Captain's Club Cocktail Hour Changes

eddiebama

We are Elite Plus and after 23 Celebrity cruises we have our first one coming up in 4 week that we have the Classic Drink Package.

Usually the pricing is way to high for us to book a stateroom that includes the drink package. So we will see how we like it. We still intend to go up to the lounge occasionally to see if we can meet people and usually the Captain's Club Host(ess) is there and we like to chat with them.

I sometimes drink four glasses of wine at the happy hour, so if X goes to the coupons, that limits me.

We have two cruises on RCI next year, so looking forward to the Diamond Lounge.

Elite Plus with 32 Celebrity cruises( will we ever make Zenith??)

Most TA have vouchers based on amount of Elites on board. Then again we where on the Milly to Alaska for 7 days and only had 30 total Elites. ( we had a private rope off area in Lounge)

If under vouchers, true the servers get tip based on vouchers, but we have used vouchers from guests on packages or past cruisesas they never check the date on vouchers.

We are Elite Plus and after 23 Celebrity cruises we have our first one coming up in 4 week that we have the Classic Drink Package.

Usually the pricing is way to high for us to book a stateroom that includes the drink package. So we will see how we like it. We still intend to go up to the lounge occasionally to see if we can meet people and usually the Captain's Club Host(ess) is there and we like to chat with them.

FWIW, my last few cruises I have had the package, but even before I often grabbed a better drink before going to these events. I do often enjoy conversing with the Host(ess), and other passengers, but have always felt that the drinks they serve are not to my liking, and would prefer to pay for a good drink than get a cheap crappy one. With the package, I can always get what I prefer (either at or on the way to the event), and still enjoy the conversation.

FWIW, my last few cruises I have had the package, but even before I often grabbed a better drink before going to these events. I do often enjoy conversing with the Host(ess), and other passengers, but have always felt that the drinks they serve are not to my liking, and would prefer to pay for a good drink than get a cheap crappy one. With the package, I can always get what I prefer (either at or on the way to the event), and still enjoy the conversation.

I guess I am easy to please because I really don't have a problem with The Captain's Club drink menu. Vodka and tonic or appletini or a beer is more than enough to keep me happy.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app

So what is happening? Once upon a time most of the Elites (including moi) would go to the Happy Hour parties on a daily basis. After all, it was free drinks, some snacks, and good socialization. But now, a large majority of the Elites have drink packages provided as one of their booking amenities. When one has the drink package (be it Classic or Premium) there is little reason to trek up to the Elite Party. We are Elite Plus...and have not gone to those parties on our last 3 cruises because we have the Premium Package. We prefer to go to the Martini Bar where there are lots of people and the crowd is friendly (and lively). The drinks we get at the Martini Bar are not even available at the Elite Party...and the bar tenders at the Martini Bar are often a lot of fun (as are many of the passengers).

We will give the Celebrity management a lot of credit. Those Elite parties had become a real problem for management because more and more passengers were becoming Elite (or higher). The ship was giving away lots of free drinks which not only cost real money....but meant that all those Elites were not buying drinks. But now with the drink packages, the Elites are actually paying for their drinks (the drink packages are not really free) and most folks are happy. This is a real win for Celebrity....who has managed to minimize what used to be a major perk...and do it in a way where nobody thinks they have lost a perk.

Hank

On my last cruise I was an Elite. Big whoop. They gave us vouchers. I had upgraded to the premium package. I didn't need them thus I gave my bartender all of the coupons without getting anything in return. I didn't care what he did with them. I felt as long as it cost Celebrity something, either gratuity or free beers he took to other crew, it went to a good use.

I guess I am easy to please because I really don't have a problem with The Captain's Club drink menu. Vodka and tonic or appletini or a beer is more than enough to keep me happy.

We are easy to please too, but the last 2 cruises the Captain's club has not been that pleasant. Not a friendly group. So it is off to the Martini Bar for good times. Perhaps our paths will cross someday. Larry and Karen B

We are easy to please too, but the last 2 cruises the Captain's club has not been that pleasant. Not a friendly group. So it is off to the Martini Bar for good times. Perhaps our paths will cross someday. Larry and Karen B

That's because you need to cruise with us. Frank retired last Friday. Unfortunately I am still working.

Hank,

Well said. I haven't been very happy with the Celebrity pricing that for most cruises bundles the drink packages or other bennies with the bottom line price. We are elite and enjoy the happy hour socialization. Also, we are mostly wine drinkers and don't drink more than four glasses a day. We still won't buy a drink package at half price. This has been a common subject on cc and some posters have indicated they love the packages due to their quite unbelieveable consumption. Some have indicated they start drinking at breakfast and continue all day. One gentleman indicated that he drank a case of beer a day. I had a heavy drinking friend that recently died of liver failure at 65.

Back to your post and the business decision made by Celebrity. Yes, it appears to work. I can't help but believe that a fair number of people that buy the drink packages result in more $$$ for Celebrity than they would spend without the drink packages.

Agreed..the drink packages are very high priced. Would never get one at half price either. and am very happy with tap water in the daytime and my evening Happy Hour. 2 drinks are enough for me. I am looking after my liver

Cruise prices are much higher since the drink packages have been implemented. If there is no choice and the price is up we will take OBC or grats

Agreed..the drink packages are very high priced. Would never get one at half price either. and am very happy with tap water in the daytime and my evening Happy Hour. 2 drinks are enough for me. I am looking after my liver

Cruise prices are much higher since the drink packages have been implemented. If there is no choice and the price is up we will take OBC or grats

Glad to see you look out for your liver. My doctor advises me that moderate (two glasses of wine a day) is good for my circulation. However, beyond that is not so good. While on cruises we do go over the two glasses, but with the drinks packages one is encouraged to drink like I did at frat parties as a college freshman.

Our last cruise, we had the drink packages free and there were a couple of days where DW and I split a bottle of wine. I was perfectly happy.

We were on Reflection TA in April & we had vouchers. The time to use them was from 4.30 until 7pm. You could use them in the Sky lounge & the Passport bar.

Now that sounds like a different "twist"! On the T/A on "Sillie" in Nov. we had coupons valid from 5 to 7 pm and valid in all bars. Is this a fleet wide change do you think, or just Reflection policy for that one cruise? LuAnn