Regal princess -- which deck(s)?

Maraprince

For those who have already been on this ship, for less movement/rocking is it better to be on a lower deck (deck 6-9) or and upper (decks 15 or so)?

We are trying to book as mid ship as possible for Canada/NE in early October.

From our sailings on the Crown Princess we know that you do not want to be on the higher decks due to a lot of movement/rocking.

MARAPRINCE

on the Regal and Royal there are no passenger cabins on Decks 5, 6 and 7. We were on Deck 8 near the forward stairs and elevators, and it was great, very stable and a great location. If you like using the stairs for a few decks here and there, it is easy to get down to the Piazza, IC, dining rooms, Alfredo's and to walk up after a show at night. The forward elevators did not seem overly crowded. If you choose Deck 8 midship you will definitely notice the missing center staircase. Have read that those elevators are more crowded.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

on the Regal and Royal there are no passenger cabins on Decks 5, 6 and 7. We were on Deck 8 near the forward stairs and elevators, and it was great, very stable and a great location. If you like using the stairs for a few decks here and there, it is easy to get down to the Piazza, IC, dining rooms, Alfredo's and to walk up after a show at night. The forward elevators did not seem overly crowded. If you choose Deck 8 midship you will definitely notice the missing center staircase. Have read that those elevators are more crowded.

I agree. We were on deck 8 about six cabins aft of the forward stairs and elevators. I was happy with the location.

For those who have already been on this ship, for less movement/rocking is it better to be on a lower deck (deck 6-9) or and upper (decks 15 or so)?

We are trying to book as mid ship as possible for Canada/NE in early October.

From our sailings on the Crown Princess we know that you do not want to be on the higher decks due to a lot of movement/rocking.

MARAPRINCE

The Regal is a big ship, not much movement on our Med cruise.

You don't say what type of cabin you are looking for?

The higher deck thing you mention would apply to any ship.

My friends sailed on the Regal in the Med and they reported hardly any movement

However, last week's cruise we definitely experienced some movement. Didn't bother us but many were complaining.

While up at the buffet we definitely noticed a lot more movement than, say, on deck 5 or 6.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate the movement at a 3-4, which isn't saying much, but some people were quite bothered.

We basically had some bad wind not big waves

Edited by 4cats4me

The Regal is a big ship, not much movement on our Med cruise.

You don't say what type of cabin you are looking for?

The higher deck thing you mention would apply to any ship.

10/17 Canada/NE Balcony guarantee. So we do not know the deck. To save some money we went this way as we are also doing a Carnival cruise in early June which is proving to be quite a bit higher than we usually pay.

MARAPRINCE

Sunsetbeachgal - we are considering the emerald deck for the Regal in November - the combo of unstructured vs. partial, noise potential has me a bit hesitant - and my eyes start falling out of my head when I try to read the various threads on the topic. So - what cabin/s would you recommend?

10/17 Canada/NE Balcony guarantee. So we do not know the deck. To save some money we went this way as we are also doing a Carnival cruise in early June which is proving to be quite a bit higher than we usually pay.

MARAPRINCE

Guess what? Turns out that when my TA went to place the booking that the Princess rep mistakenly quoted my TA the price of an "inside" guarantee instead of a balcony guarantee! Boy are we disappointed!:(

But the worst part is that the pricing for a balcony guarantee for either deck 15 or 16 is exactly the same as if we went with a regular balcony on deck 8 a little off of mid ship to the aft! Deck 16 cabins are all the way forward and for us, that is not an option. Really don't understand the pricing on this one.

MARAPRINCE

Edited by Maraprince

Guess what? Turns out that when my TA went to place the booking that the Princess rep mistakenly quoted my TA the price of an "inside" guarantee instead of a balcony guarantee! Boy are we disappointed!:(

But the worst part is that the pricing for a balcony guarantee for either deck 15 or 16 is exactly the same as if we went with a regular balcony on deck 8 a little off of mid ship to the aft! Deck 16 cabins are all the way forward and for us, that is not an option. Really don't understand the pricing on this one.

MARAPRINCE

I would not wait too long, those cruises will sell out. :)

MARAPRINCE

We have ALWAYS booked a midship cabin for the same reason of not wanting much movement. We were on the Regal in January in cabin E408, midship deluxe balcony. I know many people point out the lack of midship stairs, but the forward stairs are MUCH closer to the midship area than they are on the Grand class ships and we did not miss them. We also never found the midship elevators to be a long wait except at times when everyone was 'moving' at the same time (port departures, embarkation and disembarkation).

Right now I see on the Princess website that the midship deluxe balconies are on sale for the same price as the midship regular balconies ($1399/pp).

I don't believe you 'save' any money by booking a 'guarantee' cabin that may put you in a less desireable location. The Emerald deck cabins are considered 'obstructed view', but I can assure you that there are NO obstructions in the midship cabins on that deck.

