Do I have a drink problem?

Lanky Lad

I agree completely, that has been my experience as well. It's only on these boards that people feel the need to mention it over and over again for no apparent reason. Such as "I only travel in the Grills, so I can't answer your irrelevant question". :)

Hi Brigitte. I confess having mentioned repeatedly that I have never booked Grill accommodations and therefore I am unqualified to answer questions pertaining to that category. Just my personal opinion, but I think it is helpful when passengers make it clear what categories they have experienced.

I've read many interesting post from passengers who booked inside cabins and obscured view balcony cabins, as well as post from those who book Grill category. To each their own, but I find it interesting and helpful when reading about the different experiences in various categories.

Cheers from a rower!

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Salacia, I absolutely agree that a lot of good information has been given by the people who book the Grills.......including answering questions that have been asked. Very helpful. Then there are others......:)

And if people didn't tell us what it's like in the Grills.....we'd never know, would we? :D

Not 'worried' about the 'class' thing, just do not like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There is no more 'class thing' on a Cunard ship than on any other line or plane or even train. They all have different 'grades' at different prices. Why do people think it is a 'class thing' when talking about Cunard as opposed to P and O for instance. Are all their cabins the same price, size etc? No,of course not. So surely they are exactly the same as Cunard and all the other lines.

There is no more 'class thing' on a Cunard ship than on any other line or plane or even train. They all have different 'grades' at different prices. Why do people think it is a 'class thing' when talking about Cunard as opposed to P and O for instance. Are all their cabins the same price, size etc? No,of course not. So surely they are exactly the same as Cunard and all the other lines.

That is right of course but on P&O we all use all the same parts of the ship no matter what price we have paid.

That is right of course but on P&O we all use all the same parts of the ship no matter what price we have paid.

Apart from the speciality restaurant for breakfast.

That was one of the things that puzzled me about P&O, the suites are expensive enough but the perks aren't very impressive.

Edited by hattie the cattie

Hi again :)

On QM2 all passengers have access to all public rooms with two exceptions, a tiny indoor (no view!) lounge on Deck 9, and another small lounge on Deck 7.

There is a small deck area reserved for passengers in suites (with no pool, but one hot tub).

And passengers in suite accommodation take meals in two restaurants, not in the main grand Britannia Restuarant.

Other than that, the whole ship is open to all.

My elderly parents on their first QM2 cruise, who were looking for the class-barriers of old were delighted to find they were able to "go everywhere on board", they didn't discover the separate lounge, dining rooms and small deck area until their second time on the ship, and even then said "you'd really have to look for them, easy to miss". They loved the completely open atmosphere on board. Like you, they had an old-fashioned view of Cunard, and imagined lots of barriers and no entry signs.

I wouldn't keep going back time and again if any of the suppositions about the old-fashioned class structure, that others have about Cunard, were true.

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn

Apart from the speciality restaurant for breakfast.

That was one of the things that puzzled me about P&O, the suites are expensive enough but the perks aren't very impressive.

I agree. Suites on P&O are very expensive and you get very few perks. On a world cruise a full suite costs over £50,000 for two people and according to a friend who booked one for this year on Arcadia (but subsequently had to cancel) they were not even getting a free bar. The suites are really just over-sized staterooms with butler service, and options for in-suite dining. Never heard that they had a separate breakfast restaurant for suites on P&O.

I don't mind how many suite perks are given actually in the suite - free internet, stocked and even staffed free bar - but I don't think there should be separate dining rooms, lounges, sections of the theatre etc reserved for suite passengers only (or any group of passengers for that matter), the ship facilities should be for everyone.

The only perks I do totally agree with are those associated with 'loyalty' such as separate breakfast seating areas and an early evening free or subsidised bar/canapes service.

Hi again :)

On QM2 all passengers have access to all public rooms with two exceptions, a tiny indoor (no view!) lounge on Deck 9, and another small lounge on Deck 7.

There is a small deck area reserved for passengers in suites (with no pool, but one hot tub).

And passengers in suite accommodation take meals in two restaurants, not in the main grand Britannia Restuarant.

Other than that, the whole ship is open to all.

My elderly parents on their first QM2 cruise, who were looking for the class-barriers of old were delighted to find they were able to "go everywhere on board", they didn't discover the separate lounge, dining rooms and small deck area until their second time on the ship, and even then said "you'd really have to look for them, easy to miss". They loved the completely open atmosphere on board. Like you, they had an old-fashioned view of Cunard, and imagined lots of barriers and no entry signs.

I wouldn't keep going back time and again if any of the suppositions about the old-fashioned class structure, that others have about Cunard, were true.

Best wishes :)

That reassures me Pepperrn. Will keep an open mind on Cunard although I still have flashbacks to the Titanic film and those poor steerage passengers behind those bars 😄

Camgirl mentioned 'planes. I'll add hotels.

We all seem to accept that some turn left when getting on a 'plane, most turn right. Or that most walk through business class to get to cattle class at the rear.

