Port Everglades terminals

jagsfan

VERY rude!

+1 - They were both rude and not knowledgeable of Princess boarding procedures. Two examples encountered in one boarding. (1) While waiting in line for security (on a converted loading dock) we were asked several times to show our boarding passes for the purpose of segregating priority from regular boarding before security - not sure why' date=' each line was equally long. One of these folks marked a big "2" one of our boarding passes and tried to take the other away. Not wanting to leave my wife behind, I insisted he give it back - we argued for a while and he was surprised to see that Princess issued individual boarding passes to each person. His comment - "that is not the way RCI does it." (2) Once we made it past security and the Ebola scare checkpoint we proceeded upstairs (now both priority and regular mixed again) where another person demanded to see our boarding passes - again - and incorrectly directed us to the "platinum" line - ignoring the fact that there were separate check-in counters for Platinum, Elite, and Suites - all who possess "priority" boarding passes. This did matter - even though all lines were equally long - because the physical ship's cards are located in the respective check-in areas.[/size']

I agree these folks are not real Princess employees but they were Princess badges and represent Princess. They are not properly trained in Princess boarding procedures and are unable to even provide functional crowd control much less provide meaningful answers to any questions. That said, the root cause is not that these are bad people - they are retired folks just trying to make a little spending money. They are being asked to work without proper training and with boarding facilities that were designed for 600 passenger ships.

Of note, in addition to our pleasant RCI/Port Everglades experience, we also boarded the Crown Princess in the Port of Los Angeles late in 2014 and that experience was wonderful. We did make note of the Port Everglades experience on our post cruise survey - and I know Princess reads those - so maybe it will get better. All this points to a problem in Princess's management of Port Everglades - surely someone told them 3600 passenger ships were coming.

His comment - "that is not the way RCI does it."

With RCI, all passengers in a cabin must check in at the same time and there is only one boarding pass to use.

Sometimes that can be very inconvenient.

Here are a few pictures inside of Terminal 18 when I was waiting to embark Allure of the Seas:

Check-in counters

8306481578_f6c7711e60_c.jpg

8305418339_89da13e642_c.jpg

Just one of the seating areas, Gold Members, etc)

(Suites and higher levels of membership were across the vast open hall on the 2nd floor across from us, which you can sort of see in the top right corner of the second picture posted)

8305435263_7b6f1fc246_c.jpg

With RCI, all passengers in a cabin must check in at the same time and there is only one boarding pass to use.

Sometimes that can be very inconvenient.

One pass on RCI - by default anyway. Not generally a problem but a few years ago we did request and receive separate documents. As far as I know Princess always issues separate boarding documents. I just found it interesting that our "Princess" agent was operating in the RCI mode - perhaps the only training he had received.

Edited by dwgreenlee

+1 - They were both rude and not knowledgeable of Princess boarding procedures. Two examples encountered in one boarding. (1) While waiting in line for security (on a converted loading dock) we were asked several times to show our boarding passes for the purpose of segregating priority from regular boarding before security - not sure why, each line was equally long. One of these folks marked a big "2" one of our boarding passes and tried to take the other away. Not wanting to leave my wife behind, I insisted he give it back - we argued for a while and he was surprised to see that Princess issued individual boarding passes to each person. His comment - "that is not the way RCI does it." (2) Once we made it past security and the Ebola scare checkpoint we proceeded upstairs (now both priority and regular mixed again) where another person demanded to see our boarding passes - again - and incorrectly directed us to the "platinum" line - ignoring the fact that there were separate check-in counters for Platinum, Elite, and Suites - all who possess "priority" boarding passes. This did matter - even though all lines were equally long - because the physical ship's cards are located in the respective check-in areas.

I agree these folks are not real Princess employees but they were Princess badges and represent Princess. They are not properly trained in Princess boarding procedures and are unable to even provide functional crowd control much less provide meaningful answers to any questions. That said, the root cause is not that these are bad people - they are retired folks just trying to make a little spending money. They are being asked to work without proper training and with boarding facilities that were designed for 600 passenger ships.

Of note, in addition to our pleasant RCI/Port Everglades experience, we also boarded the Crown Princess in the Port of Los Angeles late in 2014 and that experience was wonderful. We did make note of the Port Everglades experience on our post cruise survey - and I know Princess reads those - so maybe it will get better. All this points to a problem in Princess's management of Port Everglades - surely someone told them 3600 passenger ships were coming.

The staff that works inside the terminal and the security company are hired by the cruiselines. They do not work for Port Everglades.

ignoring the fact that there were separate check-in counters for Platinum, Elite, and Suites - all who possess "priority" boarding passes. This did matter - even though all lines were equally long - because the physical ship's cards are located in the respective check-in areas.

