Hal vs princess, a comparison

cruz chic

Is "appie" supposed to be a wordie in Engie?

Why yes. Yes it is. It's actually a department in grocery stores in the Northeast US. It's often located near the deli. (That's short for delicatessen. US is short for United States. "It's" is a contraction of the words "It" and "is.") As always, Mister Language Person is here to help.

Speaking of which, Dave Barry's new book, "Live Right and Find Happiness (Although Beer is Much Faster): Life Lessons and Other Ravings from Dave Barry" is available today. You should totally buy it.

A GOOGLE Quote

"Urban Dictionary: Appie

Appie. General term for a Dutch maestro or legend, based on the rare dutch

name. Variations include Appiejhan, Appiebahn and Appivoren. Can be unusually tall and/or handsome...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Appie - 52k -

Unquote

LOL Sorry couldn't resist as DH is an real Appie !:

Edited by serendipity1499

My responses are in red. I couldn't quote your responses.

>>I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I brought one bottle on, which I'm allowed as per princess policy. The steward was accusing me of more. What policy am I not aware of?<<

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that Princess was a fail because they didn't allow you to bring on as much wine as HAL would. I didn't take away that the Princess employee was questioning your honesty.

>>When was your last cruise?its not a matter of being confused. I specifically asked for a salad and was told that there was no appies.<<

I was on the Grand Princess in December. They offered a salad with my lunch on the first day. I don't recall about other appetizers. It's odd that they didn't, because this is a lunch they offer to people who do the Bon Voyage Experience (which is kind of a marketing thing), so they like it to be nice. Maybe they didn't have a BVE on your cruise and didn't offer everything. Of course, I was not on the Emerald. Everything can be different ship to ship, but I've always had a nice lunch menu on the first day.

>> I'm speaking of the MDR menu. Not sure why they would take the egg portion from a sandwich. I made a comment on the size and immediately ordered more food. <<

For some reason, I was thinking you meant room service and that's why I mentioned the breakfast sandwich. It's good that you asked for what you wanted when you didn't get it to start with.

>>I was asked to do a comparison by another cc member and that is what I did. I'm sorry that this has caused so much upset for you. This is why there are so many lines. There was a couple doing their 200th cruise on princess at our platinum and elite party. He gave a ten minute speech and in the process had to put a slam in at hal in front of about 500 people. While I thought that was completely inappropriate it never occurred to me to wonder why he didn't enjoy the differences. We like what we like. Right?<<

I'm not upset. Everyone has the right to their opinions and I actually enjoy a level comparison.

>>Its the way you deal with they problem, not the problem itself. Princess did a lousy job handling the situation. I know that you will tell me I'm wrong but im the only person out of the two of us that was there. I do not read the princess forum that often. I was aware that there could be fog issues but not to this extent. Even yesterday I talked to a woman from Houston that tried to minimize the amount of times that fog is a problem. Lesson learned.<<

I'll give you that. I was not there.

Here's the thing for me. I've sailed on HAL twice and both times have been pretty bad overall. There was good and bad. After my first time, it took me 12 years or more to try one again. The second one was a bigger nightmare in many ways. In retrospect, I just think I happened to have bad luck. I choose to think that one of these days I'm going to have a great cruise on HAL and do plan to cruise with HAL again. You obviously had some bad luck. Maybe I read too much into your post. Sorry you had a bad experience. I hope your next cruise is better.

About the embarkation lunch - we were told before being seated that the menu was very limited due to an event on board. This was accurate, so I can't say "HAL wins". I've read of times HAL doesn't even have the embarkation lunch because of hosting local TAs.

We only had breakfast in the MDR the first morning. The ham we were served wasn't edible. It wasn't the color of any ham I've ever seen and it was beyond dry and tasteless. The toast we were served should have been described as 'Melba toast'. Again, incredibly dry. The food in the Horizon Court was good and the seating there is far better than in any HAL Lido we've seen. The service there also outshines HAL.

We had very nice dinners at the Crown Grill (which we prefer over the Pinnacle Grill) and the Crab Shack (nothing on HAL is comparable).

We had a 2:30 flight home. We did notice a sense of urgency from Princess to get passengers to the airport. That said, we barely missed our flight and are still in Houston waiting for our new flight this evening. As passengers who were actually impacted by the delay, we don't blame Princess in the least.

I will continue to sail on Princess and from Houston again. I won't be booking air home on the day of disembarkation in the future though.

I was also on this cruise so my opinion comes from our experience. We do realize that others will have had different experiences.

Speaking of the HAL lunch on the first day, it's a Mariner lunch....so you can't have it if you're not a Mariner and that's if they offer it.

My responses are in red. I couldn't quote your responses.

>>I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I brought one bottle on, which I'm allowed as per princess policy. The steward was accusing me of more. What policy am I not aware of?<<

I'm sorry if I misunderstood your post. I thought you meant that Princess was a fail because they didn't allow you to bring on as much wine as HAL would. I didn't take away that the Princess employee was questioning your honesty.

