FOOD - Live from the Mariner - April 2 - 20

Wendy:

I believe the motto is, "It's all included unless you want the good stuff."

When they became all inclusive, that became the motto. They raised the prices to include it all - and took all the premium out. The included tours are are basic bus tours and if you want a small van tour the cost has gone up so high.:eek: Even people who enjoy luxury don't want to feel taken.

Too bad.

Just a few updates this morning. I want to congratulate Franck Galzy for winning Iron Chef yesterday. He is on a winning streak. He sent me an email that I will forward to computerworks so he can post the photo of Franck. It is not often when you see the G.M. dressed in this way.

A couple of days ago tallship commented on the fact that serving utensils are being laid on top of the food rather than on plates (as they were previously). While she was an issue, I did not -- at least not until I caught a cold from one of the many people walking around coughing. Actually, yesterday morning I saw tongs laid on top of doughnuts. The handle of the tongs was sitting on a doughnut. Obviously, having a handle that has been touched by many hands sitting on the food is not good. This doesn't happen with hot food but it should not happen at all. This is something that Regent needs to look into.

Another way to spread germs is by going into the computer room and not wiping the keys and mouse with a disinfectant (available in the computer room). Nine out of ten people that walk in here do not do this.

I have little to say regarding the wine issue that has been brought up. I did not find the wine any better or worse prior to Regent going all-inclusive. To me, wine is either drinkable and enjoyable or it is not. Yesterday, we preferred a $180 bottle of wine of the $300 bottle. And, Wendy, I do remember all of the free wine tastings but do not recall them pouring Dom Perignon or the level of the wines we had yesterday. While they do set up a wine tasting of their included wines, it was better in the old days.

Speaking of spirits, Regent has continued to raise the level of spirits carried in the bar. There was a time that there was not one tequila that we would drink. Now they have Patron Repasado and Don Julio Anejo (either one of these would cost $50 in the state of Washington).

At noon we are going on a wine tasting excursion. Hopefully it will be interesting. As usual, with too many people signing up for included excursions, they had to add an additional time for passengers to take the tour. I did want to mention that 26 buses were used for excursions at our last port. I suspect it is close to that number at every port.

The crew is very happy to be back in Europe (as are we). They will finally be able to get fresh fruit and veggies (we have been without lemons for days -- the "green round things" provided in Brazil are really limes but they call them lemons. The quality of cucumbers and tomatoes is also fair to poor.

More tonight!

Just a few updates this morning. I want to congratulate Franck Galzy for winning Iron Chef yesterday. He is on a winning streak. He sent me an email that I will forward to computerworks so he can post the photo of Franck. It is not often when you see the G.M. dressed in this way.

DSCF4011.jpg

Yesterday or the day before Jackie wrote -

<<<Everything on Oceania is "measured" very precisely. You probably read about my $120 drink on Oceania but I will repeat it as it is funny as well as "telling". On Oceania you are charged for each alcohol in the drink as well as whether or not it is "premium" (premium alcohols are included in the Premium Wine package). Because I was told that a Long Island Iced Tea had 1/2 ounce of each alcohol (4 alcohols), I made the mistake of ordering a double from a bartender that was fairly clueless. I also "called" the names of the alcohol. Instead of pouring the correct way (for Oceania), she poured 2 shots of each alcohol and added the price for premium (note: I saw the dollar amount she rang up but we obviously would not have to pay for it as we had the package). It came to $120. >>>

After reading your post (excerpted above) Jackie I decided to do some research - so completely out of character Ken and I went for a pre dinner drink at Martinis. I saw the "Long Island Ice Tea" on the cocktail menu... priced at $10.50+ 18 1/2% service. So not $120 which I am sure you will be happy to hear.

We also opted for a classic martini to see what size they poured. Well - I saw something I have never seen in my life before!! An entire shaker arrived for each of us. Our drinks were poured (and very good they were too). The shaker was left next to the glass. Then once we got somewhere near the bottom of the glass a barman materialised and poured the rest of the drink into the glass. So we really had two drinks instead of one. Then the Head Barman arrived to ask how it was. (He and I had been chatting earlier in the cruise about the lack of Apérol on board - no Apérol Spritz which is a favourite of mine...) I said that I was quite surprised to have such a large martini AND to have the shaker left so I could have more. He said that during "Happy Hour" people are served roughly half of what we had just drunk but after Happy Hour was over (1800 I think) drinks revert to being large pours. That makes sense as the Happy Hour drinks are only about $5 each.

