Hal vs princess, a comparison

cruz chic

Thanks for taking the time to post your comparison. On our recent Princess cruise we were directed to a table when the x-ray detected wine in our luggage. We removed the wine for review; no questions or further checking. Is this the normal procedure?

Is an "appie" an appetizer? Good to hear the showers on HAL are bigger than Princess showers. I chuckled and identified with your leg shaving description. We also had some of the best meal service (MDR and buffet) on Princess but also read just the opposite from others who have recently sailed. We are looking forward to more and better food selections on HAL.

Balcony size is smaller on Princess and no couch so we book mini-suites (larger balcony but 50 ft less cabin size than HAL Vista Suite) and the daily cost was less than what we would have paid on HAL. Pictures we have seen look like Princess public space isn't as large and that the HAL Promenade decks are wider. Great for walking without running into other walkers. Did you find this to be the case? We also didn't experience a crowded feeling for the size of ship/total number of passengers on Princess (except embarkation lunch).

Your next cruise is on the Veendam to Bermuda if my memory is correct. Looking forward to your feedback after that cruise. :)

Yes, appies are appetizers. Just being lazy. I didn't notice the promenade deck being narrower but sometimes things like that are lost on me. Yes, you are correct about my next cruise. I hope to go on that one but I'll have to see what transpires in the next month or so. I have cancel for any reason insurance.

Pictures we have seen look like Princess public space isn't as large and that the HAL Promenade decks are wider. Great for walking without running into other walkers. Did you find this to be the case? We also didn't experience a crowded feeling for the size of ship/total number of passengers on Princess (except embarkation lunch).
The Promenade deck on The Emerald Princess is indeed narrower than on most HAL ships (the Prinsendam being the exception). This is why the Muster Drill taking place indoors makes sense for Princess - no way would all passengers fit out there at the same time. This also may be the reason Princess doesn't have loungers out there. There are deck chairs, but not enough room for loungers.

We've found the Princess public rooms not only larger than on HAL, but there are also more. Makes sense since there are more passengers.

We not only miss the Promenade loungers but also the hand held shower heads and cabin sofas when sailing on Princess. When on HAL we miss the International Café. We also prefer the open closet space and the nice number of electric outlets we have in the Emerald Princess cabins.

None of these are deal breakers. We happily sail on both lines.

The Promenade deck on The Emerald Princess is indeed narrower than on most HAL ships (the Prinsendam being the exception). This is why the Muster Drill taking place indoors makes sense for Princess - no way would all passengers fit out there at the same time. This also may be the reason Princess doesn't have loungers out there. There are deck chairs, but not enough room for loungers.

We've found the Princess public rooms not only larger than on HAL, but there are also more. Makes sense since there are more passengers.

We not only miss the Promenade loungers but also the hand held shower heads and cabin sofas when sailing on Princess. When on HAL we miss the International Café. We also prefer the open closet space and the nice number of electric outlets we have in the Emerald Princess cabins.

None of these are deal breakers. We happily sail on both lines.

Glad you remembered some of the other comparison items. points. Even if we have bad things happen and/or that we don't like about our impending HAL cruise, we will give HAL another try. It was a big change from Princess to RCL and our first RCL ship experience (Grandeur) was a big adjustment and we may have been over critical (loyalty to Princess)? RCL is now my husband's favorite cruise line.

Edited by qsuzi

Thank, cruz chic, for doing this review. I, too, was hoping you would!

You have answered a lot of the question I've had about Princess and gave me some ideas of more.

Right now I am waiting for a Princess "PCC" (what is the name for them on Princess??) to get back to me with some quotes and answers to my questions.

It is taking a lot longer than on HAL!

But right now Princess has some good cruises when and where I want and a lower exchange rate (Princess wins), minus all the 5 star rewards (HAL wins)

Glad you had a good time!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Thank, cruz chic, for doing this review. I, too, was hoping you would!

You have answered a lot of the question I've had about Princess and gave me some ideas of more.

Right now I am waiting for a Princess "PCC" (what is the name for them on Princess??) to get back to me with some quotes and answers to my questions.

It is taking a lot longer than on HAL!

