March 1st Navigator of the Seas Review - with toddler!

Hi all - word of warning, traveling is my husband and I (5 months pregnant) and our 2.5 year old daughter so our activities/interests onboard may or may not match with yours. I am hoping this is helpful to those traveling with small kids as it is often hard to find reviews from those folks. Happy reading :)

We are from Missouri so we drove down to the port over a couple of days to get ourselves in vacation-mode before setting sail. The night before we stayed at the Fairfield Inn Houston Hobby airport - word of warning for anyone driving through Houston, take the 610 bypass! We went through on a Saturday afternoon and the interstate that goes through downtown (sorry, can't remember the name offhand) was insane! We finally grabbed an exit to take us to 610 and it was a day and night difference! Anyway, we ate at Gringo's Saturday night (about 3-4 miles from the hotel) and the food and service were great.

Day 1, coming up next!

Edited by CruisinQueen2013

Day 1 - Sunday

We left our hotel early and headed to the port. I read on the Galveston boards that the main interstate connecting Houston and Galveston can get backed up on embarkation day so we left early to beat the crowds. We got down there about 8:30 and stopped by Target to pick up a couple of last minute things (batteries, a new book for my daughter, etc.). We then drove around the island for a bit - seawall drive is scenic but it was heavy fog that day so you couldn't see too much. We got to port about 10:30 and my DH dropped us off at the port and he went to park (we had pre-purchased parking online through the port). He said everything was easy - car was under covered parking and there was a shuttle waiting to bring him back when he got out of the car.

We gave our luggage to a porter and when DH arrived, we headed inside. There was literally no line for C&A members. We walked right through security and right up to the check-in desk. We were in seats in the "lounge area" before 11am. They started boarding about 11:15, by C&A status and suites. We are platinum and for once in a few cruises, staying only in a balcony room so we were the 4th group called. We took our welcome aboard photo and there we were - onboard! Everything about check-in and boarding was easy, no complaints at all.

We are well aware of the craziness that is the WJ on embarkation day but we decided to stop by and just take a peek. It was pretty much empty so we decided to grab a quick bite. Definitely had our choice of tables but by the time we left, it was quite crowded. We walked around for a bit and then headed to our room - 1688, corner aft balcony. I know I have pictures of it but they are on the one camera I didn't clear off yet so I'll have to post those later. Needless to say, the room was great. Very spacious and great balcony. We saw our room steward, Mo, and asked him to make up the couch for our daughter. Side note here, the couch worked out great for her - he made the bed going the opposite way you'd do it for an older kid so she had lots of room to roll left to right and the arms of the couch became like guardrails. We never had any concern about her falling out.

We settled in and put her down for a nap until the muster drill. It was the typical experience, most people were there on time but always a few who show up late and make the rest of us wait. After muster, we headed up to deck 12 for sailaway. This was our first cruise out of Galveston, so we're used to beautiful sunny days out of Florida - this was much different. It was mid 60's (no problem) but very foggy...

Trying to post pics but our file sizes are so large - anyone have a quick tip on how to make smaller so CC will take them??

Edited by CruisinQueen2013

We didn't stay out there long as it got more chilly and windy the further out we got so we headed back to our rooms and unpacked some more and got ready for dinner. Being the first night and all, we went back to the WJ just because it's easy with a toddler. The food was pretty standard WJ fare - no real complaints, we were able to find something and there were several options for our daughter as well. After walking around for a bit, it wasn't long before she was getting tired and we headed back to get her ready for bed. Anyone traveling with small kids, I strongly recommend getting an aft balcony - not only does it give them room to play but it gives the adults a nice place to hang out during naps and once they are in bed for the night. We spent lots of time on our balcony.

Up next...Day 2, at Sea

To shrink your pictures use Irfanview. It is freeware and you can change the size of your pictures. I would post a link here but do not think it is allowed.

I've got that on my home PC but can't have it at work. I'll have to work on that tonight. I got them to shrink with paint but now they are too small...go figure. :) Thanks for the tip though, I had forgotten about that software.

Hi all - word of warning, traveling is my husband and I (5 months pregnant) and our 2.5 year old daughter so our activities/interests onboard may or may not match with yours. I am hoping this is helpful to those traveling with small kids as it is often hard to find reviews from those folks. Happy reading :)

We are from Missouri so we drove down to the port over a couple of days to get ourselves in vacation-mode before setting sail. The night before we stayed at the Fairfield Inn Houston Hobby airport - word of warning for anyone driving through Houston, take the 610 bypass! We went through on a Saturday afternoon and the interstate that goes through downtown (sorry, can't remember the name offhand) was insane! We finally grabbed an exit to take us to 610 and it was a day and night difference! Anyway, we ate at Gringo's Saturday night (about 3-4 miles from the hotel) and the food and service were great.

Day 1, coming up next!

The interstate that goes through Downtown is I45 and it is a nightmare!! I59 witch goes to the East of Downtown is no better on most days.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience on this ship with a toddler....we just booked the Navigator for March 2016 and will have our 2 toddler girls (they will be 3 and 1.5). We love aft balconies and thought it would be a good idea this time too for the extra space since our youngest will still be taking naps. We have cabin 1390 (i think). Any tips from your trip are greatly appreciated!

I can't wait to hear more. Did you use child care while you were on the boat? I am interested in your experience with that. We have been on 2 cruises and both were on Disney. The first time our kids were 8, 3, and 4mo. The second time our kids were 10, 4, and 2. We loved it but they are getting too pricey for us (I priced Wonder again out of Galveston and it was 6k for a family of 5).

My wife and I will be going in July on Navigator to check it out for our 15th anniversary without kids. If it turns out well we might book a trip for the family.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi OP, we will be cruising w our toddler (4) next year on Nav. How is the pool deck for toddlers? We have done Liberty w the H2O Zone...I'm a little nervous about the lack of a kids pool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi OP, we will be cruising w our toddler (4) next year on Nav. How is the pool deck for toddlers? We have done Liberty w the H2O Zone...I'm a little nervous about the lack of a kids pool.

There is no pool that allows diapers on Navigator. Children have to be potty trained to use the pools.

Do you remember if they offered the laundry deal during the week and how much it cost? The fill a bag one? Also, which night did it occur? Thanks!

The wash and fold bag is $30. We've had good luck asking the stateroom attendant for the bag to get it earlier than usual.

Yes, our son is potty trained.... But is there a splash deck area? Or only the deep pools?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are no kids pools BUT there are shallow (6 inch?) plateaus with railings next to them on the sides of the large pools - perfect for toddlers that can't swim!

My 4 year old is a great swimmer but I didn't want to have to be in the pool every minute with her so I just brought her swim bubble thing so that she could swim with me watching her (but not in with her).

• 1 month later...