Am I over zealous

paradiseisaprincessaway

Ok folks! Cruising solo to Alaska. Grand southbound may 16. I have chosen to do 2 excursions per day to really see as much as I possibly can as it will probably be a long time before I return up north.

Skagway photography tour & train trip

Juneau dog sledding on the mendenhall glacier & gold panning and Alaskan salmon bake

Ketchikan wilderness exploration cruise and crab feast & misty fjords by sea plane

Now with an itenary like this it leaves very little time for port exploration. Which is ok with me as I'm not a huge shopper.

But am I going to miss out by not exploring the port. I chose these excursions based on times and experience and they Are all things I have never done before.

What are your seasoned thoughts fellow Alaskan cruisers????

Some thoughts...

• I too believe in sightseeing marathon's to maximize value when travelling.
  • No whale watching in Juneau? It's real kewl to see those giant creatures next to you (OK near you).
  • many excursions end a few hours before your ship departs. This ensures you don't "miss the boat". Those extra hours gives you time to explore the port WITHOUT the crowds
    • Skagway.... walk the town and check out the Red Onion.
    • Juneau.... Tracy Crab's to load up on crab legs. Mount Roberts tram? Pay attention to where your boat docks.
    • Ketchikan.... time in the souvenior shops...

[*]are you early or late dining? check the evening show schedule.... if it's not interesting to you... you can return to the ship later.

[*]if you attend the ship's shopping lectures.... you can spend those hours collecting our Diamond International charms in the ports.

[*]Hmm.... ship ends in Vancouver.... hope you have extra days there planned at this bonus port for attractions and restaurants. If you are near the airport suburbs.... it's like a free ticket to the Orient.

[YOUTUBE]txO8VK4LaLQ[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

I think that you are way over planning. I like to have the time to wander around any place that I visit. Yes, I do take tours although almost never ship tours. However, I also like my free time. However, this is just me and different folks feel differently. Whatever suits your travel style.

DON

I am going to Alaska in May:).....I have been 3 previous times but it

has been 6 years since my last cruise there.......I am really excited:D

I am looking at your 2 choices in every port and for me? I am tired

trying to fit it all in;).....but if you are happy with doing all that then

go for it. I prefer doing one excursion in each place....I am not a

huge shopper either but would still prefer not having to rush and

walking around on my own is enjoyable to me.

One tour.....make sure you are back and everything is on time.....next

tour......etc.....just seems to me you will be on the go...go...go......

Your question was are you being over zelaous.....in my opinion, yes.

Oh, I have been sailing solo for many years and love it:)....hope you

have fun:D

Ok folks! Cruising solo to Alaska. Grand southbound may 16. I have chosen to do 2 excursions per day to really see as much as I possibly can as it will probably be a long time before I return up north.

Juneau dog sledding on the mendenhall glacier & gold panning and Alaskan salmon bake

Ketchikan wilderness exploration cruise and crab feast & misty fjords by sea plane

Now with an itenary like this it leaves very little time for port exploration. Which is ok with me as I'm not a huge shopper.

But am I going to miss out by not exploring the port. I chose these excursions based on times and experience and they Are all things I have never done before.

When I first read your plans, I was exhausted just thinking about it ;) but none of them involve much physical activity, so that's a plus ;)

Personally I think you are overscheduled but that is only my opinion.

What will you miss in each port, outside of shopping? Here are a few things that come to mind:

Ketchikan -- totem poles, tons and tons of totem poles, Saxman Village or Totem Bight, or the totem poles that are scattered around town, or the reclaimed totems at the Totem Heritage Center.

Juneau -- hanging out in a dive bar for an hour, chatting with locals :D (I'm a bit twisted.....)

Skagway -- lots of walkable trails, once you get out of the main part of town. The hardware store, which is an old-timey hardware/general store that caters to the locals, not the tourists. I love that place -- it is a trip back in time for me :D The NPS does scheduled guided tours of Skagway, too.

I can go to Alaska and never set foot in a store, and still manage to fill my time. As I mentioned above, though, I'm a bit twisted. :D

But it is your trip. You have to do what you want to do.

Are these all ship tours? One tour, that may not be a "best" selection may be Skagway?

I'm assuming you also have long port times, which is no issue for 2 tours. I pack my days with activities and sightseeing. I don't need wasted down time, and it appears you don't either.

Enjoy your trip- it is paradise. :) No matter what you choose- of course, you are "missing" plenty more. Time is finite, fill it how you wish. :)

An added suggestion- would be to go on a PWS boat tour in Whittier. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

I am not a shopper either but found very quickly beyond the museums the stores themselves all started to blur together, you won't miss much and be far richer with good memories from pictures that last a lifetime :D

Having done the train ride, while fun it got old pretty quick as the good sights are far and few and I found the ride looong.

The helicopter/glacier - dog sledding is spectacular but be warned that it can be often canceled and could throw your day into dissarray so schedule it accordingly that you have a backup plan if clouds/fog prevent cancel or change the helicopter excursion.

On most of the flight / helicopter weight is carefully monitored so no backpacks so be ready to carry your camera directly on your body.

Thank you all for your time to respond. There are a few suggestions that I think I will indulge in :). We have very long port times which is wonderful but traveling solo I'd rather fill my days!!! If I had a friend with me I would spend more time exploring the ports and visiting jn local pubs with the locals :).

I love the go go go mentality of somewhere new. I love to run around. And see all the things I want to see!!! I can rest when I'm back on board!! There are 3 sea days on this trip (2 of which are scenic cruising) and the last day aboard is a sea day. I have no problem with sleeping till dinner time to recover from the whirlwind of the previous three days!!!

Thanks again everyone for your input. I really appreciate you folks taking the time out of your day to offer input and advise!!!