Packing Cubes - can someone explain to me

I ordered some packing cubes for our cruise in April - can't wait for them to arrive so I can play with them! I'd never even heard of packing cubes before I read about them on here, but after watching Sonia's youtube videos and hearing you all talk about how much of a difference it has made to your packing, I'm thinking that they'll be so useful! My kids also do scouting, and I can see how they'd be great for hiking and camping too.

I would highly recommend Ikea for packing cubes (http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60235114/#/10235116) a four piece set for $10. If that works for you then maybe purchasing a slim cube (amazon brand store cheaper) or packing folder

I never thought I needed packing cubes... but yes! I love my Ikea packing cubes and they are so inexpensive. I bought two sets in different colors (pink and blue), one for DH and one for me - which also helps with cross packing. I love to use the smallest one for the little bits and pieces I always have (chargers etc.). We usually travel with hiking backpacks to have our hands free (DH has CP and can't carry suitcases up or down stairs or steps, especially not if they are heavy) and packing cubes are perfect for packing into a backpack.

We will eventually buy an additional set for this years cruise to use with out carry on / overnight bag.

Can anyone advise what to use for suits? Are the garment folders large enough for a sports coat?

We had the suit in our carry on last time but I would rather not do that again, especially due to an 8 kg weight limit for the carry on.

Can anyone advise what to use for suits? Are the garment folders large enough for a sports coat?

We had the suit in our carry on last time but I would rather not do that again, especially due to an 8 kg weight limit for the carry on.

how to pack a suit

http://magazine.brooksbrothers.com/how-to-pack-a-suit/

.............or could always place the sports coat on the bottom of a packing cube, wear it or forget about it altogether.

I had to take a couple of my suits with me on my work trip last June. First time I had to travel with work suits. I did the classic method taught to me by one of our Butlers: put the jacket at the bottom, with the arms and bottom hanging out of the suitcase. Put some tissue over it. Lay the pants across the jacket the opposite way, hanging out of the suitcase. Put some tissue over it. Pack the rest of the suitcase, which was to add in the cubes and folder pack. Fold the excess of the suit and pants over the top.

Edited by slidergirl

I traveled in & with suits for 30 years for business. The fold & drycleaning bags have served me well. The guys I worked with had me show them how to fold a suit so it wouldn't wrinkle. I traveled with carryon only in those days...