? for those of you that sailed and used the UDP

Warm-Water Diver

When we've dined at the Specialty Restaurants on past cruises, I would just give my sail card (for simplicity and tracking charges etc) to the waiter and all of our cover charges would be shown on my card.

So how does that work with the UDP? Do you have to surrender all sail cards that purchased the UDP or will they still take only 1 card and somehow they know behind the scenes who purchased and who didn't and make the adjustments accordingly?

Or is it simply just a sticker applied to the sail card and everyone would have to surrender card to show the sticker?

Yes that's what I'm used to at the Specialties.

So how do they know who has the UDP and who doesn't?

Just guessing but if it is only a table of two and they are both in the same cabin you only show one card.

Yes that's what I'm used to at the Specialties.

So how do they know who has the UDP and who doesn't?

I think they assume if it is a couple, then if one person has the UDP, everyone does, since it's a program requirement. [Edit: My mistake. It's not a program requirement. Wasn't it at one point?]

When we sailed with my brother-in-law and sister-in-law, we were asked for one key card per stateroom each evening.

My wife and I traveled alone at Christmas, never got the stickers, but they still just took my key card every evening.

Edited by xriva

Just guessing but if it is only a table of two and they are both in the same cabin you only show one card.

Not for the 2 of us - not only did they take both cards on our recent Epic cruise, they gave us separate tickets, even though we were husband and wife in the same cabin.

BUT! I'm trying to remember if we had ordered drinks at each and every specialty. Since we had UBP also, that would explain taking both cards. I just can't remember though if we entered with drinks or ordered some/more while dining.

Not for the 2 of us - not only did they take both cards on our recent Epic cruise, they gave us separate tickets, even though we were husband and wife in the same cabin.

We cruised Star in January and every time it was both cards and 2 separate bills.

The wait staff have no way of knowing whether those who are dining together are in the same room and need to be certain each guest had the plan.

We didn't view this approach as a problem at all.

Can anyone explain the purpose of the stickers if your card is coded for the packages you bought? Either way the restaurant or bar has to swipe your card. So I am guessing the stickers must serve some purpose. Thank you.

Can anyone explain the purpose of the stickers if your card is coded for the packages you bought? Either way the restaurant or bar has to swipe your card. So I am guessing the stickers must serve some purpose. Thank you.
I'm guessing the server has to punch in the dinner differently, so you will not get charged. On one of my dinners, mine was not inputted properly and I was brought a bill for the cost of the dinner, even though I had the UDP. So I figured the card is not coded, but the sticker was there to advise the server how to input it. Edited by NLH Arizona

We cruised Star in January and every time it was both cards and 2 separate bills.

The wait staff have no way of knowing whether those who are dining together are in the same room and need to be certain each guest had the plan.

Nope, it wasn't a problem at all. I certainly don't think I implied that in my post, so I hope you didn't infer it. :)

We were on Star end of January and at the beginning of the 14 day cruise they collected both of our cards and we each received a receipt to sign. About half way through, each of the specialties began only taking mine and the first night that happened, made a point to state the word came down to start only taking one and put all charges on it. After that every specialty only took one card. Being only the 2 of us, not sure if it is any different if the table had more diners.

This is how it worked for us on the Pearl over the holidays.

Very simple.

Both of us received "bills" with everything itemized (including "extra cost" entrees and in one case also an "extra entree"), and they took a card from each of us.

Everything was zero'd out after they returned with the bill and our cards.

GeezerCouple

We were a table of 7 in Moderno, 3 different staterooms. They only asked for 1 keycard per stateroom. Each stateroom had to sign for their meal but they were $0 charges. I must tell you that our daughter did not have the UDP but we were never charged for her except for Cirque on the first night and that was at a reduced rate. I don't remember how much, but she never ordered off the children's menu in any restaurant.