Getaway Photo Review - Food Focus - Specialty Dining - Chef's Table - Viva Vino

megacruiser

StudioLounge1--Copy_zps9ae0f2f2.jpg

Excellent Bean-to-Cup Coffee Machine (free)...

StudioLounge2--Copy_zpsd812b7c5.jpg

Handy wine dispenser that keeps wine fresh (chargeable)...

StudioLounge3--Copy_zpsa4e06d57.jpg

Bar open for purchases from 5pm...

StudioLounge4--Copy_zps111dc7cc.jpg

Great reviews & photos, can't wait to see more!

Beautiful photos, what type of camera do you use?

Following ... great review! Thanks for all your work.

One question regarding embarkation - you mentioned that you got to the port around 10am and there were already about 40 people ahead of you; at what time did the check-in/security actually start and at what time were you allowed on-board?

DiningBreakfastTable-8038_zpsb62ddc13.jpg

DiningBreakfastDay2menu-6901_zpsc5d8075f.jpg

DiningBreakfastDay2menu-7557_zps49146df0.jpg

I started with a really delicious fresh fruit salad that was very fresh and well chilled with a good variety of fruit. Much better than the same dish on another cruise line I was on this month. :) In fact I think Breakfast is an NCL strong point. Many more options and more specials; I believe I experienced three different menus before they were repeated.

Fresh Fruit Salad...

DiningBreakfastDay2-6902_zpsf7335af6.jpg

Followed by the main event, a Daily Special, Bacon Waffles and Poached Eggs... A kind of variation of Eggs Benedict. I ordered it for the novelty factor. The eggs were nicely cooked; tasty runny yolks and, importantly, warm. The waffles were a bit spongy but they soaked up the yolks. The bacon was just a springkling of bacon bits – added a little flavour, but not much substance. Glad I tried it once and wouldn't totally rule it out in future.

Bacon Waffles and Poached Eggs and Hollandaise Sauce (plus link sausages)...

DiningBreakfastDay2-6909_zps34a8ee0d.jpg

I then headed up to Vibe Beach Club. It was empty, so I could choose my spot.

Deserted...

OpenDecksvibe-7565_zps516e1db3.jpg

Turned left before the hot tubs and at the far end behind the private cabanas, are two smaller cabanas for general us.

Spot the two mini cabanas at the end of the row of deckchairs...

OpenDecksvibe-7564_zpscc38ae97.jpg

I grabbed the second one from the end as it has a slightly better view of the sea. I loved this spot, very comfortable, quiet and relaxing with shade that I needed...

My own little private technology pod...

OpenDecksMiniCabana-6930_zpsebb91dd0.jpg

Loving your review! Thanks for all the hard work. I had to go back and read a couple of your other reviews while waiting for the next installment here. Your level of detail is perfect. Really nice pictures. You do a great job pointing out what isn't just right without coming across as a super fan where nothing can be wrong, or as a reviewer who can never be pleased. Thanks again!

S/F

Scott and June

• Administrators
I wanted to check-in early to avail myself of one of the Vibe Beach Club passes that are limited in numbers and sold on a first-come first-served basis. My plan was to be at the pier for 9.30am but there was a delay waiting for a taxi, so it was just before 10am. The taxi showed $14 on the meter and took 10-15 minutes. Getaway uses two terminals so be aware you need to go to the correct one. Mine was Terminal C, presumably because my cabin was in the forward part of the ship. There were already 30 or 40 passengers waiting for security to open prior to checking in.

MiamiCruiseTerminal-_zps5e52413b.jpg

My Boarding Group was number 5 but I think the groups are quite small, so I was aboard very shortly after the boarding process started. First stop was reception for the Vibe Beach Club pass. It costs $79 per person or $299 for a large private cabana for two, of which there are only five and that price includes $100 in onboard credit; so in effect only $20 per person more. They are an absolute bargain and I recommend couples snap one up if they get to reception quickly enough.

Next on the list was a visit to Le Bistro where I was able to book the Chef’s Table. It only takes place once and is normally limited to the first 12 passengers and usually sells out on the first day. It is $99 and, as it transpired, probably the biggest bargain I have ever had on a cruise.

Then a visit to the Booking Office to check availability for the Illusionarium for the first night, second show, which was showing as full before I came away. They were able to book me in and there is a 20% discount on the first night only. For those who take the Ultimate Dining Package, the Illusionarium is free on the first night. I decided against the UDP on this trip for two main reasons. I planned to dine at Ocean Blue once or twice and it is not included and similarly the Chef’s Table. So it would be less expensive for me to just pay as I went along.

I just started reading this review (I adore reviews w/ pictures!!) Did anyone else notice our banner in the pic?

Laura

Late morning I took a stroll around the open decks. Lots of deckchairs up top away from the main pool...

OpenDeckschairsquiet-7570_zpsa7a3efb1.jpg

Busier as you approach the main pool...

OpenDeckspeople-7571_zpsc6b464e0.jpg

The main pool area feels small and rather enclosed compared to the Epic...

OpenDeckspeoplepool-7572_zps9e5a54b2.jpg

OpenDecksKidsPool-_zps17a39141.jpg

Pool rules...

OpenDeckspoolrules-7338_zpsca677053.jpg

Megacruiser, regarding the solo week at a glance handout, did it seem standard? Do you think I would be safe making reservations accordingly? I loved doing stuff in the evenings with the solo group on the Epic. Loving your review, May can't get here fast enough. Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

Sorry I hoped to make more progress but got engrossed finding and editing photos that took rather a long time. I did promise to post the new Viva Vino Wine Packages list today, so I’ll post it now before I hit the sack. Feel free to discuss with each other. I will give my two-pennies-worth at a later time.

This is the badly Xeroxed list they were distributing...

Day1Misc-0002-3_zpsc61db37a.jpg

I have transcribed it for easier reading...

VivaVino1-0001_zps67923724.jpg

ffafd31a-14f9-427b-a04c-18d0b8d9af59_zpseb6613da.jpg

Good night...