Got gty inside assigned on Breakaway - disabled cabin?

Anne76

We just received our cabin assignment a few days ago, I saw a number on deck 13 so I was reaalllyy happy about it.

But after checking the deck plans, we saw that is a handicapped cabin. Not a problem for us - more space I think!!! - but what if someone need it? (we don't)

Does anyone happened to be moved?:confused:

We just received our cabin assignment a few days ago, I saw a number on deck 13 so I was reaalllyy happy about it.

But after checking the deck plans, we saw that is a handicapped cabin. Not a problem for us - more space I think!!! - but what if someone need it? (we don't)

In their best estimates, they don't feel that they will need the cabin.

However, if something changes last minute, they can move to you another cabin within the terms of your guarantee booking.

Chance are they don't think they will need it, if they do then they will move you. We just got off BA and since we were in no rush, we checked out some of the cabins on our way off. The inside handicap room is huge!! Almost double the size of regular cabin. I wouldn't mind staying in it as long as no one needed it.

Yes, we've been ASSIGNED those before by NCL last minute as a GTY (obstructed oceanviews, not inside) and NCL reserved the right to reassign you, usually up to the embarkation day (most likely not as you are past final payment cutoff & within 6 to 8 weeks from sailing, correct ??)

Yes, there is extra space in the stateroom for those with accessible needs and of course the shower/bathroom. Be careful with the shower area as it can be slippery when wet, get extra towels from the RS if necessary.

We had an inside on the BA last year, Deck 13 AFT near the elevators & stairs - NOT these but a regular Inside - GTY and it was very convenient, 2 floors from the buffet/cafe & easy down the stairs to Ocean 6-7-8. You might find scooters "parked" outside in the wider hallway/corridors from your neighbors.

When we sailed the Jewel out of NYC in 2011, we were assigned a handicapped OV with obstructed view, checked in fine at the pier as usual but only slept in it for one night & part of next day - Hotel Director that we met at the CC's Meet-n-Greet remembered us & call us while we were in our statement & explained that she needed our help to consider exchanging our room, as the ship was sailing full & another passenger needed the extra bathroom/shower space due to mobility issues. In exchange for our help, we would get their BALCONY stateroom, midship Deck 9 - which was great so we obliged and agreed. She gave us time to pack & offered to send her staff to come up to help if necessary, but it wasn't necessary and later on - she came in person with our new room keys already prepared & helped us roll our suitcases & belongings up. We're glad to be able to help and a win-win situation for the sailing. So, yes - you can be moved but once the sailing is underway, most likely not - the possibility always exist in getting asked.

We are going on the BA next Sunday - room locations & specific cabins not a big deal to us - booked an Oceanview GTY this time during the Jan. promo sales with a good deal, and NCL's computer gave us another bonus surprise this time - woo hoo - free upgrade from category OB or OC GTY (typically deck 5) to Balcony (category BD) on deck 10 FWD - it's almost all the way in the front, plenty of exercise & might be a bit of rocking & rolling if seas are unusally rough ... our good sea legs can handle it, I think. Ship isn't sailing full yet with cabins available still, and this time, virtually no chance in being moved or reassigned again.

Yes, we've been ASSIGNED those before by NCL last minute as a GTY (obstructed oceanviews, not inside) and NCL reserved the right to reassign you, usually up to the embarkation day (most likely not as you are past final payment cutoff & within 6 to 8 weeks from sailing, correct ??)

Yes, there is extra space in the stateroom for those with accessible needs and of course the shower/bathroom. Be careful with the shower area as it can be slippery when wet, get extra towels from the RS if necessary.

We had an inside on the BA last year, Deck 13 AFT near the elevators & stairs - NOT these but a regular Inside - GTY and it was very convenient, 2 floors from the buffet/cafe & easy down the stairs to Ocean 6-7-8. You might find scooters "parked" outside in the wider hallway/corridors from your neighbors.