Odd, I've never found that the cards were segregated by areas. I actually found it pretty odd that it seems like they always have to walk over to the middle of the regular area to get the cards for elite, because it would make sense for them to be grouped where those lines are. Always seemed like a point of inefficiency to me. And that's seemed to be true regardless of what port it was. (Princess experience at least).

Odd, I've never found that the cards were segregated by areas. I actually found it pretty odd that it seems like they always have to walk over to the middle of the regular area to get the cards for elite, because it would make sense for them to be grouped where those lines are. Always seemed like a point of inefficiency to me. And that's seemed to be true regardless of what port it was. (Princess experience at least).

To me it would be most efficient to have the cards in cabin order. That would be the easiest way to find them no matter what counter someone checked in at.

Often those with preferred check-in/boarding check in on the regular line because it is sometimes shorter. And those traveling with someone who does have preferred check-in/boarding often check in with them on a preferred line.

I concur with the people who say the "guides" tend to be rude. That has been my experience both in FLL and in LA. You just have to put it behind you and look ahead to the cruise. Just my opinion, respecting the opinions of those who feel differently.

To me it would be most efficient to have the cards in cabin order. That would be the easiest way to find them no matter what counter someone checked in at.

Often those with preferred check-in/boarding check in on the regular line because it is sometimes shorter. And those traveling with someone who does have preferred check-in/boarding often check in with them on a preferred line.

The only thing there is that it means that the people manning the elite and suite lines are *always* walking a fair distance down the check-in area. And to be honest, there's a few of them that I kinda wonder if they're going to make it all the way there and back :).

Interesting to read the comments about the Drake employees (the contracted employees) at Pier 21. We know many of the Drake employees at Pier 2 fairly well, having done many turnarounds with them over the years. But we boarded the Caribbean Princess at Pier 21 in early February. Granted, it was a crazy day, with between 1200-1500 in transit passengers, but that was the first time I've ever been yelled at by a Drake employee. One was telling me one thing, which I did, and another started yelling at me. I was kind of shocked, and if DH hadn't been ahead of me, would have taken the time to do more than say, "It's not necessary to speak to me like that". I think they don't work as often as the employees at Pier 2, who always seem so calm and friendly.

I think they don't work as often as the employees at Pier 2, who always seem so calm and friendly.

At check-in and while waiting for embarkation I've always tried to be polite and courteous, smiling and saying 'hello' to them. And it's not that I was ever doing anything wrong, but the impression I've had of the employees at Terminal 2 is that they would make really good schoolmarms; attitudes, facial expressions, ruler-in-hand, and all...

;)

Interesting to read the comments about the Drake employees (the contracted employees) at Pier 21. We know many of the Drake employees at Pier 2 fairly well, having done many turnarounds with them over the years. But we boarded the Caribbean Princess at Pier 21 in early February. Granted, it was a crazy day, with between 1200-1500 in transit passengers, but that was the first time I've ever been yelled at by a Drake employee. One was telling me one thing, which I did, and another started yelling at me. I was kind of shocked, and if DH hadn't been ahead of me, would have taken the time to do more than say, "It's not necessary to speak to me like that". I think they don't work as often as the employees at Pier 2, who always seem so calm and friendly.

On a side note - we were on that cruise also and I disembarked the ship early to go shopping while my wife stayed aboard with the herd of B2B people. She said it was thee worst turnaround she's ever experienced waiting over an hour in the DR (after the appointed time) to be called and proceed off the ship. When I arrived back to the ship to re-board at around 11:30 or so I walked right on board as if nothing had occurred.

Speaking of old age - some of the older employees are not very nice. (not the ones that check you in but the ones telling you where to sit' date=' etc.) We have had bad experiences a few times just trying to ask them a simple question! Not a great way to start a cruise! I was a little embarrassed when I brought my mom & sister on their 1st Princess cruise. I had told them how wonderful everyone is! :([/quote']

You bet some of those employees are not very nice. We had a terrible in-transit experience with Princess in January. We were doing a back-to-back on the Caribbean Princess, so on our day in FLL we went on a ship excursion out to the Everglades.

While out at the Everglades park it poured rain on us and we were drenched. When the bus got back to Port Everglades we just wanted to change into some dry clothes. We flashed our Platinum key cards and In-Transit card to the Princess rep and started for the gangway. He yelled at us to come back and wait our turn. Then, for good measure, as we were sitting down he yelled at us (in front of more than 100 people in the lounge) "What's the matter? You can't wait another two minutes for the buffet?"

He may have been a contractor, but if you are wearing a Princess uniform you should be expected to follow certain behaviors, and screaming across a room at passengers is not acceptable.

It should be noted that Princess phoned me to apologize for this shaming (verbally, they never apologize in writing) and gave us each a $25 credit for the Crown Grill on our next cruise. Big woop. :mad: