Anniversary Sale - "up to us" shore excursion credit

DaveOKC

When I read about the promo I immediately looked up a cruise I was keen on booking anyway - prices hadn't changed and were good because it was one of those cruises that don't seem to sell well ( Baltics - June).

I booked this cruise but got an e-mail from my TA two hours later that Holland America doesn't want to honor this special in my case because the contingent for the sale was already "sold out". Really??? One day into the sale and not a single balcony cabin for this cruise out of the many I saw still open for booking taken?? I simply can't believe that.

I wrote back , insisting that the honor the deal even if I know I can't force them . Maybe they simply forgot to raise the prices first ? All the OBC they offered will go back to the cruise line anyway and it's an incentive for us to try out shore excursions - we normally tend to book private tours.

It will be interesting to hear if something similar happened to others who tried to book the promo.

Because this promo includes specialty dining at two or three restaurants (depending on the ship) it has to be tightly controlled from an inventory standpoint -- i.e. when all of the Pinnacle Grill, Canaletto and Tamarind promotional slots are filled, the promo gets closed on a particular sailing.

June Baltic sailings were also on Explore4 last fall, so while the sailing may not be sold out, the # of promotional slots for the Pinnacle Grill specialty restaurant may be.

Am looking at several cruises this year. The price has gone up between $200 and $500 to take advantage of the anniversary sale. Its a wash as far as I'm concerned. You get the value added package by paying a higher price. I guess business must be good for HAL.

Am looking at several cruises this year. The price has gone up between $200 and $500 to take advantage of the anniversary sale. Its a wash as far as I'm concerned. You get the value added package by paying a higher price. I guess business must be good for HAL.

I think you are right: business must be good.

With oil prices so low, HAL's cost are down, their profit points are different so they do not need to push good sales to fill the ships.

When I read about the promo I immediately looked up a cruise I was keen on booking anyway - prices hadn't changed and were good because it was one of those cruises that don't seem to sell well ( Baltics - June).

I booked this cruise but got an e-mail from my TA two hours later that Holland America doesn't want to honor this special in my case because the contingent for the sale was already "sold out". Really??? One day into the sale and not a single balcony cabin for this cruise out of the many I saw still open for booking taken?? I simply can't believe that.

I wrote back , insisting that the honor the deal even if I know I can't force them . Maybe they simply forgot to raise the prices first ? All the OBC they offered will go back to the cruise line anyway and it's an incentive for us to try out shore excursions - we normally tend to book private tours.

It will be interesting to hear if something similar happened to others who tried to book the promo.

I just wanted to give a first update on the problem I'm having with the Anniversary Sale promo:

It obviously was a mix-up between a more current list handed out in the US and a previous one still being used in the European office as well as with our travel agency. On the one the cruise was listed, on the other it wasn't. Still strange. Now headquarters at Seattle are supposed to decide whether they'll give me the promo for the cruise .Haven't heard from them, yet. As it's neither my fault nor the travel agency's or the European HAL's office fault, I'm still hopeful they'll honor the deal which would help a lot to make us loyal customers of Holland America after having sailed with other lines mostly before our first cruise with HAL in March.

We had previously booked two cabins, one a suite and one a balcony.

I just called the TA and for $200 (total) increase in the balcony, we got a $400 cabin credit (good for anything)

The suite adds $400 to the price and gets an $800 cabin credit, plus $50 per person beverage card, plus 100 mins internet package plus $50 dine around.

Combined with our Costco credits ($330 for balcony and $465 for suite) I could not be happier!

Nancy

• 3 weeks later...

I brought this thread back to the top because I am the one that mentioned about HAL raising the price of the cruise after the anniversary sale. I looked at the HAL website yesterday and they have lowered the price for that cruise (and particular cabin) back to the original price at the time of the sale. Thought it would only be right to tell you. Those of you who booked with this sale need to watch to see if your price went down also.

Happy sailing and thanks to all those who help!!

I brought this thread back to the top because I am the one that mentioned about HAL raising the price of the cruise after the anniversary sale. I looked at the HAL website yesterday and they have lowered the price for that cruise (and particular cabin) back to the original price at the time of the sale. Thought it would only be right to tell you. Those of you who booked with this sale need to watch to see if your price went down also.

Thanks for the "heads up". I will double check mine.

Dave

You're out of luck and needn't watch prices if you live outside the US because quite often I can read on this forum that it's possible to get OBC after final payment, price drops are honored or one can re-book and keep the promotional perks etc.

It seems to be different in European countries: I booked a cruise with the new promotion (400 $ OBC plus dining package). When a few days after booking the prices fell for that cruise I asked if the price could be adjusted. The answer was both yes and no - we would have been able to get that better price but would have lost the promo.

But it's the same game with other cruise lines - As you'll lose your deposit here when you cancel and re-book a cruise it makes no economic sense for the cruise line to offer you a better deal and let you keep promotional extras.

Hi, my daughter and I both got the promotion of US$200 each for shore excursions. As my daughter is 11 years old, her shore excursions are cheaper than an adult. Can we combine the two amounts to purchase shore excursions up to a value of US$400 or do we each have our own 200 dollars.