Just back from GC...

CruisinQueen2013

We are just back from Grand Cayman aboard the Navigator of the Seas. We had a great time! Let me know if anyone has questions - here's what we did: We took one of the early tenders off the ship and when we got to the island, we walked a block or two to the bus depot (very easy walk, didn't feel unsafe at all and we had our 2.5 year old with us). Hoped on a "bus" - really just a conversion van and asked for Public Beach. There was another couple getting off there as well. It was about a 10 minute ride and when we got there, it was a pretty easy walk to the beach (maybe 2 minutes at most). We grabbed a couple of chairs in the front and settled in for some beach time. We had a perfect weather day and the water was super clear and easy to navigate. After a few hours, we rinsed off and headed back toward the road where another bus stopped almost immediately and asked where we wanted to go. We just said Margaritaville because it was across from where we tendered and we couldn't remember the name of the pier we tendered in to - there are a couple. He actually took us back to the depot and then gave us directions - not that we needed them since that's where we started but it was nice enough. The ride was $2.50 each person, each way and all went well. We then just walked around for a bit, browsed a few stores, grabbed a quick lunch and it was already an hour before all aboard. We decided to head back and the line for the tender was VERY LONG!! It went relatively quickly though and we were back on the ship.

Edited by CruisinQueen2013

Near the end of 7 mile beach is Cemetery beach(no amenities) and is very nice with a reef for snorkelers not far from the beach. We call it $10 beach because that's what it cost us to get there and back using the local bus/jitney van...

Oh ok. I didn't realize "Public beach" was the actual name of the beach. :p I have never heard anyone on here actually mention that name before (or maybe I just thought they didn't know the actual name of the beach if they did say that). :o Thanks.

Did you have to get a ticket for the tender or just wait in line? What time did you get on the tender and when did you get in line for it? I think your cruise docked at 7am, as ours does in April. We want to spend as much time as possible in Cayman. We just love it! Thanks for the information! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Did you have to get a ticket for the tender or just wait in line? What time did you get on the tender and when did you get in line for it? I think your cruise docked at 7am, as ours does in April. We want to spend as much time as possible in Cayman. We just love it! Thanks for the information! :)

They weren't passing out tickets that day, we just headed down about 715 and waited maybe 10 minutes or so. They hadn't made the official announcement yet but there was already a decent line. I guess I wouldn't wait for the announcement.

What are the directions to the bus depot from the cruise port area??

Thanks

I guess it depends on which terminal your tender drops you off at. We were at the Walter terminal, next to the port authority. We just walked down past the port authority to the "intersection" and headed right (away from the ocean). After about a block or so, you come to kind of an open area, like a courtyard almost and you'll see the library just past it slightly to the right. The bus depot is right next to the library.

They weren't passing out tickets that day, we just headed down about 715 and waited maybe 10 minutes or so. They hadn't made the official announcement yet but there was already a decent line. I guess I wouldn't wait for the announcement.

I was on the same saildate. The cruise compass said RCI shore excursions would be allowed off first on the tender. I got to the line (which did not include RCI shore excursions) at about 7:05 and was about 4th in line. Sometime around 7:30, there were maybe 20-30 people in line. They let all of us onto what I'm pretty sure was the first tender.

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate the info. We are taking the public bus with our two kids in just over a weeks time straight to the turtle farm. On the way back we hope to stop at the beach around Calico Jack's.

Are the bus fares clearly visible and there is no haggling over totals? The fare was what you thought it would be?

My fear is always getting dropped somewhere and getting in a squabble with a driver over the agreed upon price. I guess I have watched too many "Bad Trips Abroad" TV shows. :)

Near the end of 7 mile beach is Cemetery beach(no amenities) and is very nice with a reef for snorkelers not far from the beach. We call it $10 beach because that's what it cost us to get there and back using the local bus/jitney van...

My family also loves Cemetery Beach!! And we also take the "bus". The best and cheapest way to get around Grand Cayman.

One think to be careful of: while the busses (they call them taxis) are a great way to get around, the drivers will try to maximize their fares by making as few stops as possible. Sometimes, they will pass up your destination to get to an area where they know they can puck up more fares, and then loop back around. If they pass up your stop, just get a bit vocal and they'll pull over.

Of course, if you aren't in a hurry, it is a good way to see the island.

One think to be careful of: while the busses (they call them taxis) are a great way to get around, the drivers will try to maximize their fares by making as few stops as possible. Sometimes, they will pass up your destination to get to an area where they know they can puck up more fares, and then loop back around. If they pass up your stop, just get a bit vocal and they'll pull over.

They call them taxis because they are taxis. :grin:

Even though they're large multi-passenger vans, they are still taxis, and yes, as with any taxis anywhere on the planet, they'll try to maximize their fares.

The buses may look similar, since they're mini-buses, but they are definitely buses with a route and a set fare. It's no advantage to them to avoid stopping to let you out, since they can fill your seat with another fare-paying passenger if you get off. More stops to pick people up equals more money. It would be counter-productive for them to keep you on the bus past your stop and risk not having space to pick up someone else.

You catch the taxis right at the port area. For buses you walk a couple of blocks to the depot. If you caught it right at the port, it was definitely a taxi.

Edited by bookbabe

They call them taxis because they are taxis. :grin:

Even though they're large multi-passenger vans, they are still taxis, and yes, as with any taxis anywhere on the planet, they'll try to maximize their fares.

The buses may look similar, since they're mini-buses, but they are definitely buses with a route and a set fare. It's no advantage to them to avoid stopping to let you out, since they can fill your seat with another fare-paying passenger if you get off. More stops to pick people up equals more money. It would be counter-productive for them to keep you on the bus past your stop and risk not having space to pick up someone else.

You catch the taxis right at the port area. For buses you walk a couple of blocks to the depot. If you caught it right at the port, it was definitely a taxi.

I can assure you we had that happen going out to cemetery beach and back. We talked to a couple who had been there the whole week and they told us it is common. The problem is that if they stop to let you off, and there is no one to get on, that's no money (they already have your money). They will pass up your stop if no one is waiting to get on in order to get to another stop (more money) faster.

I mentioned the taxi thing because most Americans associate "taxi" with a car or possibly a mini-van. The taxis in GC are more like shuttle buses.

I can assure you we had that happen going out to cemetery beach and back. We talked to a couple who had been there the whole week and they told us it is common. The problem is that if they stop to let you off, and there is no one to get on, that's no money (they already have your money). They will pass up your stop if no one is waiting to get on in order to get to another stop (more money) faster.

I mentioned the taxi thing because most Americans associate "taxi" with a car or possibly a mini-van. The taxis in GC are more like shuttle buses.

I still think you were likely in a taxi. What was the cost?

I have a house at Rum Point, and visit on average a total of 6-8 weeks per year, minimum. I've never seen that behaviour from the buses, especially since there are no set stops. I've even seen bus drivers detour off their "route" to take someone to their desired location.

I have seen that type of thing happen with the taxis, though.

Edited by bookbabe

Hi! We will probably visit Cemetery Beach in June. Seems to me like taking the bus in GC is safe and easy. How long before ship´s departure do you recommend to leave and head back to the ship?

I´m kind of a "safety-person", some may call me a control freak.... just a good thing to know when planning the departure!:eek:

Thanks for any advice! :)