New 'Exclusion' on the $10. coupon...

Shippy

The $10. coupon you can buy onboard has been debated on these threads before so I do not want to get into that. This info is just for those like myself that have been successful using it.

These are the new credits for the next booking.....exclusions apply like before...

inside $100.

ocean view $150

balcony $200.

suite $300.

yacht club $400.

We have gotten the $400. for previous cruising. We have had a YC2 & YC3.

As I was preparing to book a YC3 for next March today, I pulled out my coupon to have the serial number on it ready to give the travel agent.

In the fine print they have added that YC2 and 3 catagories are excluded !

Can anyone see the logic in this???

If I book a YC1, I get $400. credit. If I book a YC 2 or 3 I get NOTHING !

You are penalized for getting a better room ??

I spoke to a nice lady at MSC this afternoon who agrees with me and said she would look into it. She said she heard of such a change coming but had not seen it in writing so I faxed her a copy....we just go it 2 weeks ago.

Can't wait to see what she says after checking it out !

SHippy,,,we purchased our future cruise credit back in August and it clearly stated that it is not valid for YC2 or YC3 category staterooms. Now the big question is,,does that on board credit count towards rewards points if you spend it???:confused:

SHippy,,,we purchased our future cruise credit back in August and it clearly stated that it is not valid for YC2 or YC3 category staterooms. Now the big question is,,does that on board credit count towards rewards points if you spend it???:confused:

We have cruised before with the original coupon . that just stated Yacht Club as a catagory . There were no exclusions.

there are only 6 of these cabins so it really makes no sense.

And as the previous poster stated....very few people even know of their existence.

They are sold onboard where the 'next cruise' area is. if you ask for a next cruise booking coupon, they will sell you the $100. one that gives you $100. future credit but has very few restrictions. You have to specifically ask for the $10. one.

I was actually surprised they are still selling them because they are really quite generous.

We might have to get a YC1 instead....just on principle according to my husband but I really want the 2 or 3,

We have cruised before with the original coupon . that just stated Yacht Club as a catagory . There were no exclusions.

there are only 6 of these cabins so it really makes no sense.

And as the previous poster stated....very few people even know of their existence.

They are sold onboard where the 'next cruise' area is. if you ask for a next cruise booking coupon, they will sell you the $100. one that gives you $100. future credit but has very few restrictions. You have to specifically ask for the $10. one.

I was actually surprised they are still selling them because they are really quite generous.

We might have to get a YC1 instead....just on principle according to my husband but I really want the 2 or 3,

We received a $400.00 OBC when we booked a YC1 for our TA in October. We would have liked to stay in 16008 again, but the larger square YC1 stateroom will be plenty fine for us. I'll definitely be purchasing a couple more of the future cruise credits in April so we can use them for our winter sailings in 2016.:)

We received a $400.00 OBC when we booked a YC1 for our TA in October. We would have liked to stay in 16008 again, but the larger square YC1 stateroom will be plenty fine for us. I'll definitely be purchasing a couple more of the future cruise credits in April so we can use them for our winter sailings in 2016.:)

Are some yc1 larger than others ???

Are some yc1 larger than others ???

From my understanding there are maybe 8 cabins in YC1 that are bigger. 4 on deck 15, 4 on 16. If you look on the map you will see they are square vs rectangular. I tried to get one but they go quick for people who know or book far out. Yep... Good to know for future cruises.

A couple of questions from a newbie, if I may. What do these coupons represent? Do you have to actually book your future cruise or is it a future OBC for whenever you do book? (Time limit?) How much current or future OBC credit do you get? And why would you spend $100 on one if you could get one for $10, (except for the YC1 limitation), for the same price?

Also, I was able to book one of the square YC1s. Are the bathrooms any different from the rectangular cabins?

Thank you in advance!

:cool:

Ali

A couple of questions from a newbie, if I may. What do these coupons represent? Do you have to actually book your future cruise or is it a future OBC for whenever you do book? (Time limit?) How much current or future OBC credit do you get? And why would you spend $100 on one if you could get one for $10, (except for the YC1 limitation), for the same price?

Also, I was able to book one of the square YC1s. Are the bathrooms any different from the rectangular cabins?