I have to add that I really LOVE the Regent Tex-Mex BBQ and miss that here on Oceania. Wish we had had one on this crossing - but conditions outside really wouldn't have permitted it anyway I suppose. Too much wind all through the crossing - including today.

Jackie - you said something about "Signatures is disappearing" - I hadn't heard that? Can you elaborate?? I have always liked Signatures a lot - both when it was Cordon Bleu and in its present incarnation.

... And, Wendy, I do remember all of the free wine tastings but do not recall them pouring Dom Perignon or the level of the wines we had yesterday. While they do set up a wine tasting of their included wines, it was better in the old days.

Well, this was on a Spotlight cruise, on Wine and Food. Anybody remember the Spotlight cruises? Loved them. We had amazing events on that trip, in 2006. We had one champagne tasting, which included very top-drawer stuff--can't remember which company it was, but all great stuff, and the wine too.

We also opted for a classic martini to see what size they poured. Well - I saw something I have never seen in my life before!! An entire shaker arrived for each of us. Our drinks were poured (and very good they were too). The shaker was left next to the glass. Then once we got somewhere near the bottom of the glass a barman materialised and poured the rest of the drink into the glass. So we really had two drinks instead of one. ...

You don't think this largesse was influenced by the fact that you have a Premium drinks package? I believe it's been suggested elsewhere on these boards that this is the case--you get a larger pour if you have the package, because they'd rather serve you less often. We certainly experienced generous cocktail sizes on our Oceania trip, with the Premium package.

I did 3 Spotlight on Food and Wine cruises. One of them was a segment of the World Cruise and there were multiple California winery reps on board and some chefs from Santa Barbara. We also had a local radio show host (gourmet cooking food show) with her own group on board.

The wine tastings used to always be included - even with premium pours. On our last Oceania cruise it was an Amex Benefit but there were additional wine tastings that were $100 pp. I can go to a wine dinner with winery hosted pairings at home at a high end restaurant for a little more than that with 5 star food.

Hmm. I remember the day, more than ten years ago, when a wine tasting similar to this (without lunch) would have been free. First come, first served, not everyone got to do it. But then you probably got full glasses of all those wines if you wished, right?

Not exactly sure what you are referring to. I do remember the "spotlight cruises" (the good old days) but did not do one. We did several wine tastings in Compass Rose but there was not a limit to how many could attend. We were on a couple of cruises where the winemakers were on board. I wonder if they supplied their wines in order to get publicity and they did not pay for their suite. (Or, Regent paid for the wines and they paid for their suite). It would seem that the former would have been the best deal for the winemaker.

In terms of Oceania and their pours, we had the premium alcohol package but still had to order doubles in order to have a drink that would equal what we get at home. We have not experienced martinis on Oceania where receive the shaker along with your drink. This is something that we have seen at home and dislike because the shaker generally still has ice cubes in it - thus watering down the drinks. One of the reasons for ordering a martini is to sip it slowly and not worry about it becoming watery. One reason we did not see this may be because we found "Martini's" lounge to be an overcrowded mess during Happy Hour (My DH calls it a "pig swill").

The drinks on Regent during this cruise have been excellent. No need to even think about how strong you would like it -- unless you want it poured lightly or very heavy.

Yesterday or the day before Jackie wrote -

<<<Everything on Oceania is "measured" very precisely. You probably read about my $120 drink on Oceania but I will repeat it as it is funny as well as "telling". On Oceania you are charged for each alcohol in the drink as well as whether or not it is "premium" (premium alcohols are included in the Premium Wine package). Because I was told that a Long Island Iced Tea had 1/2 ounce of each alcohol (4 alcohols), I made the mistake of ordering a double from a bartender that was fairly clueless. I also "called" the names of the alcohol. Instead of pouring the correct way (for Oceania), she poured 2 shots of each alcohol and added the price for premium (note: I saw the dollar amount she rang up but we obviously would not have to pay for it as we had the package). It came to $120. >>>

After reading your post (excerpted above) Jackie I decided to do some research - so completely out of character Ken and I went for a pre dinner drink at Martinis. I saw the "Long Island Ice Tea" on the cocktail menu... priced at $10.50+ 18 1/2% service. So not $120 which I am sure you will be happy to hear.