When we sailed the Jewel out of NYC in 2011, we were assigned a handicapped OV with obstructed view, checked in fine at the pier as usual but only slept in it for one night & part of next day - Hotel Director that we met at the CC's Meet-n-Greet remembered us & call us while we were in our statement & explained that she needed our help to consider exchanging our room, as the ship was sailing full & another passenger needed the extra bathroom/shower space due to mobility issues. In exchange for our help, we would get their BALCONY stateroom, midship Deck 9 - which was great so we obliged and agreed. She gave us time to pack & offered to send her staff to come up to help if necessary, but it wasn't necessary and later on - she came in person with our new room keys already prepared & helped us roll our suitcases & belongings up. We're glad to be able to help and a win-win situation for the sailing. So, yes - you can be moved but once the sailing is underway, most likely not - the possibility always exist in getting asked.

We are going on the BA next Sunday - room locations & specific cabins not a big deal to us - booked an Oceanview GTY this time during the Jan. promo sales with a good deal, and NCL's computer gave us another bonus surprise this time - woo hoo - free upgrade from category OB or OC GTY (typically deck 5) to Balcony (category BD) on deck 10 FWD - it's almost all the way in the front, plenty of exercise & might be a bit of rocking & rolling if seas are unusally rough ... our good sea legs can handle it, I think. Ship isn't sailing full yet with cabins available still, and this time, virtually no chance in being moved or reassigned again.

Yes we are leaving in May... I will continue to check my ncl account just in case!

Other than the shower, anything to know about those staterooms?:D

Edited by Anne76

Out of curiosity, what sailing date? We're on the May 10th with at GTY room. I have been checking daily to see if we've been assigned a cabin and so far nothing. The suspense is killing me! :D

Out of curiosity, what sailing date?

It doesn't matter what date their cruise is - even people on the same cruise (and GTY category) can get their assignments at very different times - even weeks or months apart. Some might get their assignments almost immediately after booking and some just before the cruise.

Just try to hold your horses. :)

Out of curiosity, what sailing date? We're on the May 10th with at GTY room. I have been checking daily to see if we've been assigned a cabin and so far nothing. The suspense is killing me! :D

We are sailing the week before!

I am on the May 10th sailing and was unable to secure an accessible balcony cabin. I am a wheelchair user. The fact that NCL is giving these rooms to GTY bookings on any day other than embarkation day disgusts me. We did a last minute booking today on a whim. I tried everything to get an accessible room and wasn't angry because we didn't book far ahead of time. But now that I know this I am angry. We have until 12 more hours to cancel...

I am on the May 10th sailing and was unable to secure an accessible balcony cabin. I am a wheelchair user. The fact that NCL is giving these rooms to GTY bookings on any day other than embarkation day disgusts me. We did a last minute booking today on a whim. I tried everything to get an accessible room and wasn't angry because we didn't book far ahead of time. But now that I know this I am angry. We have until 12 more hours to cancel...

While I understand your frustration do you really expect any cruise line to risk sailing with empty cabins because you might decide to book a cruise last minute "on a whim"? Everyone knows that if you really want to secure the cabin of your choice you must book far in advance (AFT cabins in particular). I always book my rooms at least a year in advance because I like to choose my exact cabin.

As an example, I had booked the BA a year before the ship was built and was disappointed when I got to my H4 and had a brown wall outside my door instead of the glass wall looking into the courtyard. When I booked the next time I purposely made note of the cabin # I wanted. I booked it (about 10 months out) and a few months later I received a phone call offering me OBC to give up the cabin because someone was elderly and didn't "feel like walking far" (No it was not an HC room, it just had the best view and easiest access from the courtyard), I reminded the Rep I was traveling with my 70 y.o. mother & I turned it down. There were plenty of cabins left at that point so the excuse didn't jive with reality (If fact my old cabin right next door was available so I did not feel bad about my decision).

