Rhine - water levels and similar topics 2015

notamermaid

They can't do anything about the river levels but the way they are handling this is very telling. They're getting lambasted on the Viking Facebook page.

And they deserve it. I would never book with Viking based on their customer service alone. And I don't like their boats either.

Of course - I finally am able to go on my dream river cruise' date=' and the rivers dry up. Ugh!!! (Viking Hlin 12/8/15 from Basel-AMS) Thank you for all of the updates, notamermaid. Back to my rain dances now![/quote']

You still have 4 weeks before your cruise.... a lot can change with river levels in 4 weeks. We leave 12/5 and I am doing the rain dance too. The are predicting at least 2 days of rain later this week around Koblenz, Rudesheim and Cologne, so we will hope that helps and that more rain is on the way!

We received an Urgent message from Viking last nite. Looks like there will be two ship swaps and last three notes in a hotel, not sure which one, in Budapest for a two week cruise. They also offered to cancel, but since we are already in Amsterdam not an option for us. Guess we will see.....

Tomorrow afternoon will see storm and showers in the Middle Rhine valley with heavy showers around Düsseldorf.

This might ease the situation a little for a day or two. Difficult to predict. Any rain North of Koblenz does not help the bottleneck "castle stretch", though.

Little fluctuation in the water level. Koblenz is at 51cm right now (11am).

notamermaid

The shrinking Rhine...:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/12/shrinking-rhine-shipping-scrapes-by-as-river-stays-at-lowest-level-for-40-years

As regards the increased danger of collisions mentioned in the article: one accident happened during the night from the 10th to the 11th near Oppenheim (some kilometres upstream from Mainz). Two freight ships collided, drifted off, one hitting a docked ferry and causing a tied-up boat belonging to the ferry owner to partially sink. Noone was hurt and the navigation channel is free. Damage in excess of 100.000 euros.

notamermaid

Hello rcaruso,

We received an Urgent message from Viking last nite. Looks like there will be two ship swaps and last three notes in a hotel, not sure which one, in Budapest for a two week cruise. They also offered to cancel, but since we are already in Amsterdam not an option for us. Guess we will see.....

This does sound like quite an adventure. As a previous poster has mentioned not getting out ouf Cologne, I wonder if it means you will swap on the Rhine and on the Danube. But you have already swapped to a different ship for the start of your journey. :confused:

Good of Viking to offer cancellation.

They certainly have got their work cut out organizing all those ships in the wrong places and the coaches.

As of 13.15 hours the Amacerto has made it through the Rhine gorge upstream and is past the Binger Mäuseturm, the Mouse Tower on the river island near Rüdesheim.

Beautiful sunshine.

notamermaid

Rain in Amsterdam probably won't help the Rhine, unless the levels get so low it runs backwards! ;) (I know that you know this; just an attempt to bring some humor into a tough situation)

Sounds dire, though. When we were in Oppenheim 2 months ago it wasn't that bad yet. The pictures of the toll house in the middle of the river are telling. Hope for lots of rain water in the south!

There have been posts that water levels on the Rhine in the Netherlands are dire and affecting cargo traffic. I do hope there is some relief in sight.

We leave next Friday for Europe and while sunshine sounds lovely, some rains would be welcome. We are on AMA and they have been sailing the Rhine without incident. But another inch or two would be helpful.

Edited by caviargal

Oh I understand, just commenting about what a great day we had without rain in a usually rainy part of the world! With all the uncertainty of the cruise need to make lemonade!

True. It was rainy during our one visit there. I hope you have a great trip, however it turns out.

There have been posts that water levels on the Rhine in the Netherlands are dire and affecting cargo traffic. I do hope there is some relief in sight.

We leave next Friday for Europe and while sunshine sounds lovely, some rains would be welcome. We are on AMA and they have been sailing the Rhine without incident. But another inch or two would be helpful.

Have a great trip, and good luck. May the river rise to meet you!

Edited by jpalbny

We swap today. Off our current ship in Cologne. A bus ride to Marksburg Castle and a very nice tour. Then a 4 minute bus ride to get to a day ship and cruise down the castle section of the Rhine. A nice trip with lunch on the day ship. The river was very low. Th day ship also had to go quite slow I'm sure to be safe. The last portion of the trip it was dark so we missed a castle or two, but that was made up with by a beautiful fully illuminated castle. Then an hour bus ride to Mainz were we got on our new Viking ship. I feel it was handled very well given the situation and we did not miss very much.So far a great experience with Viking

Hello G.M.T.,

read about the drinking water shortage in Bavaria. It is supposed to rain around Manchester almost all the time... perhaps we could take some rain off them. I have been there and can confirm it it is a wet part of the world. Any more desperate ideas are welcome for making lemonade. ;)

Actually seeing that the English wine is getting better and better with this supposed climate change, Bavaria probably will soon grow lemon trees by the hundreds. :eek:

I hope those rain clouds around Cologne this morning will sweep a little further South into the Middle Rhine Valley.

Temperatures are still reaching double digits (Celsius).

notamermaid

Notamermaid,

it's a brilliant day here in tropical Bavaria day, doing gardening in a T-Shirt.

I don't mind if there is a drinking water shortage, so long as the beer is not rationed.:D

According to the forecast we should expect some really heavy rain next Wednesday.

Edited by G.M.T.

Hello G.M.T.,

rationing of beer in Bavaria? Earlier this week you mentioned hell freezing over... :D

The Rhine water level at Koblenz is currently at 47cm (12.15pm).

It has cooled down a little but is still mild. Rain and storm are forecast for tonight.

notamermaid

Nota mermaid,

We are on the Eistla sailing toward Koblenz. We switch ships on Monday in Cologne, not sure which Viking ship yet. Everything has been lovely so far. Food and staff are great on the Eistla. We will see what Monday brings.

Hello rcaruso,

according to marinetraffic you are currently on the Waal (the Rhine in the Netherlands) still a distance from the German border. Hope you are able to enjoy Cologne tomorrow. And good to hear you are happy with the cruise so far.

Viking has updated the website with the upcoming changes of itineraries. Your ships are not mentioned.

Get the umbrella or raincoat ready, it is gonna rain in Cologne. :( and :) as we need the rain.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid

We are on GCT's River Harmony and just cruised from Speyer to Boppard this morning without difficulty. Then we continued to Koblenz and are now on the Mosel. We had good weather for the castle stretch, and light rain all afternoon. Hoping for heavier rain overnight.