UK cruisers flying to USA

Gemlea

Can anyone tell me what Princess charge for a flight upgrade to 'Premium' seats - or even if this is possible? Just a general idea would suffice, but if any of you have/are doing the full transit Panama cruise this year, then these extra costs would be doubly helpful. Thanks for your time.

Sandra

Can anyone tell me what Princess charge for a flight upgrade to 'Premium' seats - or even if this is possible? Just a general idea would suffice, but if any of you have/are doing the full transit Panama cruise this year, then these extra costs would be doubly helpful. Thanks for your time.

Sandra

Which airline are you flying with?

Sandra

One way to find out, would be to do a comparison check on the airline website!!:confused: ;)

Cato :)

Completed Cruises !

Pre-cruise Days - The Big Red Boat, 1993 ??

1st cruise - Coral Princess, 19 November 2008, 10 day Panama Canal, FLL to ACA

2nd cruise - Coral Princess, 15 May 2009, 3 day Repositioning, Los Angeles to Vancouver.

3rd cruise - Sapphire Princess, 25 November 2009? 7 day Mexican Riviera.

4th cruise - Golden Princes, 12 June 2010, 7 day Alaska. (Golden Anniversary Cruise)

5th Cruise - Island Princess, 04 October 2010, Vancouver - Los Angeles, Repositioning

6th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 05 January 2011, 10 day Mexican Riviera. LA to LA.

7th cruise - Golden Princess, 11 May 2011, 3 day, LA to Vancouver, Repositioning

8th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 14 May 2011, 1 day, Vancouver to Seattle, Repositioning

9th cruise - Coral Princess 19 May 2011 2 day, San Francisco to Vancouver, Repositioning

10th & 11th cruises - Coral Princess 02 July to 16 July 2011, round trip Vancouver - Whittier Alaska, B2B

12th & 13th cruises - Sapphire Princess, x2, Cabins, 18 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning

14th & 15th cruises - Golden Princess, x2, Cabins, 24 Sep. 2011, 1 day, Seattle to Vancouver, Repositioning.

We have now reached Elite status with Princess Cruise Lines :D

16th cruise - Oasis of the Seas, 26 Nov. 2011, 7 day, Western Caribbean, Ft. Lauderdale, Ret.

17th & 18th cruises - Crown Princess B2B, 03 - 10 Dec & 10 - 17 Dec 2011, 14 Days, South & western Caribbean

19th cruise - Grand Princess, 31 Mar. - 07 April 2012, 7 Days, Eastern Caribbean, FLL - FLL

20th cruise - Island Princess, 06-16 June 2012, 10 day cruisetour Vancouver - Wittier

21th cruise - Emerald Princess, 16 day, 10 - 26 Sep. 2012, TA, Copenhagen - New York

22nd cruise - Carnival Ecstasy 10 - 14 January, 2013, 4 Day Bahamas, Port Canaveral Ret.

23rd cruise - Sapphire Princess 30 March - 06 April, 2013, 7 Day Coastal LA - LA

24th cruise - Coral Princess, 19 May - 22 May, 2013, 3 Day Repositioning Cruise, LA - Vancouver

25th cruise - Royal Princess 16 June - 05 July, 2013, 19 Day Inaugural cruise, Southampton - Venice.

26th cruise - Emerald Princess, 06 - 16 October, 2013, 10 Day Canada - New England, Quebec city to New York

27th cruise - Royal Princess, 24 November - 01 December, 2013, 7 Day,Eastern Caribbean, Fort Lauderdale Ret.

28th cruise - Sapphire Princess, 20 - 24 Jan, 2014, 4 Days, California

29th cruise - Crown Princess, 03 - 10 May 2014, 7 Day, LA to Vancouver.

30th cruise - Pacific Princess, 05 - 12 Aug. 2014, 7 Days, Vancouver RT, Alaska

31st cruise - Golden Princess, 13 - 17 Oct. 2014, 4 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT,

32nd cruise - Crown Princess, 20 - 27 Dec. 2014, 7 Days, LA - Mexican Riv, RT.

