Need help/opinions PRONTO

skydawg

Hi all,

Need to borrow from the wealth of knowledge out there. Background: DH and myself and my two besties (Bestie1 and Bestie2) booked two separate cabins on Jewel for this weekend's cruise to Southern Caribbean. We all live in different cities (Houston, St. Louis, and Dubai) but planned to meet in SJU and enjoy a great week together. Bestie1 made the reservation for her cabin and Bestie2 called and booked into her room paying her half.

Bestie1 booked a pedicure for her last day on board. Bestie2 had a son tragically killed last week. Bestie2 had cruise insurance (we all do) but she called RCCL yesterday and told them she would not be on board the Jewel and that she would have to file a claim with CruiseCare to get some of her money back. Bestie1 is preparing to get on the plane in Dubai to start her long journey and gets an email that her pedicure has been cancelled. She went to check her reservation and found none. She calls me freaking out (WTH?WTH?).

I called the Crown and Anchor desk to find out what had occurred. It seems whoever took the call from Bestie2 had cancelled the entire reservation. I said WHOA! Put Bestie1 back in her cabin. Poof! Cabin had already been resold. Our cabin will not accommodate three people. RCCL said ALL cabins had been sold. Supervisor at RCCL was able to call someone in a cabin that would accommodate three people and swapped them into our cabin so Bestie1 would at least have a bed to sleep in (how romantic....just the THREE of us!).Incidentally, the ONLY notification she got about the booking cancellation was the pedicure cancellation. Nice job, RCCL!

I am told the supervisor at RCCL is actively watching for any cancellation so that Bestie1 can be put into her own cabin. What should my expectation be as far as recompense if that doesn't happen? Bestie1 should have her cruise fare lowered, yes? How about ours? Is there a chance they hold a cabin or two in abeyance for weird circumstances like these?

Discuss... and thanks in advance.

Sounds to me as if someone at RCCL made a mistake and misunderstood what bestie2 was calling to do, at least that would be my argument with RCCL. RCCL will still get ALL of their money because it's too late for a refund and bestie2 will be getting reimbursed from her insurance. So at this point, RCCL is not only out NOTHING, but have sold that cabin again making double the money on it. So I would definitely make the argument that this is THEIR fault and they need to make it right, even it means putting her in a upgraded at no additional cost if it becomes available. Otherwise they may owe her a refund for being a third guest versus guest 1 or 2 which are typically more, or maybe a nice obc. Even if they gave her all of her money in a refund or obc they'd still be ahead on the money because of bestie2.

As far as something else becoming available it's not guaranteed but it does happen that people either don't make it due to personal circumstance (such as bestie2), travel problems, or lack of proper documentation to board the ship. This will not be known until the ship sets sail and she should be at guest relations as soon as it does leave the port.

Interesting question. I have a number of thoughts on the matter. Just to keep them separate, I'll use bullets:

• Cruise fares are based on double occupancy, and your friend is now sailing single. However, since the woman who had to cancel will be relying on her Cruise Care for reimbursement, Royal Caribbean is still getting paid as if there were two people in the cabin.
  • It would seem that the reservations agent taking the phone call misunderstood the situation in canceling the cabin instead of the individual reservation.
  • IF you have to sail three in a cabin because of this mistake, I believe all three of you should get some compensation.
  • I would think there are always some empty cabins on board in case of emergency. Even if reservations can't get you one in advance, I would make sure you have documentation of the issue and go to the Purser's desk immediately upon boarding.

Just my two cents for whatever it's worth.

Keep it coming. I know they were looking to put us on the Celebrity ship at one point but couldn't make it work. I agree with the one poster about RCCL getting paid twice for the same thing. In an even stranger turn, you can get online right now and book a cabin ON THIS BOAT. So what they are telling me about it being full appears to be BS.

So at the moment at least you will still all be going, even if B1 has to share a room with you.

Keep after RC and if booking isn't helping, try resolutions. At the very least they owe B1 some money back or OBC since adding a 3rd person is cheaper.

Please post back and let us know how it goes.

FYI just tried a mock booking and although the only thing left is balcony, it wouldn't let me past the number of passengers screen. Could be the remaining one(s) are being held.

Edited by TBone2K

I would NOT have 3 in a cabin, no matter what!

Bestie 1 needs to call and make a HUGE stink..and get this straightened out. After all, it's HER reservation/cabin that has the problem...not yours! Let her handle it or your reservation could end up in limbo, too..the RCI reps are NOT on top of things, as you've found out!!!

They put Bestie1 in her own cabin (same deck as us!) and it seems to be resolved. Let's hope the staff at the boat get the word.... Thanks to you all for your input!

That's awesome! I was really hoping they would step up and do the right thing. Amazing though how this cabin just appeared when pushed a little harder :rolleyes:

Enjoy!!:D