Ventura dining options?

Big Stevie

We have chosen Freedom dining on our Ventura cruise in May, but could someone please clarify the dining options available to us?

With Freedom, is this restricted to a self serve buffet restaurant, or is it in a waiter service restaurant?

I also understand that there are more exclusive restaurants onboard - White Room etc. Is there an additional charge for these restaurants, and can we just turn up on the night and get a table?

Thanks

Steve :)

FREEDOM DINING takes place in a freedom dining dedicated Main Dining Room with waiters. It applies to the evening meal only and happens when you choose within the evening hours the Restaurant is open. When attending you may have a table for just your party say a table for four with just the three of you on it. Alternatively you might want to have a table for two and use the earlier "Children's Early Dining" facility which is for children only - not you. You take them and then deposit them in Children's club after they have eaten then you do your dining as a couple. You may alternatively opt for a shared table say 8/10 diners all sharing the same table, with or without your children. It's all up to you, subject to table size and time availability.

BUFFET DINING This is like a self service cafe style set up with similar food options. This occurs in the Buffet not a Main Dining Room It's a DIY set up collect food and plates etc. Some people use this to avoid formal dress codes others because they like it. It's a lot less formal. Buffet is used more by people at other times than the evening meal. Breakfast for example or lunch.

BREAKFAST AND LUNCH Specific restaurants do a waiters service Breakfast and or Lunch. These again are within set opening hours and are "open table" like freedom. You share with anyone on a big table or go on a small table with just your party.

UPGRADE RESTAURANTS Same as Freedom but with CHARGES LEVIED. Booking highly recommended can be done ahead of the day to some extent.

WINE If you want wine with your meal, you can buy a bottle off the list from the Wine Waiter (wears different waistcoat) and drink say half a bottle then turn up next time at any restaurant and have the remaining wine retrieved and brought to you wherever you are (except buffet). Other drinks beer coca-cola may also be ordered from wine waiter and served at the table. It is acceptable but rare to wander in with a drink you have previously bought from a bar.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

You will be allocated either Saffron or Cinnamon dinning rooms on boarding. It is exactly the same menu as fixed dining and is waiter service. Just turn up within the opening hours and you will be seated at a table. If it is busy you will be given a pager but even then the wait is quite short. If you want you can always go to the buffet where they have themed evenings, eg Carvery, Indian etc. You will usually have to book the White Room and there is a cover charge depending on the length otf your cruise. You can also dine in the Glasshouse and the Beachouse buffet turns into a diner style eatery in the evenings where menu is mostly free but some items are chargeable. Well worth a visit:)

Phil

Hi Steve, we came off the Ventura last week and were allocated Freedom dining. You will have a card in your cabin telling you which of the 2 freedom dining restaurants you are allocated to. It will be either Saffron or Cinnamon. Both are waiter service. After 3 days you are able to use either.

As well as your allocated waiter restaurant you are able to use the buffet. The pay for restaurants you have to book .

I recommend the Glasshouse for lunch on a sea day - prices about £6 for tapas style dishes and much quieter than the buffet on a sea day! Also a good place for a pre dinner drink.

The White Room is lovely - really special service. You need to book this as soon as you get on board really.

The buffet that turns into an Italian waiter service in the evening is sadly now £5 each I believe.

Thanks everyone, that explains it nicely.

The White Room is lovely - really special service. You need to book this as soon as you get on board really.

Thanks Sue. Are you saying that all the slots for the 14 days get booked up quickly, and that I need to choose when I want to visit and book on day one?

Thanks everyone, that explains it nicely.

Thanks Sue. Are you saying that all the slots for the 14 days get booked up quickly, and that I need to choose when I want to visit and book on day one?

Well it probably depends upon the cruise but if you want a specific day it might be wise to. On my Oriana cruise I tried to book 7pm and it was booked up every day at that time!

We have chosen Freedom dining on our Ventura cruise in May, but could someone please clarify the dining options available to us?

With Freedom, is this restricted to a self serve buffet restaurant, or is it in a waiter service restaurant?

I also understand that there are more exclusive restaurants onboard - White Room etc. Is there an additional charge for these restaurants, and can we just turn up on the night and get a table?

Thanks

Steve :)

Tell me off if im teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, but do remember your restaurant allocation is for dinner only - you can use any MDR thats open for breakfast and lunch. I have heard of people who thought as 'their' restaurant was closed they were only 'allowed' to use the buffet during the day.