We also opted for a classic martini to see what size they poured. Well - I saw something I have never seen in my life before!! An entire shaker arrived for each of us. Our drinks were poured (and very good they were too). The shaker was left next to the glass. Then once we got somewhere near the bottom of the glass a barman materialised and poured the rest of the drink into the glass. So we really had two drinks instead of one. Then the Head Barman arrived to ask how it was. (He and I had been chatting earlier in the cruise about the lack of Apérol on board - no Apérol Spritz which is a favourite of mine...) I said that I was quite surprised to have such a large martini AND to have the shaker left so I could have more. He said that during "Happy Hour" people are served roughly half of what we had just drunk but after Happy Hour was over (1800 I think) drinks revert to being large pours. That makes sense as the Happy Hour drinks are only about $5 each.

I have to add that I really LOVE the Regent Tex-Mex BBQ and miss that here on Oceania. Wish we had had one on this crossing - but conditions outside really wouldn't have permitted it anyway I suppose. Too much wind all through the crossing - including today.

Jackie - you said something about "Signatures is disappearing" - I hadn't heard that? Can you elaborate?? I have always liked Signatures a lot - both when it was Cordon Bleu and in its present incarnation.

Very interesting and "telling" post. Very happy that you did not have a $120 Long Island Iced Tea:D

The fact that you "LOVE" the Regent Tex-Mex BBQ and we do not care for it shows the difference in our tastes. Being from an area of the U.S. where Mexican food is very authentic, what is served on Regent does not come close. When we moved to Washington state, we were unpleasantly surprised at what passed for Mexican food there. Fortunately, some authentic Mexican "food trucks" have moved into our area. While I never thought we would find a food truck preferable to Regent, we definitely do in this case.

Regent put an email out a month or so ago advising passengers that the new French restaurant will be named "Chartreuse" and will have a different menu than Signatures. Another restaurant will be announced in June. It is being discussed on board but I don't think it is a good idea to talk about it on Cruise Critic.

Although I prefer to avoid detail and concentrate on the big picture, I can't help but point out that four of us dining tonight at signatures (Tuna, Scallops, Duck, and Beef) each came to the conclusion that it was one of the best meals of each of our lives. The spectacular day at Lanzarote, and the wonderful staff of Regent, and the great look and feel of the Mariner probably helped us to those conclusions.

Our excursion in Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain today was perfection. Just like the good old days. The island is amazing -- very volcanic -- not a lot of people or traffic - very calm and relaxing. It was great that the excursion was sold out and Regent added another one with only 14 guests and 1 crew member from the ship (plus the tour guide). Instead of having to meet in the dreaded theater, we simply walked off of the ship - gave our tickets to the guide and walked on to the bus. We went to three wineries. While we are not a lover of Spanish wines, it was nice to taste them and to learn how they are grown in lava. Lanzarote (probably misspelled) gets very little rain. However, the humidity at night is picked up by the lava and irrigates the plants. No additional irrigation is needed.

Gerry and I talked a bit about the Seven Seas Aft Suite. I want to make one negative comment about it. As mentioned previously, every piece of furniture has been replaced. It looks lovely -- even the closet is different. However, the suite is lacking in drawers. This is a large suite with only 5 small (really small) drawers in the closet. The drawers are not sufficient and I hope that this is not what is going to be in the Explorer. If the Seven Seas suites lack drawers, I can only imagine what regular suites will look like. Very concerning!

Tonight we dined in Sette Mari and I must say that it is the best meal we have had in this dining venue. This is also a good time to mention that the F&B Dir., Donald, the Executive Chef, Kelly and the Dining Room Mgr., Gami show up in every restaurant and check on just about every table to make sure that the food meets your expectations. So, there is really no reason to have a bad meal (unless you don't tell someone that you do not care for it.) I am pointing a finger at myself here because I did not tell anyone how bad our Prime 7 meal was.