The moral is if you really want a certain cabin book it in advance, if it does not matter to you then you should take the price break and go with a guarantee.

Edited by iimmie

... I understand your frustration do you really expect any cruise line to risk sailing with empty cabins because you might decide to book a cruise last minute "on a whim"? ... if you really want to secure the cabin of your choice you must book far in advance ...

(Accessible BALCONY cabins) in particular - that are always in demand

Comments above << Like >>

CB910 - Welcome to CC on your 2nd. post - there's a wealth of knowledge and info to learn/share here. I'm not here to defend NCL in any way but these are the harsh realities, sorry, when one have special needs. I have bad knees that acted up every now & then, not enough to warrant these accessible cabins - I travel with a folded walking stick, just in case. Being frugal, we booked a GTY and don't demand or require specific cabin locations, and, next week on the BA - I don't look forward to a long walk from the elevators to our FWD cabin several times a day - but it is what it is because we booked last minute & took a GTY for any location & deck, etc.

Have you considered the possibility that NCL has ran out of all accessible BALCONY - I would be upset at myself for not planning ahead - a cruise is a vacation and not of necessity, and their "Special Needs" asked that you plan ahead and nobody like to be surprised on a moment's notice. I apologize if you don't see it this way.

Cruiselines operate a little differently than airlines in NOT releasing some seats until the day of the flight and at the airport/gate - and those for abled passengers at the emergency exit rows - to avoid playing musical chairs on who is seated where for the duration, even for most loyal & elite frequent flyers.

We've sailed other lines and it's not unusual for some hallways & corridors to be lined with not just wheelchairs, but a few motorized scooters - I seriously doubt they "give away" and/or release those unsold accessible cabins for general bookings & assignments - until final payment cutoff date. In the case of the May sailing, it's beyond the cutoff & NCL is merely doing their part to fill up the remaining cabins.

What do you propose, policy-wise, that NCL do to reasonably address your last minute needs - magically transform the unsold Inside accessible cabin into a balcony cabin for wheelchair access ?

Edited by mking8288

We've sailed other lines and it's not unusual for some hallways & corridors to be lined with not just wheelchairs, but a few motorized scooters

I must be lucky not to have sailed with that ignorant people so much that I'd describe seeing that "not unusual".

Leaving anything like that in the hallways is a direct violation of international maritime laws and it's the crew's responsibility to make sure that all corridors and lobbies are clear of that kind of obstacles.

If a person has a wheelchair or scooter that doesn't fit to their cabin, it must be stored in ship's storage areas away from the corridors - staff should be immediately notified of any mobility aids left out in the corridors because it is a huge safety hazard should anything happen.

Mking-- you are a saint for exchanging staterooms. To answer your questions, I'm not beating myself up. My health is such that we cannot plan ahead. Our last cruise we planned way ahead, but this situation is different. Everyone has different reasons for booking cruises when they do. But it often seems ok to scold people with disabilities for not booking ahead. I've been lurking on CC for years. I get what this board is about, and I understand that there are people on this board who make it a hobby or mission to learn as much about cruising as possible. The extra legwork I have to do around access issues leaves a little less time for researching other things so I am thankful for the wealth of info I've learned on this board. On another board, about another subject, I am the veteran who schools the newbies. I get it. ;)

What you stated in the earlier post about how/when accessible rooms are given to able bodied passengers is largely correct; confirmed by NCL Access Desk.

And to the person who suggested I was being unreasonable for wanting an accessible room after booking late, I assure you I am not. All I am asking is for a room that I can fit into if one is available that is not being used by another person who needs the room for the same reason. Would you feel YOU were being unreasonable for asking for a cabin that you could fit into? I don't think so. More importantly, NCL agrees with me. Able bodied people who are given accessible rooms are given written notification that their stateroom may change at any date prior to embarkation to another room in the same class if someone with a mobility issues needs the accessible cabin. If all the accessible rooms are booked by people who need them, I would never expect to get one. That would most certainly be unreasonable of me.

