USB Port on Royal/Regal TV's

arrice2

I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't find it. I've got movies saved to a flash drive. Do the TV's have USB ports and the capability to play the movies on Royal/Regal?

Screen are beautiful. I didn't see a usb port. I had to have staff come in to reboot the screens three times. The screens seem Kind of flaky.

Crew have remotes with more options than the ones the leave in the cabins.

Edited by Itasca
Correct spelling, usb had become sub, spell checker.

We sailed on the Royal Princess in October 2013. The TV in our room was a Viewsonic VT4236LED, which is a 42 inch commercial TV now discontinued. Here is a link to the User's Guide .

http://www1.viewsonic.com/assets/132/25239.pdf

It does have a USB port, but I doubt you could use it as the inputs are locked out. You can't change inputs on the front of the TV and the remote does not have an input/source button. We brought a Mini-iPad and Nexus 7 with HDMI adapters and HDMI cable. Since I couldn't select the unused inputs, I unplugged the ship's HDMI cable and plugged mine in which worked fine. We watched several movies and videos I had brought.

As I recall, the supplied remote is very basic. Pretty much just volume and channel control. I don't know if a universal remote already set up to this TV or a similar model would work.

Hope this helps.

Edited by billco

We sailed on the Royal Princess in October 2013. The TV in our room was a Viewsonic VT4236LED, which is a 42 inch commercial TV now discontinued. Here is a link to the User's Guide .

http://www1.viewsonic.com/assets/132/25239.pdf

It does have a USB port, but I doubt you could use it as the inputs are locked out. You can't change inputs on the front of the TV and the remote does not have an input/source button. We brought a Mini-iPad and Nexus 7 with HDMI adapters and HDMI cable. Since I couldn't select the unused inputs, I unplugged the ship's HDMI cable and plugged mine in which worked fine. We watched several movies and videos I had brought.

As I recall, the supplied remote is very basic. Pretty much just volume and channel control. I don't know if a universal remote already set up to this TV or a similar model would work.

Hope this helps.

TV's nowadays are pretty much discontinued every 6 months. The technology is moving pretty fast. :(

Our Regal TV was a Samsung. :)

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Not all the TV's on the Royal are the Viewsonic as billco posted. If you do luck out & get a cabin with one, you still can't change the HDMI input but it's easy to disconnect their input & connect your own HDMI cable into their input.

It's tight but it can be done without to much difficulty. The crew doesn't have the ability to switch inputs either. They mostly have the Viewsonic TV's and disconnect the HDMI input as well to view their own movies.

The other TV's that I encountered are the Samsung (model ?) and it seems to be fed right into the TV by a Cat 5 Ethernet cable that I found next to impossible to disconnect at the TV input end BUT the end of the cable where it exits the wall (on top) can be easily disconnected and if you have a female to female connector you can connect to the end of their cable. There is no other accessible HDMI input that can be seen & you can't switch in input anyway since there locked off.

I still don't know for sure if that arrangement will work or not but I'm going to give it a try next cruise. My media player does have a cat 5 output.

What are you going to use to connect the flash drive to the TV? Laptop? Ipad? Iphone? Media Player? DVD Player.

bwt- there are no accessible USB inputs that I could see.

TV's nowadays are pretty much discontinued every 6 months. The technology is moving pretty fast. :(

Our Regal TV was a Samsung. :)

Technology moves fast, not so quickly Princess policy. So I bet USB is still not an option, inputs are locked out, and the remote is still a basic. My recommendation would be to bring something capable of playing over HDMI. Edited by billco

I'm sure this has been covered, but I can't find it. I've got movies saved to a flash drive. Do the TV's have USB ports and the capability to play the movies on Royal/Regal?

On the Royal and Regal you have a selection of over 100 (no charge) on-demand movies. You can start them at any time. Can stop at any time and resume at any time.

You may find you do not to bring any movies of your own to watch.

I have no idea if this will work on these TVs, but we've been on some ships before where their system that locks the normal INPUT selection allows it via unadvertised channel number (like channel 00 or 01). But you have to enter the channel number manually (not just channel UP/DOWN). We were on a river cruise one time where channel 42 worked to switch to a secondary HDMI input. Just manually try every 2-digit channel number just in case.

Edited by dbsb3233

990104%20041%2001.04.15%20ViewSonic%20TV%20remote%20DSC05422_zpsmodmxfpx.jpg

I have no idea if this will work on these TVs, but we've been on some ships before where their system that locks the normal INPUT selection allows it via unadvertised channel number (like channel 00 or 01). But you have to enter the channel number manually (not just channel UP/DOWN). Just manually try every 2-digit channel number just in case.

As you can see on the remote pictured above, there is no way to enter in any channel number.

There are no channel numbers. You move the cursor on the TV screen to select what you want to see and then press enter.

Edited by caribill

• 2 weeks later...

I also use usb sticks for my movies

If you have iPad or iPhone I use an app called movie player that I can add my movies to my devices if the TVs don't have USB ports so I have the movies I wish to watch

The app is a few $$$ but well worth it in my opinion

Hope this helps

image.jpg.f7d71da6cc56a0e03a92ea05f404b097.jpg

Edited by Govantrueblue

On a somewhat related note, has anyone tried to use a Chromecast dongle on a Princess ship? If the ship's HDMI input is available to be unplugged for connection to a personal device, I would imagine a Chromecast HDMI unit would work. Obviously, at this point it would only be possible on a small number of ships, but hopefully Princess is improving the TV situation fleet-wide

For us, who travel with a Tablet stuffed with lots of movies, it would make wireless viewing of personal content quite easy, and would also make reviewing of photos much easier. I'd much rather have the small wireless dongle than have to run an HDMI cable....