I took photographs of the antipasti and dessert buffet and of my meal (Veal Scalloppini-- misspelled). My DH had Osso Bucco which I photographed a couple of days ago. I'll send this this to computerworks this evening (hopefully).

computerworks - thank you once again for the marvelous job you are doing at posting pictures. I have no idea how you got Franck's photo posted. I had difficulty even sending it to you.

Enough babbling.

Edited by Travelcat2

Computerworks, you neve cease to amaze me.

I was going to say that I could have taken more pictures but feel that the antipasto photos alone show the many options of Setti Mari vs. Toscana on Oceania (although Toscana is quite good)

Computerworks, you never cease to amaze me.

:o aw, shucks...tnx

I was going to say that I could have taken more pictures but feel that the antipasto photos alone show the many options of Setti Mari vs. Toscana on Oceania (although Toscana is quite good)

They all look amazingly good. Excellent.

I could virtually taste the scalloppini. :cool:

These food pics look yummy!

Travelcat, you and I are in complete agreement about the Mexican food on regent. It is horrid. Personally I would be ashamed to serve it. They would do better to stick to cuisines they do well.

These food pics look yummy!

Travelcat, you and I are in complete agreement about the Mexican food on regent. It is horrid. Personally I would be ashamed to serve it. They would do better to stick to cuisines they do well.

Now I do not know much (if anything) about Mexican - or any other latin American food for that matter. However I seem to have read that there is a difference between "Mexican" food and "Tex Mex" food. Does this explain the fact that you two ladies do not care for the Regent offerings? Because Regent always calls its buffet "Tex Mex" ?? I haven't a clue but I do know that I LOVE those buffets and the food served. But, as I said, I am "ignorant" in this area. French, Italian, Indian, English, Scottish cuisine I know very well. But not Mexican.

Now I do not know much (if anything) about Mexican - or any other latin American food for that matter. However I seem to have read that there is a difference between "Mexican" food and "Tex Mex" food. Does this explain the fact that you two ladies do not care for the Regent offerings? Because Regent always calls its buffet "Tex Mex" ?? I haven't a clue but I do know that I LOVE those buffets and the food served. But, as I said, I am "ignorant" in this area. French, Italian, Indian, English, Scottish cuisine I know very well. But not Mexican.

Hi Gerri - my only point was that people are used to having food prepared a certain way. It is possible that the the French food, steaks, BBQ'd food that we are used to would not be to your taste. IMO, this is no different than saying that, based on our experience and tastes, the food in the Terrace Cafe on Oceania is lacking (also many items in their Asian Fusion dining venue, Red Ginger.) In terms of Tex Mex, Texas and other states that border on Mexico do an amazing job of preparing Tex Mex (although we still prefer just "Mexican"). We find the Italian food better in the U.S. than in Italy which is an indication of how our tastes are very far off from authentic Italian. We did have lasagne in Rome and Tuscany last year that was delicious but very different than how it is prepared in the U.S. Guess when people say that food is subjective - it truly is. (P.S. - the wonderful Chef Kelly is from Canada which IMO, is why he prepares Tex Mex food in a way that tallship would appreciate. Just the ingredients used in the Chile Con Carne and other dish (forget the name) that we have never seen in these dishes -- such as red bell peppers, corn, etc.)

No photos today -- need a break. computerworks, loved your Lanzarote photos. Wish we had been able to see some of the sites that you photographed. Today we are in Santa Cruz de Terife -- cancelled out walking tour and tapas and just walked around the city. It is a great walking city with lots of lovely restaurants and shops.

There has been a major development in our future cruises. My DH doesn not want to stay in an SS Aft suite again. When the ship coasts along at lower speeds there is a sound/vibration that drives him "nuts". He would rather not cruise than put up with it again (note: I barely notice it). Anyway, I am changing our Alaska cruise to a different suite and may have to cancel Cape Town to Cape Town (hope not -- may be able to talk him into keeping but -- 50/50 chance).

