Poll: Should shorts be allowed in MDR on Casual Nights

Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code  

525 members have voted

1. 1. Should shorts be allowed in the MDR Casual dress code

• Yes (I am a man)
    • Yes (I am a woman)
    • No (I am a man)
    • No (I am a woman)

How many of us force our families to "dress for dinner" at home.

I would expect probably most of us expect our families to "dress for dinner" to some extent. I wouldn't allow my son to come to the dinner table in nothing but his boxer shorts, for example. There would be some limit, but generally a very casual standard at home for just the family. If other guests were over, the standard would go up. And, if we were going out to dinner, the standard I would expect from my family would depend on the restaurant we were going to.

I think it's odd that some people think a pair of pants (vs shorts) is an onerous standard for the main dining room on a cruise ship. It's not a super-fancy venue, but the dining rooms do tend to be somewhat elegant. And there are generally multiple other venues that are far more casual.

I'm not saying that what other people wear to dinner is a big issue for me; just that I find it odd that some people have a big issue dressing to a standard that is not very strict to begin with.

Yes. I am in my early 20's and I know many that won't go cruising because of this. We are in the 21st century people wake up :eek:

Seriously? Won't go cruising because of the fear of being expected to wear a pair of pants to dinner?

So, you just made up the part about people avoiding cruising for fear of having to put on a pair of pants?

The fear of not being allowed to wear shorts on casual nights. I know that when i go to all inclusive resorts the dress codes are much more relaxed. That's what young people want

Edited by UpTheBanner

The fear of not being allowed to wear shorts on casual nights

Didn't realize the 20-something generation was that feeble. Fear of having to change out of shorts for a couple hours, if they choose to dine in the main dining room is pretty weak.

Didn't realize the 20-something generation was that feeble. Fear of having to change out of shorts for a couple hours, if they choose to dine in the main dining room is pretty weak.

So you are not in favor of people choosing for themselves and being comfortable on casual night. Please vote and save the debate for another thread.

You taking only a small fraction of what the OP said and turning it back on him is what is pretty weak.

So you are not in favor of people choosing for themselves and being comfortable on casual night. Please vote and save the debate for another thread.

I already voted. I was just curious about the statement that the prospect of being expected to wear pants at dinner in one of the several dining options would be enough to drive people away from cruising.

Many of the all-inclusive resorts are similar - having some dining venues that allow shorts and others that don't.

You taking only a small fraction of what the OP said and turning it back on him is what is pretty weak.

Actually, I did not edit what the other person said. He edited his post to add more to it, after I'd already hit the reply button.

I already voted. I was just curious about the statement that the prospect of being expected to wear pants at dinner in one of the several dining options would be enough to drive people away from cruising.

Many of the all-inclusive resorts are similar - having some dining venues that allow shorts and others that don't.

I know people who feel similarly and they are not in their 20s. They go on vacation to lay on beaches and hang out and whenever we try to get them on a cruise they say it is too stuffy and rigid for their tastes. I try to tell them it's a myth and they have options but it's hard to convince people when they come here and read the dress threads.

I know people who feel similarly and they are not in their 20s. They go on vacation to lay on beaches and hang out and whenever we try to get them on a cruise they say it is too stuffy and rigid for their tastes. I try to tell them it's a myth and they have options but it's hard to convince people when they come here and read the dress threads.

Is it really because they think "no shorts, tank tops or bare feet" for the evening meal in the main dining room is enough to make it too stuffy? That's the part I find surprising, that just that simple minimum rule for one venue during one meal of the day would be enough to turn people away.

I wouldn't do it (I was brought up to "dress for dinner") but if people want to wear shorts, who cares? There were a lot of people in shorts in the MDR on my recent Brilliance cruise. I was surprised, but it didn't bother me at all. Didn't change the way the food tasted or anything. Frankly, some of the things I saw on formal night were way more offensive than the shorts I saw. I think there should be requirements about how much of your body has to be covered!!

Edited by bluegirlum

What is so obnoxious about men's legs that people don't want to see them at the dinner table? This is really a sexist issue since women are "allowed" to let it all hang out as long as they are wearing a dress no matter how short, how low cut, or how tight.

I think men's legs are attractive, as well as a good flat butt. I, too, would like to appreciate the finer qualities of a man's physique at dinner (eye candy for women) and really like tight golf shirts and leg revealing shorts. Why do only men deserve some good scenery at dinner?

Is it really because they think "no shorts, tank tops or bare feet" for the evening meal in the main dining room is enough to make it too stuffy? That's the part I find surprising, that just that simple minimum rule for one venue during one meal of the day would be enough to turn people away.

They think having to dress up is mandatory. I tell them otherwise but sometimes people won't believe it until they experience it. The point is many people may feel cruising is too rigid and regimented. They don't have the experience to know differently.

What is so obnoxious about men's legs that people don't want to see them at the dinner table? This is really a sexist issue since women are "allowed" to let it all hang out as long as they are wearing a dress no matter how short, how low cut, or how tight.

I think men's legs are attractive, as well as a good flat butt. I, too, would like to appreciate the finer qualities of a man's physique at dinner (eye candy for women) and really like tight golf shirts and leg revealing shorts. Why do only men deserve some good scenery at dinner?

Thread winner!!!

Bekijk de benen!!!

They think having to dress up is mandatory. I tell them otherwise but sometimes people won't believe it until they experience it. The point is many people may feel cruising is too rigid and regimented. They don't have the experience to know differently.

That's sort of what I thought; that they probably feel the whole experience is somewhat stuffy, rather than believing a "no shorts, tank tops or bare feet" for dinner in the MDR is stuffy.

Edited by Paul65

DH & I who are shall we say are 65 + don't concern ourselves with what others wear, even if we get out of our daily shorts and he puts on a nice shirt and pair of pants & I wear long pants and a nice blouse, as long as the person coming to dinner is dressed neatly. Shorts, long pants, makes no differance to us and doesn't affect our meal. On the formal nights, then we do feel one should dress up a little more. We were surprised during our NZ cruise last March, on casual nights, how many men came in cargo shorts and ladies in knee length slacks. Even the formal nights people didn't dress up much, yet no cargo shorts seen on men & more suits.

Edited by Desert Cruizers