We are flying to Miami with British Airways in April and were charged about £300 per person for the upgrade (one way only as cruise ends in Southampton). I tried doing it on BA website but was unable to due to having booked through Princess..

Do your own thing and book on line with either BA or Virgin. Princess typically charge £880 return for Economy, whereas if you book early you could book yourself for around £730. Premium economy will cost you around £1250 return LHR - MIA , LAX - LHR, or vice versa, if you book direct with BA early enough. You can use 12500 Avios plus taxes upgrade from economy to Premium but that is not good use of Avios. Much better to use any Avios you have to upgrade to Club World. We booked premium economy to SFO and then use 12500 plus £40.40 taxes to upgrade to Club World and because we booked very early we got a great deal ( actually less than they are now charging for premium economy) to fly back Club World on a paid basis from MIA

You have to pay in full up front, but the good news is that you can choose which flight you travel on then instantly get a locator code, which enables you to select your seats for a fee. We have already selected our upper deck 747 business class seats for our Avios upgraded, from Premium Economy, December flight to San Francisco (we are flying in a week early and driving down to San Pedro). Also because we booked very early, we got a great deal to fly back paid Club World for home bound January flight from MIA, and have selected our A380 upper deck business class seats booked for January. What is more we each get 96kg (210lbs, I think) of luggage, which is far more than we will need. If you book different classes on the same booking locator code, then you get the higher luggage allowance for all sectors.

Virgin have their own loyalty scheme.

As I said, you can book different classes for each way, though if you are booking an open jaw ticket, (eg out to LAX back from MIA) with BA and you want to use different classes you will have to book on the phone, though they do waive the telephone booking charge. Open jaw multi class tickets can be booked on line with Virgin. If you fly BA and register with the Executive Club, you will earn enough Avios to fund a one way upgrade next year, though Executive Club upgrade rules will change for bookings made after April.

Personally can't understand why folks book through Princess. Yes you get guaranteed catch up if you miss the ship, but if that worries you, you can afford to fly in a day early and pay for your hotel out of the savings.

You can also book transfer packages even if you do independent flights. Indeed, this Christmas we are dropping off our rental car at LAX the day before the cruise and taking a Princess hotel and transfer package.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

One other point, if you do do your own thing and book yourselves Premium Economy on a BA A380 flight (all Miami flights will be A380 from September, though they will operate from terminal 3), then take note. BA have premium economy upstairs and the window pairs are very good seats. The overhead lockers are not as large and you might struggle to get a large rigid cabin bag in them, but you do have extra storage below the window.

Visit the BA website to find out more. To check prices for Premium Economy both ways go to make a booking and then select multi-stop. If it looks good then you might wish to think about cancelling your Princess booked flights.

EDIT

Just checked your profile and see you are talking about Feb 2016, ex Port Everglades on 3rd Feb. BA bookings for February 2016 have only recently opened which should mean that prices are competitive, at £1314.86, for premium economy BOTH WAYS out on 2nd on an A380 at either 09.10 or 13.35 and back on 18th on either a 777 at 16.10 or an A380 at 20.45. Think the 20.45 flight might be around £70 cheaper.

At least gives you a basis for judging Princess' reply.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Just checked on line in the Executive Club section of the BA website and there are upgrades available from Premium economy to Club World (full flat bed) on 18th ex-LAX for 12500 Avios plus approx £50 taxes (all per person) on 18th, though they will go quickly.

I can't see if these upgrades are on the 16.10 777 flight or the 20.45 A380 flight (suspect they are on the 20.45 flight as there are twice as many Club World seats on that flight.

