Cruise: Best of India and Shri Lanka. Safety?

Priya2

Plenty of time yet for things to change - keep an eye on Foreign Office guidance and ultimately make your decision from that.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of us despite feeling safe and having our wits about us are not aware of the latest intelligence as to what is really going on and therefore I doubt can really say how much risk there is, beyond the obvious.

Tourists seem to be targeted whether they're in taxis or tour buses. They're powerful targets that generate world wide media attention.

Edited by DYKWIA

I can understand why the OP has had second thoughts. Celebrity will change the itinerary if there is concern about any of the ports, but the OP is a UK resident and Celerity UK booking conditions mean that they will not be able to cancel without losing their deposit if they don't like the amended itinerary or just don't feel comfortable about visiting that part of the world as the sail date gets closer. From our own experience, it has to be a really major change of itinerary for Celebrity UK to give passengers the option of cancelling without losing their deposit, so anyone booking in countries where the deposit is not refundable really needs to be able to accept that they may not get to all the ports currently listed if they book a cruise in this part of the world so far ahead of the sailing date.

I just recently got off Azamara from Singapore to Istanbul We made stops in all three Cities in India and I felt perfectly safe. I did the Azamara tour from Cochin by air to Delhi to visit the Taj Mahal. It was incredible and something not to be missed !!! As a previous poster said, the scariest part of India is the roads and how they drive. Other than that, again, I felt perfectly safe. I walked for about 5 hours through the streets of Mumbai solo, and never ever was the least bit worried.

I had friends that would not take these cruises with me because of the pirate and terrorist risk through the Gulf os Aden and the Red Sea through the Suez Canal. It was totally uneventful and very enjoyable.

Unless there was a specific serious threat, I would never miss out on a opportunity to see the world and all it has to offer. I am sorry to say that because of some of these terrorists, some of the wonders of the world may not be there to see if you do not go now.

Again, India is not a country I would worry about. It was an incredible cruise and I saw great sites.

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked on this itinerary April 2017.

We were in NY Christmas before 9/11 - never ever believed NY could be a target. Our much loved capital city (London) has seen its share of sorrow.

We will keep on top of all relevant news/travel updates. If we had serious concerns we would not travel, regardless of cost of cancellation.

We do love the opportunity to go to new places and meet new people and have a flavour of their culture. We will be neither afraid to go to new destinations or risk our safety but we will always travel........

There is always a balance, the important thing is to keep things in perspective.