Sofa Bed vs. Upper

carnival03

Is the sofa beds and the uppers roughly the same size? Anyone know and or have a preference?

I've slept on both and yes, they're pretty much the same size but it is so much more convenient to sleep on the sofa bed... I didn't think either were uncomfortable but, even though I'm only 5'8, I still kinda had a hard time getting up and down off of the upper... that ladder was just annoying!

If you can get a cabin with a sofa bed instead, I would go for it :)

*I should add that the sofa beds I've slept on were in OV cabins so I don't know if that makes a difference...

Edited by bajangoddess82

Please note that the "sofa bed" is the seating area of the actual sofa and not a mattress that gets pulled out from the inside of it.

Given a choice I would much rather sleep on top of the sofa than climb the ladder to the bed that pulls out from the ceiling. I outgrew the desire to sleep in bunk beds at about age 12.

Just got off Miracle and had a quad. They were both the same size, and a good size at that. My DH climbed up and tried out the top bunk and said it was sturdy and comfortable. The ladder is not comfortable to climb up as the rings are skinny. My daughter (a gymnast). Climbed up in the desk and jumped up instead.....we used the ladder to prop open the balcony door by opening the door wide and jamming the bottom of the ladder between the hinge, it was awesome!

Edited by Wavesprite

Both are the same size, give or take an inch. The sofabed is much better for me. I don't like the climbing up & down with the uppers, especially for those middle of the night nature calls. I outgrew the desire to sleep on top bunks at age -9 months. Never liked it.

Thanks for everyone's input. We have an 18 y/o and he has always slept on the sofa beds. However, we booked a guarantee balcony on the pride so I was just wondering the comparison just in case we get stuck with an upper.

I am only seeing 2 balcony rooms on Pride that would put a 3rd person in an upper bunk: rooms 6140 & 6143, unless I'm missing something or the deck plans are lying to me. If they give you a 4-person room, there will be an upper available, which does give you an option. But the default for the room steward will be to set up the sofa & leave the upper bunk in the ceiling. You could request the opposite of what they set up when you get on board.

Edited by k2excursion

A single sofabed is 32"x78". The standard twin beds are 33"x78". So the sofa is just as long as the regular beds, and only 1 inch more narrow. Upper bunk is 33"x78". Whether the sofabed is made up into a bed or not will have no impact on how cramped the room is. It is not a pullout. In fact, I think that the upper bunk being down makes the room FEEL more cramped, so it would be better to use the sofa for a bed.

Some people will still use the sofa as a bed for the 3rd person but ask the steward to put it back as a sofa during the day, which most of them will not automatically do. But that means that whoever is sleeping in that sofa has nowhere to nap during the day, which may or may not matter to that person.

Edited by k2excursion

A single sofabed is 32"x78". The standard twin beds are 33"x78". So the sofa is just as long as the regular beds, and only 1 inch more narrow. Upper bunk is 33"x78". Whether the sofabed is made up into a bed or not will have no impact on how cramped the room is. It is not a pullout. In fact, I think that the upper bunk being down makes the room FEEL more cramped, so it would be better to use the sofa for a bed.

Some people will still use the sofa as a bed for the 3rd person but ask the steward to put it back as a sofa during the day, which most of them will not automatically do. But that means that whoever is sleeping in that sofa has nowhere to nap during the day, which may or may not matter to that person.

Opinions vary I guess. I have been in plenty of rooms where the sofa was not as long as a traditional bed. As for cramped, when I get up in the morning and have no where to sit other than the bed, to me that is cramped. I am not going to sit on the edge of the bed for an hour trying to enjoy my morning coffee while I watch the news until my teen finally wakes up. He gets the pulman, I can sit on the couch when I wake up.

I was surprised that on Carnival they leave the upper bunk and the sofa bed down for sleep day and night. It does make the room feel smaller. On every other cruise line they put the upper back in the wall and the sofa bed back to a sofa during the day. Little kids love the upper but I think the sofa bed is more comfortable for a grown person.

I was surprised that on Carnival they leave the upper bunk and the sofa bed down for sleep day and night. It does make the room feel smaller. On every other cruise line they put the upper back in the wall and the sofa bed back to a sofa during the day. Little kids love the upper but I think the sofa bed is more comfortable for a grown person.

The reason that the room stewards leave them made up as a bed is because most people want it that way. But not everyone, so you can request it however you want it. No problem. They're just trying to get the jump on how most people want it. The reason that most people want it that way is that when the uppers are put away, the people who were sleeping in those beds have nowhere even to sit during the day. Forget about napping. When they're in the room, they have to stand, no place to sit. I've been in that position before, and it was quite annoying.

Going back to my last post, I do understand now why some people would prefer for their 3rd person to have an upper bunk rather than a sofabed. But, the sofas that are used as beds are most certainly just as long as the regular beds: 78". Some ships have rooms where the sofa is much smaller, however, those sofas are never designated as beds. The 3rd person would be designated for an upper bunk and never the small sofa. I believe that you have this with many balcony rooms on Triumph & Victory. I have had a 1A on Triumph & friends had a porthole on Triumph that had the small sofa, but those are never beds. 2 rooms on Triumph where the sofa was a bed, those sofas were 78". Sofas that are designated as beds will indeed be the 78" ones. Whether it is made up as a bed or not, it will take up the exact same amount of space. Making it into a bed just involves sheets being put over the seat of the sofa. It's not a pullout, so it won't take up any more space when it's a bed.

Edited by k2excursion

I've only done 4 person rooms with an upper and a sofa. The first time my 9 and 12 year olds both wanted the upper and took turns. The second one my 14 year old kept the sofa and my 11 year olds the bunk. Many 4 person rooms, particularly the insides have 2 uppers and no sofa at all and the room is a little smaller. One configuration I need to make sure to avoid it the one with a double pull out sofa and no upper.