But right now Princess has some good cruises when and where I want and a lower exchange rate (Princess wins), minus all the 5 star rewards (HAL wins)

Glad you had a good time!

The email I have says the person is called a princess cruise vacation planner. I asked for one to be assigned and it took a few requests. I'm not sure if they try to deter you. I have not booked anything thru her. Likely by the next time I do I'll probably forget that I have one.

Thanks for taking the time to give us your thoughts and comparisons!

While Princess is an "all round" better fit for us, we have always enjoyed our HAL cruises. :)

LuLu

That's the way that I look at it. I think princess does have a solid product but I just feel like hal is home to me. I'm not trying to put princess down but I'm an honest person. Some people don't enjoy straight forward people and comments. So be it. I can't be any other way as much as I try or people wish I was.

That's the way that I look at it. I think princess does have a solid product but I just feel like hal is home to me. I'm not trying to put princess down but I'm an honest person. Some people don't enjoy straight forward people and comments. So be it. I can't be any other way as much as I try or people wish I was.

Exactly the way we see it also. HAL and Princess do have a lot of similarities while also having lots of differences. We enjoy the similarities but whenever we see a difference, we enjoy the HAL product more than the Princess one except maybe for entertainment.

Even though we have booked HAL for the first time coming up in May, we have been wondering if we made a good choice. We have had 4 cruises with another line, and the last cruise we took with them wasn't so wonderful. Nothing disastrous, just kind of lack luster compared to our previous cruises. I personally have always wanted to try HAL. We found out HAL was doing the Boston to Bermuda itinerary, and this was our opportunity. We looked at several cruise lines, including RCCL, Celebrity, and Princess. HAL did have the advantage to us because they leave from Boston, which is a short drive so that saved the airfare headache. The more I read about HAL from CC, the more I believe it will be a good fit for us. Of course we still would love to try other lines and intineraries, but we are looking forward to seeing what HAL has to offer. Happy cruising!:D

Lorie

Even though we have booked HAL for the first time coming up in May, we have been wondering if we made a good choice. We have had 4 cruises with another line, and the last cruise we took with them wasn't so wonderful. Nothing disastrous, just kind of lack luster compared to our previous cruises. I personally have always wanted to try HAL. We found out HAL was doing the Boston to Bermuda itinerary, and this was our opportunity. We looked at several cruise lines, including RCCL, Celebrity, and Princess. HAL did have the advantage to us because they leave from Boston, which is a short drive so that saved the airfare headache. The more I read about HAL from CC, the more I believe it will be a good fit for us. Of course we still would love to try other lines and intineraries, but we are looking forward to seeing what HAL has to offer. Happy cruising!:D

Lorie

I hope this will be a good one for you. I have my own concerns about this ship given its age and the fact I like new ships. That said, I did a bermuda trip on her in 2010 and it was a good trip.

What would you pick for 30 something couple for a caribbean cruise, is HAL ok for people our age and do they have Dutch food as my wife is Dutch.

That depends. If you are more the self entertaining type you'll be fine on hal. If you like non stop activities I think you'll be bored. If you like a lot going on I'd be tempted to suggest Royal Caribbean but I have no personal experience. If you like a party you might like carnival. Not much Dutch food on hal I'm afraid.

What are there strengths?

The food is quite good. Breakfast has a great selection.

Rooms are larger than most cruise lines.

Staff is generally very friendly. I've had staff remember me from other ships I've sailed on very happy to see me.

You can stay in your stateroom until you disembark.

These are just a few things that I really like.

Edited by cruz chic

Finally got around to reading the OPs post and am still scratching my head about

"There was only mains with no appies and only soufflé for dessert" in reference to the MDR. Apples? Ok so lets trash a meal for lack of Apples (in about 4 years on many cruises we have never had an Apple in any MDR).

We do agree with some of the observations about HAL vs Princess. HAL certainly has a far superior room service breakfast menu. On the other hand, if I want to eat dinner on a Princess ship at 9pm it is not a problem (I can always go to the Lido) but on HAL the only option would be room service as the MDR no longer seats and the Lido is closed after 8pm (and reopens about 10:30 for a short late snack). And on many Princess ships we can go to the International Café 24 hours a day for decent fresh brewed coffee/tea and snacks whereas on HAL we would be stuck with room service coffee (not very good).