Tomorrow is a sea day and I hope to take photos of Tea Time!

Our excursion in Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain today was perfection. Just like the good old days. The island is amazing -- very volcanic -- not a lot of people or traffic - very calm and relaxing. It was great that the excursion was sold out and Regent added another one with only 14 guests and 1 crew member from the ship (plus the tour guide). Instead of having to meet in the dreaded theater, we simply walked off of the ship - gave our tickets to the guide and walked on to the bus. We went to three wineries. While we are not a lover of Spanish wines, it was nice to taste them and to learn how they are grown in lava. Lanzarote (probably misspelled) gets very little rain. However, the humidity at night is picked up by the lava and irrigates the plants. No additional irrigation is needed.

Gerry and I talked a bit about the Seven Seas Aft Suite. I want to make one negative comment about it. As mentioned previously, every piece of furniture has been replaced. It looks lovely -- even the closet is different. However, the suite is lacking in drawers. This is a large suite with only 5 small (really small) drawers in the closet. The drawers are not sufficient and I hope that this is not what is going to be in the Explorer. If the Seven Seas suites lack drawers, I can only imagine what regular suites will look like. Very concerning!

Tonight we dined in Sette Mari and I must say that it is the best meal we have had in this dining venue. This is also a good time to mention that the F&B Dir., Donald, the Executive Chef, Kelly and the Dining Room Mgr., Gami show up in every restaurant and check on just about every table to make sure that the food meets your expectations. So, there is really no reason to have a bad meal (unless you don't tell someone that you do not care for it.) I am pointing a finger at myself here because I did not tell anyone how bad our Prime 7 meal was.

I took photographs of the antipasti and dessert buffet and of my meal (Veal Scalloppini-- misspelled). My DH had Osso Bucco which I photographed a couple of days ago. I'll send this this to computerworks this evening (hopefully).

computerworks - thank you once again for the marvelous job you are doing at posting pictures. I have no idea how you got Franck's photo posted. I had difficulty even sending it to you.

Enough babbling.

We are in an aft suite - from next Monday. First time on Regent. The lack of drawer space sounds a concern to me too! What about bed side tables and/or dressing table drawers - anything? If you could kindly advise/clarify that would assist greatly. Thanks.

Booked an SS1 on Explorer for Seot 2016, the initial pics suggest a decent amount of wardrobe/ hanging space so I hope there will be sufficient drawers included.

Very interesting and "telling" post. Very happy that you did not have a $120 Long Island Iced Tea:D

The fact that you "LOVE" the Regent Tex-Mex BBQ and we do not care for it shows the difference in our tastes. Being from an area of the U.S. where Mexican food is very authentic, what is served on Regent does not come close. When we moved to Washington state, we were unpleasantly surprised at what passed for Mexican food there. Fortunately, some authentic Mexican "food trucks" have moved into our area. While I never thought we would find a food truck preferable to Regent, we definitely do in this case.

Regent put an email out a month or so ago advising passengers that the new French restaurant will be named "Chartreuse" and will have a different menu than Signatures. Another restaurant will be announced in June. It is being discussed on board but I don't think it is a good idea to talk about it on Cruise Critic.

We are in an aft suite - from next Monday. First time on Regent. The lack of drawer space sounds a concern to me too! What about bed side tables and/or dressing table drawers - anything? If you could kindly advise/clarify that would assist greatly. Thanks.

Booked an SS1 on Explorer for Seot 2016, the initial pics suggest a decent amount of wardrobe/ hanging space so I hope there will be sufficient drawers included.

There are 2 drawers in the two bed side tables and a very narrow drawer in both the dressing table and desk. It is the closet shelves that used to be above where you hang clothes that is missing and the drawers inside of the closet that have shrunk. Will try to take pictures, but not today.

I agree - what we ended up doing was using the drawers in the sitting room near the dining table. They might not still be there since you say everything has been changed re furniture. But they supplemented the meagre drawers in the horrid walk through closet.

Ship architects are weird people. I heard from a friend who sails with Cunard that when the Victoria was launched there were NO drawers at all - they had to be retro-fitted later on. What a mess!

Edited by Hambagahle