Disembarking Question for the Seasoned Cruisers

So I have a question for the seasoned cruisers. We live in northern Florida (about 8 hours away from Fort Lauderdale), and just found out about a very important event we need to be back for the same day we return. We are sailing on Oasis in May. If we self embark meaning we carry our own bags off, should we be able to get off of the ship pretty. Can anyone tell me the earliest time you have been able to get off? Everything I've read shows that the ship comes in very early and I've seen where people have been off by about 6-6:30. Does anyone here have any experience in this matter? Thanks!

Edited by plannerchick80

So I have a question for the seasoned cruisers. We live in northern Florida (about 8 hours away from Fort Lauderdale), and just found out about a very important event we need to be back for the same day we return. We are sailing on Oasis in May. If we self embark meaning we carry our own bags off, should we be able to get off of the ship pretty. Can anyone tell me the earliest time you have been able to get off? Everything I've read shows that the ship comes in very early and I've seen where people have been off by about 6-6:30. Does anyone here have any experience in this matter? Thanks!

as soon as they allow you to disembark, which is usually 6 or 6:30 you can go if your carrying off. be up early to be first in line. That's a bummer you got to rush like that.

We have done self debarkation on the Oasis & Allure about a dozen times. We like to get off early due to the 15 hour drive to VA or due to an early flight. The Oasis & Allure dock very early compared to some other Port Everglades ships.

If your goal is to among the first off, he is my advice:

Skip breakfast as people will start lining up around 5:45 am on the "bridge" from the dining room to the lobby (you cannot line up inside the lobby). By 6:15 am the line will have extended all the way into the dining room and the cruise staff will be directing folks coming off the elevators to the dining room so there is no line cutting. There is another queue from the front but I have never waited there so I have no details.

Around 6:30 to 6:45am they start letting folks off. If you are near the front of the self debarkation line, the wait for customs is just a couple of minutes. If you choose not to line up early, you may end up waiting at customs just as long. Hopefully some other posters can share their Oaisis/Allure self debarkation experiences.

Edited by loudbmw

Those carrying their own bags go first...so as soon as they open the doors, you can start to leave. You won't be stuck until 8am, if that's what's worrying you.

You'll just have to get up early, get in line and be ready to roll! Hopefully, you'll make up time on the road!

Disembark off of Oasis 2 yrs ago - we were thru customs and in the cab by 6:40AM. Disembar last year off of Allure - we didn't hear the self disembark announcement so were delayed in our process. They hadn't started letting folks off the ship yet, but the lonngggggggggggg line was forming. We still made it to FLL airport by 7:30AM.

Be prepared and ready and you should have no issues!

Happy sailing and be safe.

Hi,

We just got off the Allure this past Sunday. We did the self disembark. We were on deck 5 ( where we disembarked) at 6:50. If we were supposed to be in any line, we didn't see one! There were 2 stations to " ding" out. If you can roll/ carry your luggage in one hand and have the other hand free, you will be told to take the escalator down to customs area. This will be much faster. There were 3 customs agents on duty. It went extremely fast. We made it out to the taxis by 7:10! I highly recommend this.

Ali

I had to call to double check on a few things with our cruise and they told us the earliest we could get off was 7:30, that there was no way we would be off any earlier. Do they say that just to cover themselves?

Royal Caribbean will cover what is necessary to cover, contractually, but in reality, most of the time, the ships are cleared earlier, and so disembarkation could start as early as 6:30.

Royal Caribbean looks at the disembarkation process, as stated in their contract that we all sign, as they are not responsible if there are delays, etc.

To the OP.........please plan accordingly!!:D

Rick

Don't skip breakfast. You'll need some starch in you for the very busy morning. Grab some snacks the day before. Bread, butter, cheese, yogurt, fruit, maybe some cereal and milk. It has worked for us.

Rick and Deirdra

You are not allowed to bring any non-packaged foods back into the US. This will slow your departure at customs.