Anyone a little nervous to sail?

Deebs2

We are doing Istanbul to Athens on 8/1. We are spending 4 nights in Istanbul before the cruise and heading back to Santorini after the cruise. The museum shootings in Tunisia have me a little worried. Anyone else?

We found Istanbul the warmest, most welcoming, friendly cities. We never once felt that our safety was in danger. It was a beautiful city, full of culture, history beauty with an exciting harbor. Truly great people. Despite being disappointed in the Greek Islands due to crowds and an overwhelming amount of tourist shops, I felt the islands were incredibly beautiful from the sea. Bodrum was glorious the castle and harbor and Ephesus was inspiring, every port in Turkey the people could not have been more welcoming. This was a great cruise and the sail away from Istanbul spectacular. Don't let your fears stop you, then they win, how tragic that would be for our difficult but wonderful world. Happy Sailing. Susanne

Not a bit worried. Yes, something can possibly happen wherever you are, but you could also get killed by a drunk driver while crossing the street in front of your house. Or, a stray comet could destroy your house.

If you give in to the terrorists, they've won.

We've just booked 4 nights in Istanbul and will enjoy every moment of it without a single concern. The people are lovely, you're treated like a welcome guest, and the food is FANTASTIC.

The hardest part of Istanbul was convincing our taxi driver that Windstar doesn't use the normal cruise port (at least when we were last there) but instead a dock much closer to the bridge. Despite saying he knew, he sped right past us while we were wildly pointing at the masts and saying "there, there". Much hilarity ensued as he tried to figure out how to turn around and go back through a tangle of congested one-way streets.

Edited by milepig

A mass incident like this takes over the public imagination precisely because there are many deaths grouped together. Like an airplane crash, where it's a "bunch", not a series of individual deaths.

In 2013, there were 32,719 vehicle deaths in the USA. That averages out to almost 90 people per day. Had they been bunched together rather than spread out in ones and twos across the country, the emotional effect would be far greater. You'd never want to get into your car to go to the grocery store. In reality, you willingly do so now because the numbers are scattered and the emotional impact is diminished.

Statistically, you are far more likely to die driving to the airport for your cruise than you are being killed by a terrorist. Or even on the airplane itself.

I've been to Tunisia. Been there, done that. Had no interest in going back, even before the shooting. Istanbul on the other hand. Been there several times, going back again and looking forward to it.

If you really want to get a handle on statistics and news reporting for laymen, I highly suggest John Allen Paulos' excellent book "A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper".

I wouldn't think twice about going to Istanbul again. I loved it there and always felt safe - the people are so warm and welcoming. The food is great and the city is so unique. Terrible things can happen anywhere, don't let it stop you from having a wonderful trip.

We are doing Istanbul to Athens on 8/1. We are spending 4 nights in Istanbul before the cruise and heading back to Santorini after the cruise. The museum shootings in Tunisia have me a little worried. Anyone else?

I'm booked on the same itinerary in September. Yup, I'm concerned.

we were on a med cruise couple years ago... we supposed to go to Israel and Egypt... key word supposed to... apparently rockets were launched and people were protesting... so our cruise itinerary was altered.

The cruise lines are intimate with travel advisories, and local conditions. not only are they concerned with the safety of their passengers, they have quite an investment in the sailing equipment the ships - they will not put anyone in danger, nor will they risk their investments.

Feel confident that you will be treated fairly and securely.