We were located directly above Crooners and never heard any noise or sounds from that venue during the evening.

We had one day of rougher seas - the pitching in the front and rear of the ship were measurable, but our cabin was consistently stable.

If I were in your situation and being in a midship cabin at a reasonable expense is important, I would forego the 'guarantee' and book a confirmed 'obstructed view' cabin midship, Deck 8. For the current sale, the deluxe balcony offers a bit more room with a loveseat for the same $$. We would not hesitate to take that cabin again (in fact we ARE - to NE/Canada in October!)

We have ALWAYS booked a midship cabin for the same reason of not wanting much movement. We were on the Regal in January in cabin E408, midship deluxe balcony. I know many people point out the lack of midship stairs, but the forward stairs are MUCH closer to the midship area than they are on the Grand class ships and we did not miss them. We also never found the midship elevators to be a long wait except at times when everyone was 'moving' at the same time (port departures, embarkation and disembarkation).

Right now I see on the Princess website that the midship deluxe balconies are on sale for the same price as the midship regular balconies ($1399/pp).

I don't believe you 'save' any money by booking a 'guarantee' cabin that may put you in a less desireable location. The Emerald deck cabins are considered 'obstructed view', but I can assure you that there are NO obstructions in the midship cabins on that deck.

We were located directly above Crooners and never heard any noise or sounds from that venue during the evening.

We had one day of rougher seas - the pitching in the front and rear of the ship were measurable, but our cabin was consistently stable.

If I were in your situation and being in a midship cabin at a reasonable expense is important, I would forego the 'guarantee' and book a confirmed 'obstructed view' cabin midship, Deck 8. For the current sale, the deluxe balcony offers a bit more room with a loveseat for the same $$. We would not hesitate to take that cabin again (in fact we ARE - to NE/Canada in October!)

I am trying to get a cabin on the 8 deck (Emerald) but it seems what I see on the Princess website is not what Princess is seeing! I sent my TA a screen shot of what I am looking at. Princess keeps offering guarantee cabins at the same rate as choosing a specific cabin. I'm not giving up yet!

MARAPRINCE

I am trying to get a cabin on the 8 deck (Emerald) but it seems what I see on the Princess website is not what Princess is seeing! I sent my TA a screen shot of what I am looking at. Princess keeps offering guarantee cabins at the same rate as choosing a specific cabin. I'm not giving up yet!

MARAPRINCE

I'm sorry, I am a bit confused and may be misunderstanding what you are looking to do. I have never done a 'guarantee' room before because I prefer choosing my own cabin. I know that a 'guarantee' room COULD potentially result in an upgraded cabin for the lowest price, but I am more concerned in having my specific cabin choice. I'd rather not have to wait until close to embarkation to find out where Princess is placing me.

So I am not sure why you are concerned about the 'guarantee cabins' if you want a specific deck and location.

When I look at the Princess website, I see several midship obstructed view balcony and deluxe balcony cabins available for the Oct 17 departure.

Why don't you choose the cabin you want and

a. book it online yourself ("I'll choose my own") and then 'transfer' the booking to your TA.

Or

b. Select the cabin you want and then tell your TA to book that cabin for you? (we have done this before without a problem).

The sale is still on for the price of the deluxe balconies the same as the standard balcony.

I hope you are able to resolve the issue! These cabins will probably begin to fill up soon. The midship cabins have the largest balconies and seem to be becoming more desirable.

I'm sorry, I am a bit confused and may be misunderstanding what you are looking to do. I have never done a 'guarantee' room before because I prefer choosing my own cabin. I know that a 'guarantee' room COULD potentially result in an upgraded cabin for the lowest price, but I am more concerned in having my specific cabin choice. I'd rather not have to wait until close to embarkation to find out where Princess is placing me.

So I am not sure why you are concerned about the 'guarantee cabins' if you want a specific deck and location.

When I look at the Princess website, I see several midship obstructed view balcony and deluxe balcony cabins available for the Oct 17 departure.

Why don't you choose the cabin you want and

a. book it online yourself ("I'll choose my own") and then 'transfer' the booking to your TA.

Or

b. Select the cabin you want and then tell your TA to book that cabin for you? (we have done this before without a problem).

The sale is still on for the price of the deluxe balconies the same as the standard balcony.

I hope you are able to resolve the issue! These cabins will probably begin to fill up soon. The midship cabins have the largest balconies and seem to be becoming more desirable.

Princess keeps insisting to my TA that only deck 15 or 16 cabins are available on a guarantee basis at the same rate it would be if we were to choose our cabin. We do not want to do a guarantee.

I sent a screen shot to my TA since the Princess rep is clearly not seeing what their own website is showing! Or, they really must have a hard time selling those cabins on deck 15 and 16 and try to push them as much as possible.

New thing -- they are offering a cabin all the way aft on deck 8.

It took some doing but finally we booked cabin E509!:D

MARAPRINCE