No upgrades available in the whole of the week of 18th from Economy to Premium ex-LAX

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I'm with Corfe Mixture on this one Sandra,

Booking your own flights is typically cheaper than the cruise line's air service. There are not many carriers which offer premium economy flights. British Airways and Virgin Atlantic being two rare examples. The only drawback with arranging your own flights is the "missing the ship" problem. This is easily, very easily, overcome by arriving a day early or two if you want a stop over. Flying west to USA is very convenient with timings as you get extra time on the day with the time difference. Both British Airways and Virgin Atlantic have websites where you can look at the seats plan and specific seat/s and which aircraft type is scheduled on that flight, booking is a great idea as you will be in them for a long time. Prices go up and down but if you have a bit of flexibility you can get a good deal and I like to look at the model of aircraft which I am booking as well.

Regards John

I'm with Corfe Mixture on this one Sandra,

Booking your own flights is typically cheaper than the cruise line's air service.

IMHO, only time booking your own flights doesn't work is if you are doing a transatlantic as one way tickets from the airline are very expensive.

This is because although, when you book you see fares fore each direction, these fares have a booking condition which varies with, amongst other things, the date of the return sector with discounted returns, typically requiring a Saturday night stay between the outbound and the return sectors. As a result airlines do not discount single transatlantic tickets to the general public as, if they did, folks could book two singles to get around booking conditions.

The cruise lines however seem to have a deal with the airlines whereby they are able to access the discounted sector fares, presumably on the basis that there is a Saturday night in between the flight and the cruise ending back in the original country.

Just checked on line in the Executive Club section of the BA website and there are upgrades available from Premium economy to Club World (full flat bed) on 18th ex-LAX for 12500 Avios plus approx £50 taxes (all per person) on 18th, though they will go quickly.

I can't see if these upgrades are on the 16.10 777 flight or the 20.45 A380 flight (suspect they are on the 20.45 flight as there are twice as many Club World seats on that flight.

No upgrades available in the whole of the week of 18th from Economy to Premium ex-LAX

WOW Corfe Mixture, that's one heck of a response - thank you for taking such trouble to provide this info. We are booked cruise only with Princess, and were/are intending to fly BA. The flights for our dates will come online in just less than 2 weeks, and my query was to try and find out if Princess flights (with whoever they use) would be a cheaper option. From yours and other responses, the answer to this is NO ! Unfortunately, we do not have Avios, and so any additional upgrade to Club etc would probably be prohibitive costwise. Thanks for the tip about upper deck World Traveller Plus seats, we will give these a try. We most always pay extra to reserve specific seats, and as has been said, doing your own flights means you are in control, and can limit any layover times. .

Thanks everyone for your comments.

WOW Corfe Mixture, that's one heck of a response - thank you for taking such trouble to provide this info. We are booked cruise only with Princess, and were/are intending to fly BA. The flights for our dates will come online in just less than 2 weeks, and my query was to try and find out if Princess flights (with whoever they use) would be a cheaper option. From yours and other responses, the answer to this is NO ! Unfortunately, we do not have Avios, and so any additional upgrade to Club etc would probably be prohibitive costwise. Thanks for the tip about upper deck World Traveller Plus seats, we will give these a try. We most always pay extra to reserve specific seats, and as has been said, doing your own flights means you are in control, and can limit any layover times. .

Thanks everyone for your comments.

You may not have any Avios, but if you join the BA Executive Club, and travel Premium Economy, you will each earn around 11,000 Avios towards next year's upgrade, registering your Tesco card for Avios, will earn the rest.

If your cruise departs on 3rd February, then flights are available on BA, but probably not on Virgin, who will not open up bookings for the return for a couple of weeks.

A couple of tips.

If you have a balcony cabin, then make sure your cabin is odd numbered if going from LA to Florida or even numbered if going from Florida to LA. This is because you want to be on the South American side when going through the canal as you get to view the canal infrastructure, the Panama railway runs alongside the canal and the entrance of the Chagres river, which mean that after passing through the locks, apart from having to go to the other side to see the Gatun Dam, you will be able to enjoy the best of the canal whilst siting on you balcony. You will also get the evening sun on the Pacific leg of the voyage.

