Grandmother taking 11 year old grandson on 1st cruise questions?

1. he needs a passport?

2. parents are divorced but amicable to each other and me

3. Do both parents need to be with him to apply for the passport?

4. how long does that usually take to receive.

5. what does RCCL do for the children that age? He is mature for his age. Would he go with the younger group or the older group?

6. dinner in the dining room, would thye sit us at a table with other adults with children?

7. I am Emerald on RCCL. Would he gain Emerald Status as well after the cruise?

Thanks so much for any info and advice:)!

1. he needs a passport?

2. parents are divorced but amicable to each other and me

3. Do both parents need to be with him to apply for the passport?

4. how long does that usually take to receive.

5. what does RCCL do for the children that age? He is mature for his age. Would he go with the younger group or the older group?

6. dinner in the dining room, would thye sit us at a table with other adults with children?

7. I am Emerald on RCCL. Would he gain Emerald Status as well after the cruise?

Thanks so much for any info and advice:)!

1......he does not need a passport if the cruise begins and ends at the same port BUT when I took my granddaughters I felt better knowing they had one.

2....nice the parents are good because you will need a letter signed and notarized from both parents giving you permission to take their child and giving you authority to make all medical decisions while you are gone. Be sure to spell out the dates and name of the ship you are sailing.

3. If both parents cannot be there to get passport the parent who cannot go ,must sign a form (located on the passport website) that has to be notarized and presented by the parent when the child is taken to apply for their passport.

4. Passports can take anywhere from 3 weeks up to 8 weeks. You just never know.

5. The cruiselines have children separated into specific age groups for a reason. Children are usually not allowed to go up into an older age group. There will be plenty of activites and fun things to do.

6. If you have a fixed dining time they make every effort to place people together who have something in common. However if you do not like your tablemates see the Matre D and ask for a new table. Happens all the time. If you request MY TIME dining then you can either have a table for two or ask to be seated with others.

7. You earned Emerald status by the number of days you have sailed. Your grandchild will be allowed to go with you of course, but they will have to earn their days as you did to get status.

I hope this helps and I hope have a wonderful cruise!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

He should be in his age group...they are VERY good with ages!

He doesn't need the passport, but he will need permission to travel with you from BOTH parents!

They attempt to seat families with families (i.e.: kids!)

We took our oldest grandson on a cruise for his 8th birthday last year. He had a great time, both on the islands and in the kids area. I scanned the kids' activity schedules for a few days from our last sailing this past January - the link is in our signature below.

I'm sure you'll both have a great time. We ate most meals in the MDR and he was great.

j