>>When was your last cruise?its not a matter of being confused. I specifically asked for a salad and was told that there was no appies.<<

I was on the Grand Princess in December. They offered a salad with my lunch on the first day. I don't recall about other appetizers. It's odd that they didn't, because this is a lunch they offer to people who do the Bon Voyage Experience (which is kind of a marketing thing), so they like it to be nice. Maybe they didn't have a BVE on your cruise and didn't offer everything. Of course, I was not on the Emerald. Everything can be different ship to ship, but I've always had a nice lunch menu on the first day.

>> I'm speaking of the MDR menu. Not sure why they would take the egg portion from a sandwich. I made a comment on the size and immediately ordered more food. <<

For some reason, I was thinking you meant room service and that's why I mentioned the breakfast sandwich. It's good that you asked for what you wanted when you didn't get it to start with.

>>I was asked to do a comparison by another cc member and that is what I did. I'm sorry that this has caused so much upset for you. This is why there are so many lines. There was a couple doing their 200th cruise on princess at our platinum and elite party. He gave a ten minute speech and in the process had to put a slam in at hal in front of about 500 people. While I thought that was completely inappropriate it never occurred to me to wonder why he didn't enjoy the differences. We like what we like. Right?<<

I'm not upset. Everyone has the right to their opinions and I actually enjoy a level comparison.

>>Its the way you deal with they problem, not the problem itself. Princess did a lousy job handling the situation. I know that you will tell me I'm wrong but im the only person out of the two of us that was there. I do not read the princess forum that often. I was aware that there could be fog issues but not to this extent. Even yesterday I talked to a woman from Houston that tried to minimize the amount of times that fog is a problem. Lesson learned.<<

I'll give you that. I was not there.

Here's the thing for me. I've sailed on HAL twice and both times have been pretty bad overall. There was good and bad. After my first time, it took me 12 years or more to try one again. The second one was a bigger nightmare in many ways. In retrospect, I just think I happened to have bad luck. I choose to think that one of these days I'm going to have a great cruise on HAL and do plan to cruise with HAL again. You obviously had some bad luck. Maybe I read too much into your post. Sorry you had a bad experience. I hope your next cruise is better.

I think you are reading way too much into what I write. I did a comparison. I wouldn't call the cruise a "bad experience". I did enjoy it very much. I just feel in the areas that I like, hal is a better fit. It just like you feel that princess is a better fit for you. If memory serves me right, you are picking hals older ships for your cruises. Even I generally don't like to do that. I wouldn't do that on princess either. It's true the ending was not good on my cruise, but it doesn't mean the whole cruise was a write off.

As far as the lunch goes on princess, it was explained in another post that this was a one off lunch and not the usual lunch. That was not explained to me by princess. I do know what a Bon voyage lunch is.

Speaking of the HAL lunch on the first day, it's a Mariner lunch....so you can't have it if you're not a Mariner and that's if they offer it.

If you've sailed on any lines under the carnival banner before you will qualify so this is really a non issue. I have over 300 days with hal and I always go to the MDR for lunch. It has never been closed that I recall. Does it happen? I'm sure it does but not as often as is posted on this board. I'm willing to bet that if someone with no cruise days showed up there, they likely wouldn't be turned away. Just an fyi, I've been turned away on the sapphire princess for lunch when I was told it was only for b2b Passangers.

I hear the showers are bigger on the newer ships on princess but I'm not sure. That's a step in the right direction. I hope you'll join us on the Veendam. Bermuda is SO beautiful. Behave on the apple:D;).

Nope. On Regal and Royal, the showers along with the staterooms are just as microscopic as the rest of their fleet.

The letter with the little dot at the top is a lowercase I. She's talking about appetizers, not apples.

While we're only four stars on HAL, we happen to be super deluxe in both written and spoken English. ;)

I'm a little late to this thread but I have to give you mad props!!!!

I'm only a lowly one star ( soon to be 2 ) and knew Ms Cruz Chic meant appetizers.

Again, I thank you for making me giggle today :)

I think that entirely depends on the ship and itinerary. I don't recall seeing Dutch food in the lido but it's not my favorite place to eat. I don't take European cruises, so my experience has been concentrated to North and South America. I would hate for that poster to be disappointed depending on where they want to cruise. The only Dutch item I've seen is bitterballen.

It's there. DW's dad likes the Lido for breakfast and we spotted quite a few Dutch items. Now that the Dive In is open, I'm not sure where the Frikandel got to, though. I assume that it's somewhere. Try it the next time you cruise. It's like a hot dog version of bitterballen. (That's probably inaccurate, and will result in my being slapped down by someone who knows better - Hoofd klap - but that's what they remind me of.)

Why yes. Yes it is. It's actually a department in grocery stores in the Northeast US. It's often located near the deli. (That's short for delicatessen. US is short for United States. "It's" is a contraction of the words "It" and "is.") As always, Mister Language Person is here to help.

Speaking of which, Dave Barry's new book, "Live Right and Find Happiness (Although Beer is Much Faster): Life Lessons and Other Ravings from Dave Barry" is available today. You should totally buy it.