Im slightly biased as I think lunch is the meal P&O do best :D

Well it probably depends upon the cruise but if you want a specific day it might be wise to. On my Oriana cruise I tried to book 7pm and it was booked up every day at that time!

Thanks Sue, so do customers book in advance online, or can it only be done when embarking?

Tell me off if im teaching my grandmother to suck eggs here, but do remember your restaurant allocation is for dinner only - you can use any MDR thats open for breakfast and lunch. I have heard of people who thought as 'their' restaurant was closed they were only 'allowed' to use the buffet during the day.

Im slightly biased as I think lunch is the meal P&O do best :D

No your not teaching me to suck eggs, I have next to zero knowledge of life on a cruise ship. So your saying I can dine at any restaurant for breakfast and lunch, even the posh ones where you pay extra? Assuming there is a vacancy?

Only you know what your 8 year old is like at mealtimes, but sometimes the buffet can be a better option as you eat at his and your pace ,in the main dining room the meal can sometimes take quite a long time. also once onboard and after a few days of busy sightseeing he might be too tired to have to sit through a long drawn out meal. obviously, I'm only imagining my 8 yearold grandson and he wouldn't sit there happily when tired!!

you mentioned tours on another thread, and I was thinking why not book with an independent company at a fraction of P and O prices. look at the port of call section of cruise critic, lots and lots of fellow cruisers giving tips etc.

Thanks Sue, so do customers book in advance online, or can it only be done when embarking?

/quote]

You can book on board or in advance via your Cruise Personaliser. I've booked one night and then I'll see when I'm on board if there's any special offers that might tempt me to do another :D

No your not teaching me to suck eggs, I have next to zero knowledge of life on a cruise ship. So your saying I can dine at any restaurant for breakfast and lunch, even the posh ones where you pay extra? Assuming there is a vacancy?

On Ventura, usually it's the Saffron and Bay Tree main restaurants open for breakfast and just the Saffron for lunch and afternoon tea.

Breakfast is 0730-0900 port days and 08:00-0930 sea days. Lunch usually 1215-1345 and afternoon tea 1600-1645. You just turn up anytime between those times. Don't worry if you miss those times as the self service buffet is open all day.

Brian

Thanks. I think the buffet would be better for our 8yr old son.

But I do want to experience some of the other restaurants such as the White Room etc. But my personaliser only appears to have two restaurants available.

Screen%20Shot%202015-03-10%20at%2020.18.29_zpstuhgo4pf.png

The Epicurian restaurant used to be the White Room.

There is also the Glass House which is a more informal pay restaurant where prices are per item on the menu rather than a single cover charge.

Also in the evening is the Beach House which has a part American style diner menu. There is a £5 cover charge and some items have an extra charge.

All menus and prices can be seen on the P&O website under the "Help and advice" section. Just type in "menu" in the search box.

Brian

Edited by BrianI

Steve,

I forgot to tell you that there is a childrens tea in the buffet at 5pm. You will probably find that your 8 year old will want to eat with friends from the kids club, after which they go back to their club for their evening activities. Its not mandatory to go there, they can still go to the restaurant in the evening. Its your choice, or maybe theirs.

Just in case you are still hungry, there is a poolside grill open all day doing burgers, pizzas, fish & chips etc.

Brian

That explains it then, thanks. So I assume on my cruise that they are the only two restaurants that I'm able to book in advance online?

I would not worry too much about booking in advance. We have never found the pay restaurants to be booked up. They are always trying to get you to go. We usually go two or three times in a cruise and never yet found them full. Usually quite a few empty tables. The food in the "free" restaurants is quite adequate, especially on formal gala nights.

Brian

One thing I've not figured out yet, is how I choose where to eat based on menu. I understand the MDR menu varies, and some nights the offerings may be more tempting than others. I dare say the other venues vary the menu too to some extent. Is there a way to see what restaurant is offering what menu and when, so I can decide when might be a good time to try the beach house, glasshouse, or select dining?

I remember seeing a post here somewhere, that says they missed out on lobster in the MDR one evening, and wouldn't have eaten elsewhere that night if they'd known it was on offer

The lunch and dinner menus for the day are posted outside the restaurants each day. The Beach House restaurant does not change. East and Epicurean have two or maybe three menus and these change every three days or so. They display which menu is on when.

The best menus in the main restaurants is on formal nights.

Brian