Also if you or your other half are at all interested in the history of the canal then you should read 'The Path Between The Seas' by David McCullough, it will make the whole journey so much more interesting. Loaned my copy out and enjoyed it so much I went and bought a second copy.

FWIW, This Christmas will be our fourth transit of the canal.

Oops nearly forgot. Check out http://www.thebasource.com shows all the subtle differences I the various seat plans and what aircraft typically operate on each route, though they are moving the A380s round next autumn. If nothing else it will tell you to avoid 67/68 DEF in premium economy on the 380.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

You may not have any Avios, but if you join the BA Executive Club, and travel Premium Economy, you will each earn around 11,000 Avios towards next year's upgrade, registering your Tesco card for Avios, will earn the rest.

If your cruise departs on 3rd February, then flights are available on BA, but probably not on Virgin, who will not open up bookings for the return for a couple of weeks.

A couple of tips.

If you have a balcony cabin, then make sure your cabin is odd numbered if going from LA to Florida or even numbered if going from Florida to LA. This is because you want to be on the South American side when going through the canal as you get to view the canal infrastructure, the Panama railway runs alongside the canal and the entrance of the Chagres river, which mean that after passing through the locks, apart from having to go to the other side to see the Gatun Dam, you will be able to enjoy the best of the canal whilst siting on you balcony. You will also get the evening sun on the Pacific leg of the voyage.

Also if you or your other half are at all interested in the history of the canal then you should read 'The Path Between The Seas' by David McCullough, it will make the whole journey so much more interesting. Loaned my copy out and enjoyed it so much I went and bought a second copy.

FWIW, This Christmas will be our fourth transit of the canal.

Oops nearly forgot. Check out http://www.thebasource.com shows all the subtle differences I the various seat plans and what aircraft typically operate on each route, though they are moving the A380s round next autumn. If nothing else it will tell you to avoid 67/68 DEF in premium economy on the 380.

More good info - thanks, and I'll check out the BA website you mention. We are on the 18 Feb sailing from LA to FLL. Cabin is forward Starboard - Deck C - chosen because of the afternoon sun as we head down from LA on our sea days, and the close proximity of maybe getting out at the front of the ship on occasions - I believe there is a door at the end of the corridor !! Good to know that we can also take shade on our balcony and not miss some of the best sights going through. This is our first transit, so really looking forward to it.

I'll check into Avios a bit more. We joined Qatar's Qmiles a few months ago when booking a return flight to Goa. We are also flying Business Class (got a good deal - probably first and last time in Business !!!) with them to Cape Town in November, and have read somewhere that as Qatar and BA are both OneWorld airlines, points are interchangeable. Not sure whether I could use Qmiles to upgrade on BA, but if I can, I will have quite a few miles by next year!

Thanks again for your continued help which is appreciated, and enjoy your festive cruise in December.

I would just like to say that Corfe Mixture is an absolute gem! I always thought I was a bit of a flying expert, but I am lost in admiration.

I would just add that 'www.seatguru.com' is also a useful source of info.

Just as a matter of interest - would C/M prefer Virgin AB340 or BA AB380 in premium economy?

Just as a matter of interest - would C/M prefer Virgin AB340 or BA AB380 in premium economy?

Not in a position to comment as I have never used Virgin premium economy, though I am told their product is slightly better than BA, though folks do seem to like the A380.

My personal preference for BA is driven entirely by my familiarity with the system and the fact that each return trip in paid WT+ earns enough points to get a one way upgrade to CW on the next, though getting upgrades to CW on West to East flights just after Christmas is a non-starter, so this year I ended up using my upgrade for the LHR-SFO sector and I am paying for CW, albeit at a very good price, on the MIA-LHR return.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Yes, Gemlea there is a door at the end of your corridor to a forward viewing area. Deck C very good with mixture of mini-suites and double sized balconies in the premium balcony cabins. If you are in a balcony cabin, as opposed to a mini, check out C311, 315 or 317, on starboard side, which have the larger balconies associated with premium balcony cabins, but are priced at normal balcony prices. Not been in them myself, but I have a friend who always books early to get a premium balcony at normal balcony prices.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

For the first time we have booked our flights separately. Usually do the 'package' with Princess but have independently booked our flights with VA from LHR to MIA (direct).