One huge difference between the lines (not mentioned by the OP) is what happens after 10pm (not much on HAL) but we will leave this topic for others :).

As to the smoking on a Princess balcony, yes it does happen and the folks doing this are violating the rules. But if nobody reports them (like the OP) then the problem will not be resolved. On the other hand, if I pay a lot of extra money for a HAL balcony and am surrounded by cigar/cigarette smokers there is no recourse other then to stay off the balcony.

We do like both lines (Elite on Princess and 4 Star Mariners on HAL) but now avoid HAL (with some exceptions) because of their pro smoking policy. Last year we did 28 day (Veendam) and 38 day (Oosterdam) on HAL which was fine. We also did a 25 day on the Ruby Princess (our first Princess cruise in about 4 years) and both DW and I were really surprised that Princess had improved many things while HAL seems to be cutting back on just about everything. Go figure.

As to the Port of Houston and nearby Galveston, we those as places to avoid for some of the reasons cited by the OP.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Finally got around to reading the OPs post and am still scratching my head about

"There was only mains with no appies and only soufflé for dessert" in reference to the MDR. Apples? Ok so lets trash a meal for lack of Apples (in about 4 years on many cruises we have never had an Apple in any MDR).

We do agree with some of the observations about HAL vs Princess. HAL certainly has a far superior room service breakfast menu. On the other hand, if I want to eat dinner on a Princess ship at 9pm it is not a problem (I can always go to the Lido) but on HAL the only option would be room service as the MDR no longer seats and the Lido is closed after 8pm (and reopens about 10:30 for a short late snack). And on many Princess ships we can go to the International Café 24 hours a day for decent fresh brewed coffee/tea and snacks whereas on HAL we would be stuck with room service coffee (not very good).

One huge difference between the lines (not mentioned by the OP) is what happens after 10pm (not much on HAL) but we will leave this topic for others :).

As to the smoking on a Princess balcony, yes it does happen and the folks doing this are violating the rules. But if nobody reports them (like the OP) then the problem will not be resolved. On the other hand, if I pay a lot of extra money for a HAL balcony and am surrounded by cigar/cigarette smokers there is no recourse other then to stay off the balcony.

We do like both lines (Elite on Princess and 4 Star Mariners on HAL) but now avoid HAL (with some exceptions) because of their pro smoking policy. Last year we did 28 day (Veendam) and 38 day (Oosterdam) on HAL which was fine. We also did a 25 day on the Ruby Princess (our first Princess cruise in about 4 years) and both DW and I were really surprised that Princess had improved many things while HAL seems to be cutting back on just about everything. Go figure.

As to the Port of Houston and nearby Galveston, we those as places to avoid for some of the reasons cited by the OP.

Hank

I did mention that appies were appetizers further in the review. Most of the people I know do know the difference between apples and appetizers. Sorry I didn't make that clear. Please explain how I trashed the whole meal:rolleyes:. I think this really comes more from a dislike of me rather than anything I wrote.

I believe the open dining goes to 9 pm on hal so I don't think the post is really valid. The food in the horizon court reminds me of a cheapie buffet so I don't think that is a strength but that my opinion. I remember it being so good years ago or maybe I wasn't as picky.

I did not report the smoker because I wasn't positive where it was coming from until the last morning and the smell was very strong. She was also coughing up a lung. I'm not going to report someone unless I'm sure. I highly doubt princess would have done anything that morning if I had reported it. You always hear on here how considerate smokers are and that non smokers are always bullies. I just want to set the record straight that not everyone is a kind smoker.

Edited by cruz chic

Thanks so much for taking the time to do this. I'm truly sorry about your job situation. Hoping it will all work out in the end for you (I'm sure it will)

Thx. I'm sure it will. I truly believe I would have ended up having a heart attack had I been there much longer. Suffice to say it was a difficult situation. I really believe this is a blessing in disguise. I've come back from every cruise with a cold for the last several years. This time no job and no cold. Hope I didn't jinx it:D.