Thank you in advance!

Ali

Juneau,,,you can purchase a future cruise credit while onboard for $10.00. You can then redeem this certificate towards onboard credit on your next booking. So for instance, we purchased one back in August while onboard Divina. When we returned back home, we booked a YC1 stateroom and in return received $400.00 in onboard credit. AS the category of stateroom decreases,,so does the amount of onboard credit you receive,,the minimum being $100.00. So it's a great deal if you plan to sail MSC again in the future.

Sorry I can't answer the second part of your question,,there are a few resident MSC stateroom experts that can give you better information on the square staterooms. If you know your stateroom number however,,you can browse youtube for videos,,,there are plenty of them out there.

Thanks, Mike! Those OBCs are much more generous than NCL's. :D

The certificate must be used within 18 months from the purchase date:

: It cannot be converted into cash, and is neither transferable nor refundable

: It is applicable to the prices stated in the brochure

: It may be combined with the "Early Booking" promotion and the MSC Club member discount; it cannot be combined with other promotions and is not applicable to CATEGORY YC2 and YC3 cabins

: It may be used to book cruises of seven days (or more)

: It may only be used once and for one cabin only

Inside Cabin : $100.00

Ocean View Cabin : $150.00

Balcony Cabin : $200.00

Suite : $300.00

MSC Yacht Club YC1 : $400.00

• 1 month later...
Just found out I can't use my $10 voucher on our January cruise due to it being booked under the Wave promotion. Will check on the Anytime Rate to see what the difference in price would be.

Not certain what the T&Cs were for those sold in the US but elsewhere the only deals they can be used on is MDC Club discounts and early booking Pronto prices.

To anyone buying them, keep the certificate safe. Even if they know you have bought it and have proof of buying it, you can't claim it without the original bit of paper. I know, I stupidly lost one. Mind you could not have used it within the 18 month time limit anyway as I haven't cruised with them since last April and my next cruise with them is not until April 2016 and would not have qualified as it was a promotional price.

The vouchers can be used on an 'Early Booking' rate. Sometimes MSC will price sailings under other promotion names that the voucher can't be use with, where the overall price (if you factor in the voucher value) actually work out cheaper so they're not always a great deal. Having said that, I'm getting €400 OBC on my upcoming cruise and, in this instance so far, has worked out at great value as there hasn't been a better promotion price since I booked and there isn't likely to be - YC promotional prices here are hard to come by.

The vouchers can be used on an 'Early Booking' rate. Sometimes MSC will price sailings under other promotion names that the voucher can't be use with, where the overall price (if you factor in the voucher value) actually work out cheaper so they're not always a great deal. Having said that, I'm getting €400 OBC on my upcoming cruise and, in this instance so far, has worked out at great value as there hasn't been a better promotion price since I booked and there isn't likely to be - YC promotional prices here are hard to come by.

Agreed. To date I've bought 2, total investment €20. Was able to use one and got a €200 OBc, so I'm already ahead. Will buy another on my next cruise next year. It is worth the €10 gamble that you'll find a cruise you can use it on within 18 months.

Agreed. To date I've bought 2, total investment €20. Was able to use one and got a €200 OBc, so I'm already ahead. Will buy another on my next cruise next year. It is worth the €10 gamble that you'll find a cruise you can use it on within 18 months.

I was so glad for you, Amo, that you managed to get a solo rate for your next cruise - your enthusiasm for MSC and especially the repos made it such a shame that you weren't able to avail of them this year!

On the subject of the vouchers - it certainly is worth the €10/$10 "gamble" LOL :)

I was so glad for you, Amo, that you managed to get a solo rate for your next cruise - your enthusiasm for MSC and especially the repos made it such a shame that you weren't able to avail of them this year!

On the subject of the vouchers - it certainly is worth the €10/$10 "gamble" LOL :)

Thank you. I'm not exactly suffering though this year, another trip back to Australia and a wee side trip to NZ!

I did however start to think, I'd sailed my last cruise with them.

Thank you. I'm not exactly suffering though this year, another trip back to Australia and a wee side trip to NZ!

