago by a company called De Rotterdam BV.

Latest word is that the hotel plan is out. Her cabins will be used as faculty and student housing for a technical university called InHolland. Students and faculty will help in restoration and upkeep of the ship. Public areas will be open to the public and used as museums, restaurants, etc. as originally planned.

I am sure this is a little bit of a disappointment for those of us who hoped to be able to stay on board but it sounds to me like a good plan and I am glad that she will be preserved.

For information and updates on ROTTERDAM, I highly recommend the Steamship Rotterdam Foundation web site.

Doug, somehow I knew you would have updated info! Thanks bud!

Not a major point but for the sake of accuracy, I believe Prinsendam was originally built for Royal Viking....once a deluxe cruiseline; now out of business.

Sail, you are correct. As a Royal Viking fan from way back, the Prinsendam was originally built for the Royal Viking Line and sailed as the Royal Viking Sun ... a magnificent ship.

Wouldn't it be great if Capt. Gunderson had the same quality of passenger today that he had in 1988 when Royal Viking Sun was launched?

With the money that those passengers were willing to spend, HAL would be able to afford to offer a much higher quality of service and experience today.

When I worked on her in 1990, a 7-day cruise was about $6,000 per person.

Nobody cared about the price of anything. We didn't have to worry about people whining about the price of a coca-cola, or smuggling alcohol in listerine and shampoo bottles. Our clientele didn't think about skipping a once-in-a-lifetime shore excursion in order to save $2 on men's underwear at Wal-Mart (like many do today).

Back to the point of this thread. Is the quality and service on cruise ships slipping today?? Yes it is - but not nearly as fast as the quality of the Passengers.

Bruce -

How true, how true. My first cruise was back in the early 1970's -on an Italian ship...talk about class - the service & food quality was on par with teh finest European hotels. Today the salad bars & junk in the shops - overwhelm me.

How do people sit in a lounge & consistantly not drink or just order water. I did not begrudge the lines adding gratuities to drinks etc..I've seen many people stiff the service people.

I always say whatever happened to class. It is shocking what some people try to get away with these days.

That being said - on some ships I've met wonderful interesting people from all walks of life - it isn't so much -what you have - its what you do with it.

I think more people are cruising now, people who couldn't afford to cruise before?

Wouldn't it be great if Capt. Gunderson had the same quality of passenger today that he had in 1988 when Royal Viking Sun was launched?

With the money that those passengers were willing to spend, HAL would be able to afford to offer a much higher quality of service and experience today.

When I worked on her in 1990, a 7-day cruise was about $6,000 per person.

Nobody cared about the price of anything. We didn't have to worry about people whining about the price of a coca-cola, or smuggling alcohol in listerine and shampoo bottles. Our clientele didn't think about skipping a once-in-a-lifetime shore excursion in order to save $2 on men's underwear at Wal-Mart (like many do today).

Back to the point of this thread. Is the quality and service on cruise ships slipping today?? Yes it is - but not nearly as fast as the quality of the Passengers.

How do people sit in a lounge & consistantly not drink or just order water.

Ever think that some of those people just don't drink?

I do it all the time. I want to join friends in the lounge after the show ... enjoy some good conversation, but don't drink very much. I either order water or a Coke. If I only drink water, though, the bartender will bring it with my friends' drinks. At the end of the evening, I will always slip the bartender a couple of bucks for his trouble.

I'm not saying that everyone who only orders water is doing it because they don't drink. But some of us are honestly not just being cheap.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita -

The cheapies know who they are.....I've seen people sitting in lounges nite after nite not buying a thing.....thats what I mean.

Not everyone drinks alcohol for one reason or another - but after many a nite in Ocean Bars onboard HAL ships I stand by my comments. I'm not a big drinker myself but I do have one before dinner, wine w/ dinner & an after dinner drink at some point.

I find the lack of sophistication of many Americans(as compared to Europeans) to be a big divide. It isn't so much what we grew up with as the unwillingness to try something new(or in this case hold onto the $$$).

Its funny that the big postings on these boards are about bringing liquor onboard. What hotel can you sit in a lounge with your own cups or slurpee recepticles? For some - $100 a day or less i people expect 4 star treatment - its a joke. Days Inn is not the Ritz Carlton. why on these cruises do behave as such....the way they dress etc.

Thats what this was about - the type of people one meets onboard. I was taught to buy a bottle or two of wine for the dining table & then see who takes a turn...or even if people are interested - nothing set in stone. Well I gave up a few years ago. Now when the wine steward asks how many glasses I say one. Its too bad. Whatever happened to class!

Thats what this was about - the type of people one meets onboard. I was taught to buy a bottle or two of wine for the dining table & then see who takes a turn...or even if people are interested - nothing set in stone. Well I gave up a few years ago. Now when the wine steward asks how many glasses I say one. Its too bad. Whatever happened to class!

Another reason why we started getting a table for ourselves some years ago.

We used to enjoy sharing a table of six or eight but each cruise, we enjoyed it less and less. I can't count the times my DH would order wine for the table and most (though not all) would be shocked when offered it to all. They didn't 'get it'.

Not everyone drinks alcohol for one reason or another - but after many a nite in Ocean Bars onboard HAL ships I stand by my comments. I'm not a big drinker myself but I do have one before dinner, wine w/ dinner & an after dinner drink at some point.

You know, I got to thinking after I put the original post on this thread. When I was on Princess this past April, when you ordered water in a bar, they'd ask you whether you want a small or a large, and then brought you bottled water with a glass full of ice. Of course, you were charged for this. I would always get the large when I was planning on being in the lounge for a while, and maybe ask the waiter and some point to get me some more ice.

I had no problem with this at all. In fact, it worked out nice because if I didn't finish my water by evening's end, I could always take what was left to my cabin.

Maybe HAL should adopt this policy for the "cheapies?"

Blue skies ...

--rita

Kyros, I just wanted to reiterate your thought. I'm a recovering alcoholic sober for 25 years and while drinking in my presence is no longer any temptation, I really don't feel compelled to purchase wine for the table and I'd just as soon not get into explaining to tablemates why I don't care for a "drink" nor do I really want to sit around with a group that is drinking, be it social or otherwise. As soon as alcohol enters the picture, the dynamics change. As recovery programs remind people, a "drink" doesn't have to mean alcohol. Isn't soda a drink? Isn't water a drink?

As for sitting in the lounges at night and drinking a soda instead of a cocktail or an after-dinner "drink," whose business is it except for anyone but myself. I really don't think anyone on the cruise ship should be made to feel uncomfortable to be constantly pressured to order a "drink."

Archived