Arranging car pick up at Civitavecchia

Sdt523

I have determined that the best way to ensure I make my 11:50 flight is to book a private transfer. I found lots of reviews for good companies and I am about ready to book...just one question. If the boat docks at 6:00, how do I know what time to schedule the car to pick me up? If it is a private transfer, will it just wait for me or will I need to tell it a specific time? Thanks for any help you can provide.

S

Rome in Limo seems to be the most recommended car service by CC folks.

When we were there we used the train, transferred at Trestevere in Rome for the train to the airport. Smooth going, and a lot less expensive, however our flight was for 1pm.

I have determined that the best way to ensure I make my 11:50 flight is to book a private transfer. I found lots of reviews for good companies and I am about ready to book...just one question. If the boat docks at 6:00, how do I know what time to schedule the car to pick me up? If it is a private transfer, will it just wait for me or will I need to tell it a specific time? Thanks for any help you can provide.

S

Well one never knows. We did this cruise and arrived at 6:00. Well, we arrived BUT it had been raining the night before so when they put down the ramp there was a huge pile of water. So they took up the ramp and moved the ship. They tried again. We were on the first group to be let off but it was closer to 7:00. We had hired RomeInLimo and our driver was there waiting for us just at the port exit. He grabbed our luggage and off we went. We were one of the first ones there. I think that was around the time our flight left as well. Check in took some time, we didn't take into account that once in the terminal we then took a bus to the tarmac and had to climb stairs up to the plane. This was important because we had carryon and personal items and were helping my 80 YO mother. Yikes. Fortunately we had two wonderful people look at us, judge my predicament, grab our carryons and take them on board for us. There was only about 20 minutes left to shop. Tight but not impossible.

We have done cruises in and out of Rome a number of times. If you are flying back to the USA an 11:50 am flight is cutting it very close. Most cruise lines do not recommend you book any flights before 11:30 am... We usually book a flight after 1pm, because we don't like to be rushed. If we can't get a flight later, we stay overnight at the Hilton at the airport.

Regardless, when we book a care service we book with Romecabs.com Excellent reliable service, you can book on line, pay on day of service in euros. We have used this service about 3 times, the last time was a year ago. About 130 euros each way, plus tip.

If you are on a flight back to the US, screening at the airport in Rome is extensive, you need to plan to have about 1-5 -- 2 hours once you arrive at the airport. Usually 3 levels of screening.

So if you have an 11:50 am flight you can figure it out, plan on 45 min to 1 hour drive time from the port to the airport.

Let the cruise line know you have arranged private transportation, tell them what time you need to be off the ship. Usually they will give you the time requested, if they don't, go to customer service the night before you get to port and request what you need.

The car service will wait for you to get off - we always give them a time we expect to get off, the time we will request on the ship.

Hope this info is helpful...

[quote name=pris993;46154243If you are on a flight back to the US' date=' screening at the airport in Rome is extensive, you need to plan to have about 1-5 -- 2 hours once you arrive at the airport. Usually 3 levels of screening.

So if you have an 11:50 am flight you can figure it out, plan on 45 min to 1 hour drive time from the port to the airport.

Let the cruise line know you have arranged private transportation, tell them what time you need to be off the ship. Usually they will give you the time requested, if they don't, go to customer service the night before you get to port and request what you need.

The car service will wait for you to get off - we always give them a time we expect to get off, the time we will request on the ship.

Hope this info is helpful...[/quote]

I guess I should add - all the stars were aligned with us. If we had been half an hour later I'm not so sure we would have made it.

Debarkation at Civitavecchia is a pretty straight forward process. The ship will be cleared within 20 minutes of getting the gang plank in place and then debarkation begins. There is no hassle with immigration or customs. So, if you have an 11:50 flight you want to be on your way from the port by no later than 8am which is not a problem if you use express debarkation and carry off your own luggage. You would just walk off the ship, to through the terminal tend/building and your driver should be waiting with a sign (with your name). If you want to allow the cruise line to take your luggage off you need to make sure you get one of the very departure color tags. Just go to Guest Relations a couple of days before the end of the cruise and tell them you need to be off the ship by 7:30. They will normally accommodate you with an early departure luggage tag....but there is always some risk with the entire luggage hassle.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We easily made an 11:55am flight; we arranged for Romecabs to meet us at 7:00am and we carried our own luggage off the ship. We were sitting at the terminal eating breakfast at 9:00am. Make sure you are dropped off at terminal 5 if flying back to the US.

We've used Bob's Limo (car, not Limo) several times with very good service. The last time we reserved from the ship to the airport, once they knew the ship and port arrival time, they suggested a pick-up time; I think it was about 7:30. Our flight was around 12:30, could easily have made your flight time.

Of course, things happen, so there is always a very slight chance the ship doesn't arrive, disembark, whatever on time, but it is rare.

We've used Bob's Limo (car, not Limo) several times with very good service. The last time we reserved from the ship to the airport, once they knew the ship and port arrival time, they suggested a pick-up time; I think it was about 7:30. Our flight was around 12:30, could easily have made your flight time.

Of course, things happen, so there is always a very slight chance the ship doesn't arrive, disembark, whatever on time, but it is rare.

Same here. We've used Bob's Limo service on two trips to and from Civitevecchia. We e-mailed them our time to dock and our flight time. They gave us their suggested time. We actually walked out there a few minutes early and they were already there waiting on us. They're very experienced dependable, and they keep up with the ship and the flights.