And in the end, putting people in accessible cabins who truly need them makes not only the experience better for people with disabilities (and sometimes merely just possible), but it also makes the crew's job easier, too. It's one less mobility device to schlepp up from below deck; it's one less wheelchair in the hallway (for the record, we will bungee it on top of the pullout couch before we leave it in the hallway. Biggest pet peeve ever.)

And with that, I take my leave and go back to being a (mostly) lurker. Enjoy your cruises everyone.

I read this post and you clearly stated your feelings. I would call the cruise line and see what they can do for you(you know your needs). Ask to speak to a supervisor. Before you cancel there is no harm in making a phone call. For those that say you should have booked in advance because of your special needs, they do not know YOUR circumstances for booking late. I will not judge, because it is not the right thing to do.

I read this post and you clearly stated your feelings. I would call the cruise line and see what they can do for you(you know your needs). Ask to speak to a supervisor. Before you cancel there is no harm in making a phone call.

I did :). My conversation with NCL Access sparked post #13. No able bodied person is allowed to stay in an accessible cabin if someone books the cruise and has a documented need for it, no matter when the person with a disability books the cruise. They were most helpful.

And thanks for not judging. People in wheelchairs are really no different than other cruisers. Often we can plan ahead and sometimes we can't but are still happy to snag a great deal, and in our case, get out of the New England cold.

Edited by ChloeBelle910

Mking-- you are a saint for exchanging staterooms. To answer your questions, I'm not beating myself up. My health is such that we cannot plan ahead. Our last cruise we planned way ahead, but this situation is different. Everyone has different reasons for booking cruises when they do. But it often seems ok to scold people with disabilities for not booking ahead. I've been lurking on CC for years. I get what this board is about, and I understand that there are people on this board who make it a hobby or mission to learn as much about cruising as possible. The extra legwork I have to do around access issues leaves a little less time for researching other things so I am thankful for the wealth of info I've learned on this board. On another board, about another subject, I am the veteran who schools the newbies. I get it. ;)

What you stated in the earlier post about how/when accessible rooms are given to able bodied passengers is largely correct; confirmed by NCL Access Desk.

And to the person who suggested I was being unreasonable for wanting an accessible room after booking late, I assure you I am not. All I am asking is for a room that I can fit into if one is available that is not being used by another person who needs the room for the same reason. Would you feel YOU were being unreasonable for asking for a cabin that you could fit into? I don't think so. More importantly, NCL agrees with me. Able bodied people who are given accessible rooms are given written notification that their stateroom may change at any date prior to embarkation to another room in the same class if someone with a mobility issues needs the accessible cabin. If all the accessible rooms are booked by people who need them, I would never expect to get one. That would most certainly be unreasonable of me.

And in the end, putting people in accessible cabins who truly need them makes not only the experience better for people with disabilities (and sometimes merely just possible), but it also makes the crew's job easier, too. It's one less mobility device to schlepp up from below deck; it's one less wheelchair in the hallway (for the record, we will bungee it on top of the pullout couch before we leave it in the hallway. Biggest pet peeve ever.)

And with that, I take my leave and go back to being a (mostly) lurker. Enjoy your cruises everyone.

Hi I am sorry if you took my post to be stating you were unreasonable, I did not mean it that way. I was only stating that with any last minute booking whether HC or not it will always be the leftover rooms that no one else wanted. If someone scores their last minute dream cabin more power to them but more often then not that is not the case. If I had to have a certain cabin, personally I would change my date before I change the cabin. Booking far in advance gives you those options. Also I saw you comment that you were not able to book far in advance, actually you could, and if you found the date was not good for you 6 months down the road for whatever reason, you would always have the option to cancel and pick a new date that suits you better. If I went to book and NCL told me they only had insides or Oceanviews left, I would pick another date as I would never cruise in a closet. (Thats just my opinion, no flaming inside lovers lol)

Edited by iimmie