Should people not book any airline with separate areas allocated according to how much people pay for their ticket? Only fly with "one-class" airlines? Or do most quietly take their seat and say "one day"...

Why should ships be any different from 'planes?

Many hotels have separate floors with private access, with separate lounges and sometimes exclusive dining rooms. Those who pay more are pampered. I stayed at a top London hotel recently. I paid a lot of money for my room, but there was a section of the hotel to which I was denied access, it was reserved for those in the more expensive suites.

I'll add... frequently when I book a concert or sporting event, I'm given a choice between a seat with a view, and a hospitality area with drinks, canape included, chances to meet the stars, closer to the action, etc. It is my choice to book the seat and not the oh-so-special area.

Why should ships be any different to 'planes, hotels or concerts?

Many cruise lines are now copying (and going beyond) Cunard by having whole areas that are exclusive to those in the priciest suites (sometimes with separate pools, terraces, spas, gyms etc, turning the clock back 100 years).

Except that, as I said above, on the vast QM2, you could easily spend the whole voyage not being aware that there are a couple of rooms you've not been in to so far...

Best wishes to all :)

Edited by pepperrn

That reassures me Pepperrn. Will keep an open mind on Cunard although I still have flashbacks to the Titanic film and those poor steerage passengers behind those bars
Hi Dorset Cruiser,

Sorry, my post above crossed with yours, it was not aimed at you I promise :o .

As a "poor steerage passenger" myself, I can assure you that I've never been behind bars on a ship.

However, in front of one, being served a martini, many times :D .

With sincere best wishes to you, and many happy sailings .

Edited by pepperrn

Hi Dorset Cruiser,

Sorry, my post above crossed with yours, it was not aimed at you I promise :o .

As a "poor steerage passenger" myself, I can assure you that I've never been behind bars on a ship.

However, in front of one, being served a martini, many times :D .

With sincere best wishes to you, and many happy sailings .

Thanks Pepperrn - wouldn't mind sharing a bar with you on Cunard 😄

Peppern, You are right about Britannia passengers not even realizing where the few restricted Grills areas are. I accidentally came across the Queens Grill lounge entrance once......and wouldn't be able to locate it again without a concentrated effort.

It seems RCI, along with Celebrity, is now actively working on the class system. Most offensive, to me, is having the suite guests bypass those in line at the restaurant entrances. In my opinion......a line is a line....and no one passenger deserves priority over another. At least have two separate lines.....that wouldn't be offensive. Priority reservations, yes, right along with the other priorities that Suite guests pay for.

As unobtrusive as Cunards policies are, I find it strange that Cunard seems to always be the Line that draws the criticism for having the class system or snooty passengers.

Well dressed does not constitute snooty. :D

Edited by brigittetom

Peppern, You are right about Britannia passengers not even realizing where the few restricted Grills areas are. I accidentally came across the Queens Grill lounge entrance once......and wouldn't be able to locate it again without a concentrated effort.

It seems RCI, along with Celebrity, is now actively working on the class system. Most offensive, to me, is having the suite guests bypass those in line at the restaurant entrances. In my opinion......a line is a line....and no one passenger deserves priority over another. At least have two separate lines.....that wouldn't be offensive. Priority reservations, yes, right along with the other priorities that Suite guests pay for.

As unobtrusive as Cunards policies are, I find it strange that Cunard seems to always be the Line that draws the criticism for having the class system or snooty passengers.

Well dressed does not constitute snooty. :D

Heárd it said that on Celebrity suite guests not only have their own lounge but they are allowed to bypass the queue in Blu which is the Aqua Class restaurant.

but they are allowed to bypass the queue in Blu which is the Aqua Class restaurant.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Others may not mind at all, but I do.

I think, for the prices they pay, Suites and Grills should have their own lounge if they prefer a more quiet atmosphere. I've never envied them that, and on many trips have been told that the Queens Grill lounge is too quiet and boring. :D

If you really want to see suite perks, have a look at The Haven on NCL or MSC's Yacht club !

Welcome to a private world of luxury at sea - a ship-within-a-ship reserved exclusively for Norwegian's special guests. Each elegant suite and villa in The Haven provides you with the finest amenities, and the expert services of our concierge and 24-hour butlers. Step outside your residence and you'll enter a secluded Courtyard where you can spend your sea days relaxing, dining and enjoying exquisite privacy. We call it The Haven by Norwegian. You'll call it pure paradise

Located on the most desirable foredecks, the MSC YACHT CLUB is a haven of peace and refinement, with an exclusive butler service and complete spectrum of luxury private facilities to bring you an unforgettable luxury cruise experience.

Top Sail Lounge: an elegant panoramic lounge with spectacular views.

The One Pool deck: an exclusive leisure deck complex for MSC YACHT CLUB guests with:

- swimming pool

- 2 whirlpool baths

- sun deck

Panoramic Private Restaurant: Le Palmeraie on MSC Preziosa, Le Muse on MSC Divina, L'Étoile on MSC Fantasia and L'Olivo on MSC Splendida.