We wanted the Premium Economy seats and therefore called Virgin as soon as the prices were released (just under 1 year out) and got our seats for £1063 per person. That is for a return ticket so we were happy with that cost. Paid in full at the time of calling.

We had been informed by Virgin that we could choose our seat for free at the time of booking, however, they were upgrading there seat reservation software and we didn't get to choose our seat until i think it was a few months prior to flying. As soon as the seat booking date came up i jumped at the chance and bagged seats for both flights.

Kept checking the flight costs and never did it dip below what we paid.....so we are happy.

Decided to spend 2 nights up in Port Everglades, so we have some time in case of any flight issues, prior to ship boarding date.

Pete

hi cm,sorry to hijack this thread slightly but one question,do avios expire after a year.we flew ba to auckland and back from sydney in 2013 to sail on diamond and got quite a few thousand avios.a few weeks ago we booked the machu pichu explorer cruise tour.we booked flights via expedia saving a few hundred quid.the itenary is lhr to madrid,mad to lima and return from rio all with ba code sharing with iberia.ba gave us 12500 avios each,when i logged on avios account the kiwi and aussie points had gone.can these be retrieved somehow,cheers brian.ps the princess air had no ba option,only american airlines via dallas or miami,which took 20 odd hours.

hi cm,sorry to hijack this thread slightly but one question,do avios expire after a year.we flew ba to auckland and back from sydney in 2013 to sail on diamond and got quite a few thousand avios.a few weeks ago we booked the machu pichu explorer cruise tour.we booked flights via expedia saving a few hundred quid.the itenary is lhr to madrid,mad to lima and return from rio all with ba code sharing with iberia.ba gave us 12500 avios each,when i logged on avios account the kiwi and aussie points had gone.can these be retrieved somehow,cheers brian.ps the princess air had no ba option,only american airlines via dallas or miami,which took 20 odd hours.

There are time outs, based on no activity, so if you contribute no problem about not using as each addition of Avios resets the clock.

Also if you are a member of more than one scheme, eg Avios and BA Executive club or Iberia, you can transfer Avios points between schemes on line and this resets the clock on both schemes.

Only slight complication is that whilst Avios allow folks living at the same address to merge their accounts into a Household Account from which everyone has access to the points, BA is not able to allow Household Accounts as the account number also keeps track of your membership tier points, which are individual, though they do allow you to use your points for someone at the same address.

We had an Avios Household Account, but had to demerge it so that we could transfer our points to BA as both source and destination account must have same name / personal details.

The way you transfer points is to log onto your Avios account and then, on the management page of your Avios account select the option to transfer points.

Once you select the second scheme, from a pull down menu, you are taken to a logon page for that scheme. Once logged onto both schemes, you simply select how many points to transfer and in which direction. Once done you get a reference number for the transfer and can instantly see the effect of the transfer. You also get an e-mail from BA confirming the transfer.

Here is a redacted copy of my most recent e-mail

"PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND DIRECTLY TO THIS EMAIL. Responses go to an automated email box we can't read or reply from.

Membership Number : XXXXXXX

Dear Mr X,

We're happy to confirm your request to move Avios between your accounts (reference: XXXXXXXXXXX has been successful.

•Your Avios account number 30814XXXXXXXXXXX was debited with 4,816 Avios on 04 March 2015.

•Your British Airways account number XXXXXXXX was credited with 4,816 Avios on 04 March 2015.

If you did not request to combine your Avios, please call us as soon as possible, you can see our phone numbers here, quoting reference CMA–Avios/XXXXXXXXXX.

Yours sincerely,

British Airways"

Quite simple, I do it all the time as I get points in my Avios account from my Lloyds credit card and move them to my BA account and the bottom line is that you re happy to keep them where they currently reside, then you can move them one way today and back in the other direction tomorrow which will actually reset both clocks TWICE.