THAT is who you remind me of being, Mr. Barry! Are you ? If so you/he are fantastic.. If not, well, you are still pretty awesome! Almost as awesome as Huskerchick's hands.

Nope. On Regal and Royal, the showers along with the staterooms are just as microscopic as the rest of their fleet.

At least in some cabins, the showers are bigger. I was in a balcony cabin on the Marina deck of the Regal, and the shower is a longer rectangle rather than a square, and even has a small shelf at the end. It was useful for leg shaving.

Now the balcony--that was microscopic. ;)

THAT is who you remind me of being, Mr. Barry! Are you ? If so you/he are fantastic.. If not, well, you are still pretty awesome! Almost as awesome as Huskerchick's hands.

No. He's much funnier.

It's there. DW's dad likes the Lido for breakfast and we spotted quite a few Dutch items. Now that the Dive In is open, I'm not sure where the Frikandel got to, though. I assume that it's somewhere. Try it the next time you cruise. It's like a hot dog version of bitterballen. (That's probably inaccurate, and will result in my being slapped down by someone who knows better - Hoofd klap - but that's what they remind me of.)

So is it more brekie (aka breakfast:D) items that are Dutch or do they have lunch items too?

So is it more brekie (aka breakfast:D) items that are Dutch or do they have lunch items too?

Both, but I couldn't find the Frikandellen. They used to be by the pool grill, but they're not anymore. In all fairness, I didn't really look very hard. I'm guessing that they're somewhere. They were pretty popular with the Dutch passengers. DW didn’t find them particularly compelling. She said it reminded her of a breaded, deep fried scrapple tube. (If you're from SE Pennsylvania or South Jersey, you know the texture.)

There's an interesting selection of sausages in the Lido, including things you don't see everyday, like jaegerwurst. I grew up in a "how do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it" household.

Both, but I couldn't find the Frikandellen. They used to be by the pool grill, but they're not anymore. In all fairness, I didn't really look very hard. I'm guessing that they're somewhere. They were pretty popular with the Dutch passengers. DW didn’t find them particularly compelling. She said it reminded her of a breaded, deep fried scrapple tube. (If you're from SE Pennsylvania or South Jersey, you know the texture.)

There's an interesting selection of sausages in the Lido, including things you don't see everyday, like jaegerwurst. I grew up in a "how do you know you don't like it if you haven't tried it" household.

Thx for the info. Hey, if it doesn't look good, I'm not eating it. Just the look of pickled herring turns me off.

Interesting comparison between the two lines. On another thread you have said several times you don't like people suggesting you "try a different cruise line if you don't like smoking on HAL balconies." Apparently you did anyway and still had someone smoking on their balcony.

Interesting comparison between the two lines. On another thread you have said several times you don't like people suggesting you "try a different cruise line if you don't like smoking on HAL balconies." Apparently you did anyway and still had someone smoking on their balcony.

I go between both lines and have for years. I'm struggling to find what your point is. Seems to me inconsiderate smokers are everywhere. It's a shame some folks can't follow the rules. I shouldn't have walked off the ship,without reporting that offender.

Edited by cruz chic

Re: appies. My DH would have no idea what was meant by that, despite his being well-educated, literate, and having English as his first language. :D For me, I first go to "Hmmm Appy as in 'Appaloosa?' " but quickly get to 'appetizer' :)

Aren't Appaloosas "Poozies?"

Funny about showers. On many HAL ships the bathrooms have tub/shower combinations which many like. But DW hates those things because it can be difficult for her to climb over the tub wall to get into the tub/shower. She actually prefers the showers on Princess, Celebrity, etc, since its easy to get in and out. On the other hand, if you ever drop a bar of soap in a Princess shower there is no way to pick it up until you are out of the shower :).

Hank

Funny about showers. On many HAL ships the bathrooms have tub/shower combinations which many like. But DW hates those things because it can be difficult for her to climb over the tub wall to get into the tub/shower. She actually prefers the showers on Princess, Celebrity, etc, since its easy to get in and out. On the other hand, if you ever drop a bar of soap in a Princess shower there is no way to pick it up until you are out of the shower :).Hank

You paint quite a picture Hank. :)

Aren't Appaloosas "Poozies?"

Poozies or Doozies??? :D POA, do you have any cruise reviews? As great as your SPB Research is those Poozies should be Doozies. :);)

Cruise line choices are a trade off of so many factors in relation to cost and values. HAL's strong point seems to be longer cruises and different itineraries. For example, HAL includes Sitka in it's Alaska choices while Carnival, Princess, and RCL do not.

Edited by qsuzi

Funny about showers. On many HAL ships the bathrooms have tub/shower combinations which many like. But DW hates those things because it can be difficult for her to climb over the tub wall to get into the tub/shower. She actually prefers the showers on Princess, Celebrity, etc, since its easy to get in and out. On the other hand, if you ever drop a bar of soap in a Princess shower there is no way to pick it up until you are out of the shower :).

Hank

I believe that's only the case of the older ships. The newer ones are not bad at all. I don't know why but every time I'm in a princess shower I swear I drop the soap at least 5 times. It was GLORIOUS to have a shower in my tub at home on Sunday.