Something happening in South Beach at end of Feb. 2016?

GorillaPaper

Was doing some early looking for a cruise at end of feb. 2016. We normally stay in south beach 1 night before and 1 night after. For the night before, feb 26, hotels seem to be astronomical or sold out. Anyone know if there is something going on in the area or am I just that early?

Was doing some early looking for a cruise at end of feb. 2016. We normally stay in south beach 1 night before and 1 night after. For the night before, feb 26, hotels seem to be astronomical or sold out. Anyone know if there is something going on in the area or am I just that early?

Occupancy rates this season are setting records and through the roof.

I think it may just be that hoteliers keep raising their prices and people keep paying.

Both the boat show and the SBW&FF are not over your dates.

Also keep in mind that the majority of our visitors that time of year are Europeans and the Euro is worth more and the pound is worth a lot more than the dollar so our rates still look reasonable to them.

Edited by BlueHerons

Both the boat show and the SBW&FF are not over your dates.

Actually, the SBW&FF is one cause of the high prices that weekend. It is the 25-28. http://www.sobefest.com/

I've checked into this because we are cruising the week before and were wondering if that was the cause of the high prices ($100+ higher than what we paid this year).

I think you are right, BlueHeron -- they can book the rooms at the high prices, so that is what they are going to charge. I checked 15 hotels in Miami for 2/19/16 and only came up with four with rates below $300/night. A few haven't released rates online yet. I will continue to check prices, but we booked our hotel just in case rates continue to creep up.

I don't mind $300 but 6-700 is out of my price range! I'm either going to just pick now and cancel if a better rate comes along or wait awhile. One TA told me to wait until sept. But I also don't want to end up missing out. The day after the cruise is much cheaper so I thought there must be something happening. I know it's a long way off still but I like to plan ahead. Gives me something to look gorwRd to. lol

If your heart is set on South Beach, you may be out of luck. However, the Hampton Inn Brickell is showing less than $300 (before taxes) for that night. This was one of the more reasonable hotels for our week. Since it gets such good reviews, we booked it and will continue to watch the prices of other hotels just in case.

Actually, the SBW&FF is one cause of the high prices that weekend. It is the 25-28. http://www.sobefest.com/

I've checked into this because we are cruising the week before and were wondering if that was the cause of the high prices ($100+ higher than what we paid this year).

I think you are right, BlueHeron -- they can book the rooms at the high prices, so that is what they are going to charge. I checked 15 hotels in Miami for 2/19/16 and only came up with four with rates below $300/night. A few haven't released rates online yet. I will continue to check prices, but we booked our hotel just in case rates continue to creep up.

My mistake, I apologize.

This year my husband and I went to one of the events at the Shore Club and I begged and pleaded with the people at The Hotel for a local rate, and they got it down to $400 but threw in parking, breakfast, and two drinks.

Back when I was in the travel world, you had to wait 11 months out to book hotels and flights. So that would mean if you are looking at Feb 26th, 2016...a Friday night.....you would not have available dates until March 26, 2015. So you are looking just a few days too early. I saw the hotel prices and they are ridiculously high. Just check in a few days and I think you will see many more choices. So if that is still true, you will have to wait a least 1 more week to book your hotel at the end of your cruise....

And yes that food show is Feb 25-28, 2016

Back when I was in the travel world, you had to wait 11 months out to book hotels and flights. So that would mean if you are looking at Feb 26th, 2016...a Friday night.....you would not have available dates until March 26, 2015. So you are looking just a few days too early. I saw the hotel prices and they are ridiculously high. Just check in a few days and I think you will see many more choices. So if that is still true, you will have to wait a least 1 more week to book your hotel at the end of your cruise....

Thanks- that's what I told my husband yesterday...it's too early and convinced him we can wait a little while at least. [emoji1]

I checked 20 hotels and 15 had their reservations showing for February of 2016 (we booked a couple of weeks ago). Reservations are open for all of the major players. The only hotels that we didn't see open were a handful of boutique hotels in South Beach and downtown Miami.

We booked and if the prices go down, we'll cancel and go with the less expensive price. Since most of the hotels of the same class were in the same price range, I don't expect prices to move too much. I may be surprised, though.

I checked on Orbitz and could not book Feb 26th, 2016. I checked Trivago, and the rates were sky high. I just checked the Marriott website and was able to pull room rates for Feb 26th, 2016. So maybe some things have changed in the travel world. Marriott Courtyard MIA arpt was showing $209.00 for room including breakfast and 1 way ride to port included

:)

If you don't mind being in the downtown/brickell area, you can get the JW Marriott Downtown which is on Brickell ave for $228.04 or the JW marriott Marquis for $162.74.

As far as for south beach, they have quite a few hotels on it.

The Royal Palm is $322

Loews for $376

SLS for $370

national for $360

And a few others that I don't know about for less.

These are all on last minute travel

If you don't mind being in the downtown/brickell area, you can get the JW Marriott Downtown which is on Brickell ave for $228.04 or the JW marriott Marquis for $162.74.

As far as for south beach, they have quite a few hotels on it.

The Royal Palm is $322

Loews for $376

SLS for $370

national for $360

And a few others that I don't know about for less.

These are all on last minute travel

Thanks, will check some of these out. Yep, must be south beach for the hubby. I would take the Loews for that rate. Thx again!

Thanks, will check some of these out. Yep, must be south beach for the hubby. I would take the Loews for that rate. Thx again!

Don't wait, prices will only go up.

I would take the Loews or the SLS for that rate.

Since you will be in town, you should attend one of the SBW&FF events. They are a lot of fun!

Don't wait, prices will only go up.

I would take the Loews or the SLS for that rate.

Since you will be in town, you should attend one of the SBW&FF events. They are a lot of fun!

Will look into it. Thanks! Wish we had more than 1 day pre/post cruise!