Docking location in Vienna

MalibooNewYork

Going on viking Danube Waltz cruise. Where does the boat dock in Vienna? I'd like to start doing some research on what is within walking and/or public transportation distance. thank you.
It's been three years since I've docked in Vienna, but the last two times (one originating, one transiting) we docked very near the Reichsbrucke (bridge). Vorgartenstrasse metro station on the U1 metro was an easy 5-10 walk from the boat. Stephansplatz (central) metro station was four stops away on the U1.

Thom

You are one excellent speller. thanks.
I got a chuckle out of "excellent speller":p. My spelling has ALWAYS been poor - the word "nemesis" appeared on my grade school report cards beside "Spelling" while everything else was "A"s. Hence my often quoted "Those who can only spell a word one way have a decided lack of imagination."

Between spell check and cut-and-paste I do sometimes get things correct:cool:

Thom

PS Vienna metro has half price senior tickets - over 60 for women, over 65 for men, I think.

Edited by TravelerThom

Yes, that's where all the boats were docked when we were in Vienna in September. There's a church within walking distance that's sort of pretty, and there's a park in the between the Danube & the canal that is good for recreation that you can walk to. If you took a bike from the boat, you'd have plenty to explore. If you hop the metro, you can be in the city center in about 15 minutes from the time you leave the boat.

I got a chuckle out of "excellent speller":p. My spelling has ALWAYS been poor - the word "nemesis" appeared on my grade school report cards beside "Spelling" while everything else was "A"s. Hence my often quoted "Those who can only spell a word one way have a decided lack of imagination."

Thom

LOL and Loving your spelling problem....I will now apply your philosophy to my mathematical skills....Hence, "those who can only find one solution to a math problem also have a decided lack of imagination!" (In my world of dyscalculia, any number with more than 2 digits is a foreign symbol) :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

LOL and Loving your spelling problem....I will now apply your philosophy to my mathematical skills....Hence, "those who can only find one solution to a math problem also have a decided lack of imagination!" (In my world of dyscalculia, any number with more than 2 digits is a foreign symbol) :D
Actually your answer is correct - you just have to find the proper base system that yields that answer. 11-dimensional String Theory anyone? [in my non-traveling life I'm a physicist.]

Thom

My next question will ask for recommendations on Viennese coffee houses with good pastries. I hope you guys participate since this has been so much fun.

We really enjoyed our visit to the "cafe Restaurant Residenz " in the grounds of the Schonbrunn Palace by the gates.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g190454-d1804838-Reviews-Cafe_Restaurant_Residenz-Vienna.html

A great way to finish off our tour there ..warm apple strudel with heaps of fluffy whipped cream and a big mug of creamy hot chocolate smothered in...you guessed it..whipped cream. In January, it was divine!

Beautiful chandeliers with white table cloths and waiters in black and white smart outfits.

Edited by remydiva

One of the Viking day trips included a ride on the Metro into downtown with a guide. We were given a roundtrip ticket by our guide and we optioned to stay longer and rode back on our own. we had an outdoor lunch at Demel's. Demel's is a great historic cafe/coffee shop with many desserts to pick from (sachertorte). Then we went to a free organ concert.

Plenty of free time to tour before returning to the ship. A wonderful day!!!

I don't think Vienna has any bad cafes or restaurants!! We ate at an open air cafe near the opera house and had wonderful sausages and streudel for dessert. Vantage had a shuttle running and after our walking tour we also opted to stay in Vienna for the afternoon and met the rest of our group at the Kursalon for our evening concert. We went to the park and saw the "gold" statue of Strauss and just enjoyed walking around the city, which is beautiful.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Your most welcome advice is now on my yellow tablet in my river cruise folder. On my first and only cruise, so far, and I'm not bragging, but fellow cruisers were surprised with my savvy. I praised CC to the skies and think I made a few converts.

I always say one can never have too much cream in one's life--cream cheese and/or whipped.

My next question is going to be: When your tour guide takes you into the city, do they take you to a good shopping area preferably with cafes? Bordeaux is my only reference point but our guide took us to the city center where there were tons of a wide variety of shops, cafes, restaurants, etc.

Yes, the standard place for the buses to/from cruise ships was just a few blocks from St. Stephen's cathedral, right in the city center. That is where tour guides would leave tour participants that didn't want to immediately go back to the ship.

I had the same experience as you on my first (and so far, only) cruise - everyone wanted to know how I was able to get around independently and occupy myself during our free time. It's because of Cruise Critic tips, and the months and months of research many of us do before the trips. For me, the planning/researching is just as much fun as the trip itself!

Yes, the standard place for the buses to/from cruise ships was just a few blocks from St. Stephen's cathedral, right in the city center. That is where tour guides would leave tour participants that didn't want to immediately go back to the ship.

I had the same experience as you on my first (and so far, only) cruise - everyone wanted to know how I was able to get around independently and occupy myself during our free time. It's because of Cruise Critic tips, and the months and months of research many of us do before the trips. For me, the planning/researching is just as much fun as the trip itself!

I think that's true of most of us on CC.....DH says he thinks I have more fun planning and researching than I have going!!! Not quite true, but not that far off either.

http://www.schoenbrunn.at/en/besucherinfo/cafes-restaurants.html we love visiting Vienna and will be there again in may on a river cruise. at the schoenbrunn there are a number of cafes. see link, our favourite is the café gloriette at the top of the hill in the gardens. lovely views.

1 thing we not enjoy so much is the prevalence of smoking in some eating places in Vienna. smoking is more common in Europe than in many places perhaps they are cheap and people less concerned about health effects?

it is a beautiful city with lovely gardens.

The dock where most all cruise ships disembark is very convenient; I took one of the small Uniworld bicycles and rode it into downtown and back, with several side trips, without getting out of breath. Took me no more than two hours, and was able to stop off for a beer and a snack on the way.

Vienna is a very convenient city to tour on foot, bicycle or public transit from the docking area. Have fun!

Thank you for thinking of me. I looked at the link and I didn't think it was possible to get more excited than I am already am but I did. I've put the Cafe Gloriette on my list and will look for it.

I have heard that smoking is more common in Europe but for some reason I have never really noticed it.

I think that's true of most of us on CC.....DH says he thinks I have more fun planning and researching than I have going!!! Not quite true, but not that far off either.

We are pretty intense planners too. But doing your "homework" sure does pay off in a big way! Though there are times when we just wander around and play it by ear, we are happier if we have an idea of what we want to do before we get there.

The Café Gloriette sure is in a marvelous setting, isn't it? This thread makes me want to go back to Vienna - we spent 2 days there in June 2013, right after the Danube flooded and all of the river cruises were canceled. Beautiful, and those 2 days were barely enough to scratch the surface.