Talum, Chitzen Itza or snorkeling?

lbt43

Tulum and other Mayan sites are an all-day tour from Coz, including ferry rides to/from Playa del Carmen that are sometimes rough. :eek: Because of the logistics involved I would only do one of these by booking through the cruise line.

Coz offers great snorkeling, both in tours to the reef or from the shore at either Chankanaab marine park ($20 admission fee) or the Money Bar (free & great snorkeling, but no beach). Sounds like a much more fun and relaxing day to me, but it is your cruise. :cool:

Thanks! yeah, I really want to go to the turtle cove and do some snorkel. However, It has always been a dream of mine to see Tulum. I guess I have some thinking to do. I would also like to see Chitzen, but that seems to be fading behind at this time.

Carnival screwed up when they stopped docking at Calica. It was easy access to Tulum, Yal Ku Lagoon and Akamal. Now you have to take the ferry from Coz to Playa Del Carman and then take a cab, tour or collectivo to Talum. It is a long trip and could get exciting if you missed a ferry or had car trouble. The only way that I would do Talum from Cozumel would be through the ship. Chitzen Itza would be nothing but a bus ride to and from with little or no time at the ruins.

Edited by clackey

We did chichen Itza but we were in progresso Mexico not cozumel. The structures were better than tulum. Tulum has a better setting being on the beach. We did that tour thru carnival but didn't have any time to go to the beach.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Forums mobile app

Thanks! yeah, I really want to go to the turtle cove and do some snorkel. However, It has always been a dream of mine to see Tulum. I guess I have some thinking to do. I would also like to see Chitzen, but that seems to be fading behind at this time.

When you say turtle cove, are you talking about Akumal? That's not terribly far from Tulum and if you have a long day in port, you could feasibly do both. If you want to have a nice day, though, I'd choose only one.....and book it through the ship. Any trips to the mainland have lots of variables that can make you miss your ship, so better to stick to Cozumel if you want to go off on your own, or do a ship's excursion if you want to go to the mainland (Tulum, Akumal.....I would not suggest Chichen Itza from Coz.)

There is a snorkeling excursion to a turtle sanctuary from rccl

Is the sanctuary on Coz or on the mainland? :confused:

Any tour going to the mainland will involve a round trip ferry ride from Coz to Playa del Carmen and then your transport (bus/van/etc.) to the tour site - meaning most of your day is spent getting there and getting back. I'd prefer to spend most of my time snorkeling or enjoying the beaches on Coz, but it is your cruise. Good luck! :)

There is a snorkeling excursion to a turtle sanctuary from rccl

Hmmm, I don't see that on the list of RCCL excursions. The only thing I see is the "Save a Sea Turtle" experience which I would think is seasonal. Doesn't look like there is any snorkeling involve.

The only place in the area, that you are "almost" guaranteed to see turtles is in Akumal (Mainland). And that's not a sanctuary, it's just a beach/cove where there is a lot of turtle grass and there tends to be a lot of turtles there. They are in the wild and not "cared for or caged" so to speak.

Hmmm, I don't see that on the list of RCCL excursions. The only thing I see is the "Save a Sea Turtle" experience which I would think is seasonal. Doesn't look like there is any snorkeling involve.

The only place in the area, that you are "almost" guaranteed to see turtles is in Akumal (Mainland). And that's not a sanctuary, it's just a beach/cove where there is a lot of turtle grass and there tends to be a lot of turtles there. They are in the wild and not "cared for or caged" so to speak.

Yes, that's what I saw as well. That is the excursion I meant.