Upgrading room at check in on the ship?

Hi Cruisers

First time sailing RCC - and we are going on the Indy in April 2015 - we have a great room - but are celebrating our 20th wedding anniv - and was wondering about possibly upgrading to a suite/if available when we check in at port.

have you done this? - and what is the ball park prices? - do they offer a bit of a discount? we have a nice balcony room - mid ship - so if it doesn't happen no big deal - just thought I would ask

Thank you - Love this forum!!

While this can be done in theory, the way that RC will drop prices to ensure a full ship usually eliminates the chance to upgrade at the pier. A "no rooms available" sign is usually displayed at the appropriate desk at the pier. Of course if you don't see that, never hurts to ask.

Doesn't hurt to ask; they will put your name on a list and go through upgrades (if available). Expect to pay the prevailing rate on any unsold inventory. You'd think at that point RCI would take anything to get a bit more revenue if they have the room available, but not necessarily.

It is possible but doubtful. They really had good prices too. Balcony to suite$300 total. Inside to balcony $600 total. But watch the prices as it gets closer, my navigator cruise on the 29th jr suites just dropped to $1099 for a senior rate and $1265 for a guarantee suite from almost $1600. Check your prices daily

It is possible but doubtful. They really had good prices too. Balcony to suite$300 total. Inside to balcony $600 total. But watch the prices as it gets closer, my navigator cruise on the 29th jr suites just dropped to $1099 for a senior rate and $1265 for a guarantee suite from almost $1600. Check your prices daily

THANK-You!! so much for this info - I have to call to apply a gift card will ask and stay on top of it online too!

Have a GREAT day!!

While this can be done in theory, the way that RC will drop prices to ensure a full ship usually eliminates the chance to upgrade at the pier. A "no rooms available" sign is usually displayed at the appropriate desk at the pier. Of course if you don't see that, never hurts to ask.

I concur with this, its been my perception as I approach 10 years of cruising with Royal that this one common practice is far less common. I did see on my 2011 Allure cruise that it said the ship was full, but they gave away an early cruise upgrade to a suite (don't remember which type) as a bingo prize. I didn't stick around, Murphy says a Grand Suite passenger probably won it.

As RCI have started a new 'upsell' email program just this week, late 'upgrades' will be come less available. These paid upgrades are made available in the weeks prior to a sailing and will be targeted.

Those booking directly will be notified by email and those booking through a travel agent will have the agent first notified 24 hours to receiving their own email.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/CAS/Flyers/15043237_Trade_Flyer_CAS.pdf

A few things to keep in mind.

A few thousand others will also want to upgrade.

Some have been trying to buy an upgrade for weeks already.

Cabins are usually full the day of boarding, so getting anything else is usually not an option even if you pull out a wad a $100 bills at checkin.

As RCI have started a new 'upsell' email program just this week, late 'upgrades' will be come less available. These paid upgrades are made available in the weeks prior to a sailing and will be targeted.

Those booking directly will be notified by email and those booking through a travel agent will have the agent first notified 24 hours to receiving their own email.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/CAS/Flyers/15043237_Trade_Flyer_CAS.pdf

Thank you MADflyer! .... that is good to know - we are a few weeks out - and we booked directly - so if it is meant to be, it will be - and if the email has a good deal we'll take it! Other wise we will be happy in our balcony 8 for room