Black and White night

newbieafloat

I was quite surprised to see a few ladies in green or red dresses on B&W night - but perhaps they didn't know! On my first cruise I thought "black & white" was going to be a casual one for some reason - it was pure luck I had bought a black dress with me and luck again I'd chosen my red one for the first formal night! I bought a white shawl on the ship and I was ready :)

I always wear a black evening dress with a white pashmina for black and white night but I don't assume that everyone will be wearing black and white because some people look totally washed out wearing black and at the end of the day we are on holiday so people should be able to wear whatever they want. I think that usually in the Horzon paper the dress code for B&W night is formal with black and white attire suggested.

My husband and I always wear black and white on that particular formal evening because that's what we like to do, but not everyone does, and that's OK. On normal formal nights we have found over the last few years that the gentlemen are becoming more colourful with some very fancy waistcoats. Some friends of Dorothy can go to great lengths with the fanciness of their attire, and good luck to them it all adds to the jollity of the evening.

We have three formal nights. Will black and white night be one of those, or is it an additional one?

it will be one of the formal nights.

Usually if my memory serves me correctly it will be towards the end of the formal nights.

Last time I wore a black dress with little purple and cream dragonflies and a grey shawl with silver dragonflies. OH didn't think I cut the mustard, so I now have a proper long black dress..so I can look half as good as he does.

Not sure why I always seem to pull off the arrive through a hedge backwards look :(and he without fail pulls of the james bond look.;);)

My wife brought a beautiful dress with her that she had worn when we renewed our wedding vows 6 years previously. She bust the zip trying to do it up on the b&w night.

Unfortunately she had put on a little weight on the intervening years.

She ended up wearing purple!

This is all quite amusing actually. Originally I was actually wondering if I'd get any comments for having wing collar instead of lay down collar, and for having notch lapel instead of peak or shawl :D Not that such comments would have fazed me at all, but my view of what to expect has now changed greatly. Thanks all :)

Not sure why I always seem to pull off the arrive through a hedge backwards look :(and he without fail pulls of the james bond look.;);)

I know the feeling! Maybe we can comiserate with each other over a glass of something on our journey to the Nth Cape in July...:)

This is all quite amusing actually. Originally I was actually wondering if I'd get any comments for having wing collar instead of lay down collar, and for having notch lapel instead of peak or shawl :D Not that such comments would have fazed me at all, but my view of what to expect has now changed greatly. Thanks all :)

My OH has an evening shirt with wing collar - and very nice it looks too! (Not quite sure I understand what a notch lapel is though...:confused:)

On every P and O cruise I have been on there has been a black and white night and I have always worn a white tux, black trousers. black wing collar shirt and a white tie!! Shawl collar on my Tux, Notch collar on my New Evening suit and Shawl on my old one but I always wear wing collar shirts. I really enjoy the formal nights but then like most ex servicemen I like a uniform!!:D

As a wife whose husband lives in jeans and a t-shirt, I am so looking forward to dressing for the evenings - every evening will be exciting and a dress- I am a big people watcher do will enjoy seeing everyone ladies and gents dressed up!

With no jeans and t-shirts in sight[emoji1] Mr S is staying at home !!!! [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a wife whose husband lives in jeans and a t-shirt, I am so looking forward to dressing for the evenings - every evening will be exciting and a dress- I am a big people watcher do will enjoy seeing everyone ladies and gents dressed up!

With no jeans and t-shirts in sight[emoji1] Mr S is staying at home !!!! [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Hi, black and white night is usually the last formal night (well it was on the azura in February) and a list of dress codes for each evening is available on your tv. Good luck with your husband[emoji3]

Thanks oakworth. I shall have no problem with the hubby- he's not going! He is staying home- I would have pushed him overboard by day two , travelling with my mother...I am sure she will last to about day six lol

Thanks oakworth. I shall have no problem with the hubby- he's not going! He is staying home- I would have pushed him overboard by day two , travelling with my mother...I am sure she will last to about day six lol

Well I'm sure you'll miss your husband as there will be nobody to tidy up after you[emoji1]and he'll miss a great cruise(hopefully)

Bob

Tidy up- my husband [emoji23][emoji23] that is why the mother is coming, she will enjoy tidying the cabin up he he!

Hubby would hate cruising he is a scuba man it would be his worst nightmare being surrounded by sea and not being able to submerge !

Tidy up- my husband [emoji23][emoji23] that is why the mother is coming, she will enjoy tidying the cabin up he he!

Hubby would hate cruising he is a scuba man it would be his worst nightmare being surrounded by sea and not being able to submerge !

Sounds like you've really planned your cruise[emoji6]you will love the formal nights and seeing every smart it's something you don't do often or at all at home. We are back on the azura in 12 weeks and we have two formal nights (1week) and the rest is smart casual

Bob

I'm very excited Bob, my first cruise [emoji2] I do enjoy and appreciate the effort people put into to dressing up, gents and ladies, three weeks to go , Britannia round the canaries. Just hope the weather is kind! Tx

You first cruise and the Britannia it will defo be special [emoji1]shame you won't have your hubby to iron your stuff after you unpack[emoji6] I think the standard of dress code have dropped slightly as my first cruise there was evenings where smart jacket had to be worn but now it's formal nights and smart casual. Not sure if this is the case on all the p&o ships

Bob

I shall employ a butler ( assume ships have them) if the mother won't do it!

Well I shall have a dress an evening thank goodness for expanding cases. The only thing I know about the dress code is that there are no jeans after six. I shall wear what I would wear if going to a nice restaurant , I am sure others will dress up each night, if not. Hey ho, it's my holiday

.... Liking the sound of s butler may have to look into that lol Tx