Bottom line is that all they appear to be interested in to checking that you are still 'active'.

One last tip. If you are booking Premium Economy to the US with BA and have a Lloyds Duo credit card account, then consider using the Amex card to buy your ticket as this will cost you £5 per person credit card charge but earn the cardholder earn around 1200 Avios per person on a points for pound basis, which is a cheap way of getting extra Avios.

Think I'm going to shut up now, as I might find that if I give all my knowledge base away, I might lose out to someone who beat me to an offer using information I gave them :(

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Sandra,

Forgot to mention, that, if you are not already aware, because you are booking WT+, it is actually CHEAPER to fly MAN-LHR-LAX then MIA-LHR-MAN than to simply fly LHR-LAX and MIA-MAN on the SAME transatlantic flights, though DO NOT punch:

MAN-LHR

LHR-LAX

MIA-LHR

LHR-MAN

into the booking system, as you will get a different price than if you punch in

MAN-LAX

MIA-MAN

and leave the system to decide to route you through LHR as a transit passenger.

Indeed, whilst I was doing something else on the BA site this morning, I had a quick look at a dummy booking for the week before your flights, just to confirm the above, and the saving for WT+ was almost £100 per person (£1118.72 versus £1214.86) by starting in Manchester and transiting through Heathrow, than by starting in Heathrow.

This saving is because of a quirk in the ticketing calculation. It happens because:

a) the airline charges the same basic price for transatlantic flights from LHR and MAN, irrespective of whether or not the flight routing includes a domestic flight (i.e. the domestic flight is effectively free).

BUT

b) because you are booking a premium fare, WT+, and that class of travel does not exist on your MAN-LHR flight, although it doesn't spell it out, the ticketing system automatically gives you a credit because you are having to fly the MAN-LHR sector in a lower class than you have booked for the transatlantic sector.

Living in Preston, you could even avoid any pre-flight hotels by selecting 09.55 MAN-LHR flight and connecting with the 15.20 LHR-LAX flight.

And no folks, those of you starting from LHR (like me) can't cheat and buy a ticket from MAN and not use the domestic sector. They WON'T let you check in at Heathrow and on the return flight they WILL send your bags to Manchester.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Sandra,

Forgot to mention, that, if you are not already aware, because you are booking WT+, it is actually CHEAPER to fly MAN-LHR-LAX then MIA-LHR-MAN than to simply fly LHR-LAX and MIA-MAN on the SAME transatlantic flights, though DO NOT punch:

MAN-LHR

LHR-LAX

MIA-LHR

LHR-MAN

into the booking system, as you will get a different price than if you punch in

MAN-LAX

MIA-MAN

and leave the system to decide to route you through LHR as a transit passenger.

Indeed, whilst I was doing something else on the BA site this morning, I had a quick look at a dummy booking for the week before your flights, just to confirm the above, and the saving for WT+ was almost £100 per person (£1118.72 versus £1214.86) by starting in Manchester and transiting through Heathrow, than by starting in Heathrow.

This saving is because of a quirk in the ticketing calculation. It happens because:

a) the airline charges the same basic price for transatlantic flights from LHR and MAN, irrespective of whether or not the flight routing includes a domestic flight (i.e. the domestic flight is effectively free).

BUT

b) because you are booking a premium fare, WT+, and that class of travel does not exist on your MAN-LHR flight, although it doesn't spell it out, the ticketing system automatically gives you a credit because you are having to fly the MAN-LHR sector in a lower class than you have booked for the transatlantic sector.

Living in Preston, you could even avoid any pre-flight hotels by selecting 09.55 MAN-LHR flight and connecting with the 15.20 LHR-LAX flight.

And no folks, those of you starting from LHR (like me) can't cheat and buy a ticket from MAN and not use the domestic sector. They WON'T let you check in at Heathrow and on the return flight they WILL send your bags to Manchester.

Thanks for this - you are a gem !!! I will certainly give this a go.