New "Expanded" Room Service Menu

Cruise-Crazy

I'm not going to argue with anyone. As I said before...

My understanding is if you wish to order hot tea/coffee, danish, etc......

as was on the old menu, there will be no charge.

Time will tell who has a better understanding.

Harriet

No need to argue, but if you go into the (now huge I understand) original thread, there are posts by person's actually on the breakaway. In fact the thread was started by someone actually on the breakaway. And that person made clear that the $7.95 charge was for all orders. He also posted a menu which indicated the $7.95 charge was for all orders, and posted a copy of the daily indicating the $7.95 charge was for all orders. It's possible I guess that this person was lying and forging the dailies and menu I guess but that seems pretty unlikely.

Carnival has just announced an expanded room service menu, effective 10 days from now.

It does not have a delivery charge - for anything on it - at any time of day or night. Everything that was there for free before is still there for free.

There are some nice looking new choices that do have ala carte pricing.

This is how to introduce new room service options with a cost without infuriating your customers.

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/room-service-nosushi-menu-pdf.ashx

Edited by old sole

Carnival has just announced an expanded room service menu, effective 10 days from now.

It does not have a delivery charge - for anything on it. Everything that was there for free before is still there for free.

This is how to introduce new room service options with a cost without infuriating your customers.

http://www.carnival.com/~/media/CCLUS/Images/pdf/room-service-nosushi-menu-pdf.ashx

That is a brilliant move by Carnival if they are doing it to capitalize on NCL's missteps here and contrast how they are a much better company. I was wondering if another cruise line would attempt to do so and they have stepped up to the plate. Kudos to Carnival.

Apparently not. Take a look at the Carnival boards. There are already scores of posts about the multitude of items that previously were free and are now being replaced by items which have an al a carte charge.

Terry

I'm not going to argue with anyone. As I said before...

My understanding is if you wish to order hot tea/coffee, danish, etc......

as was on the old menu, there will be no charge.

Time will tell who has a better understanding.

Harriet

I didn't mean to make it appear I was arguing with you. I'm just trying to figure this all out. FWIW, we're okay with paying for RS, if that means we can get hot food delivered. If they'd add things like waffles, omelets, etc. we wouldn't have a problem paying $10 per order. I realize we're in the minority, but we're all for this change. It actually makes NCL more appealing to us. I'm more concerned the backlash will result in them staying with the old menu to keep it free. Regardless, I want to make sure I understand the details of the current test.

It does not have a delivery charge - for anything on it - at any time of day or night. Everything that was there for free before is still there for free.

I've been lurking on the Carnival boards and they say the number of free items has been effectively halved.

Apparently not. Take a look at the Carnival boards. There are already scores of posts about the multitude of items that previously were free and are now being replaced by items which have an al a carte charge.
I have never read the Carnival board but after spending 5 minutes looking at those threads, it is like a bizarro NCL board. If you switched the names around you would almost never know the difference… Although I think that people on the NCL board are "feistier"… :p

Obviously the best thing for passengers would be to keep some form of free room service (continental breakfast). Maybe NCL will decide to maintain that after this test (I doubt it). Or maybe they will set up coffee/tea/pastry stations around the ship in the morning so you wouldn't have to go all the way to the buffet for a simple breakfast to bring back to the room. Or maybe they will decide once and for all that they offer enough complimentary options for breakfast and if it's important to you to have it delivered to your room you should start paying for the convenience. Yes, I said "convenience".

Whatever they decide, I hope they announce it 10 days in advance before rolling it out fleetwide, because then no one will be able to complain about it, right?

Yes, but Carnival is still keeping a free menu which includes coffee and a continental breakfast. NCL would have been smarter to try something like that instead of making a convenience fee for everything on the menu.

Yes, but Carnival is still keeping a free menu which includes coffee and a continental breakfast. NCL would have been smarter to try something like that instead of making a convenience fee for everything on the menu.

Just a trial now, so who knows where we will all be a few weeks from now, could be a $20 charge for all orders or could be back to some free stuff and charges for some items.

Regardless, the lines are out to make money for the shareholders, and increasing charges along with cutting food waste both help add to the bottom line.

Terry

I see two threads, both have more "pro" than "con". Neither seems likely to have 60 pages of posts in the next 5 days.

P.S. I will miss the shrimp salad sandwich too. That's what a lot of the "con" posts are about. Maybe they'll bring it back. Even as a pay item would be ok with me.