Indeed :cool: That's a biggie :)

I did however start to think, I'd sailed my last cruise with them.

Which would be a shame.

I haven't done a land-based trip in a couple of years (apart from one combined with a cruise in May last year) and keep promising myself I'll book one, but the cruise bug seems to have bitten me hard and I'm forever watching for offers and interesting itineraries LOL!

I did my first repo in March last from Brazil on Preziosa. I can now understand why people love them! I chose it as it was very port intensive. I'm now booked on Divina from Barcelona to Miami in October - another "couldn't resist the price on offer" :rolleyes: To return to the OT - I can't use my voucher with it :( Ah well, I'll just have to keep my eyes peeled for an Early Booking rate on another cruise - it's valid for at least another year so I've plenty of time :D

How far in advance are the early booking rates? I have never seen that promotion.

How far in advance are the early booking rates? I have never seen that promotion.

On the website (Ireland or UK ones, anyway) when you choose a particular itinerary, it'll have a notification advising that there are special rates:

Special Rates Available on this Sailing!

There are several special rates available on this itinerary. You can select them from the drop-down menu on the right, and choose the one that best meets your needs. Once you make your selection, you'll be able to view the prices for the selected promotion.

MSC change the promotions constantly - until recently, I thought that 'Early Booking' was only available for cruises at least six months out. At the moment, EB is running on my upcoming cruise in September so it seems it's at the whim of MSC!

From what I've managed to garner as an avid 'watcher' of pricings, the promotions have automatic calculations built-in so the prices adjust according to the input on the website. Some promotions are even better value than the Early Booking rate which allows the voucher to be used. The OBC can end up being of less value than a more discounted price on another promotion!

On the website (Ireland or UK ones, anyway) when you choose a particular itinerary, it'll have a notification advising that there are special rates:

MSC change the promotions constantly - until recently, I thought that 'Early Booking' was only available for cruises at least six months out. At the moment, EB is running on my upcoming cruise in September so it seems it's at the whim of MSC!

From what I've managed to garner as an avid 'watcher' of pricings, the promotions have automatic calculations built-in so the prices adjust according to the input on the website. Some promotions are even better value than the Early Booking rate which allows the voucher to be used. The OBC can end up being of less value than a more discounted price on another promotion!

I've seen pronto prices (early booking) running from launch of the cruise right up until a short time before. There are a lot of quirks in the website and sometimes if something is not selling so well, it stays on longer. There is definitely no obvious science or rules to it for sure!

Thank you in advance!

Ali

Hi Juneau. We have been in 15028, a large square cabin, four times now. The bathroom is identical to the bathrooms in the regular YC cabins. As a matter of fact, the bathroom in the Sophia Loren suite is also the same size as a regular or a square cabin. Kinda stinks that it's not bigger but it is what it is!

Edited by kathiean

After a lengthy discussion with MSC....

They admitted they could not see any logic in excluding YC2 & YC3 cabins from the onboard credit.

Everyone passed the buck & said no could figure out who would authorize such a stupid decision

So.....................I have booked my YC2 cabin for next March WITH my $400. onboard credit in exchange for my $10. coupon !

As far as early booking rates, which are supposed to qualify for the coupon...I have never seen any.

We have usually traveled in February or March & then when I get home, I book for the next February or March.

They say that qualifies as an early booking because it is so far out.

OF COURSE I WILL BUY ANOTHER $10. COUPON ON OUR NEXT TRIP !

After a lengthy discussion with MSC....

They admitted they could not see any logic in excluding YC2 & YC3 cabins from the onboard credit.

Everyone passed the buck & said no could figure out who would authorize such a stupid decision

So.....................I have booked my YC2 cabin for next March WITH my $400. onboard credit in exchange for my $10. coupon !

As far as early booking rates, which are supposed to qualify for the coupon...I have never seen any.

We have usually traveled in February or March & then when I get home, I book for the next February or March.

They say that qualifies as an early booking because it is so far out.

OF COURSE I WILL BUY ANOTHER $10. COUPON ON OUR NEXT TRIP !

Haha. Excellent. All the power to you for taking the time to call them and keep at it. That's the responsible consumer thing to do :)