On the Crown Princess 4/4/15 to 4/11/15

KruzPrincess

I'm on the Crown now. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them if I can.

This is a CA Coastal.

So far, I'm having a nice cruise. Temps are cooler than expected. I wish I'd brought a warmer jacket. Food and service has been fine. No noro evidence that I've seen.

I'm on the Crown now...This is a CA Coastal...Temps are cooler than expected. I wish I'd brought a warmer jacket...

As you may know, we had a cool, fast-moving storm go through CA over the past day or two. It has moved east now, so the weather should improve for the rest of your trip :). Enjoy!

How are the views from Adagio's & Sabatini's? Oh yeah, have a great cruise! :D

The Adagio has windows, but they've had the curtains closed every time I've been in there. Not sure how much of view you'd ever see from there. It is a beautiful lounge, though, and very comfortable. Sabatini's has open windows and a view over the Terrace pool area, but right outside the windows is the smoking area. It's a comfortable spot up there with nice tables and chairs and a water fountain. I sat out there yesterday for a bit, but there weren't any smokers there at the time. Not sure how much you can enjoy the view with tables of smokers sitting there.

As you may know, we had a cool, fast-moving storm go through CA over the past day or two. It has moved east now, so the weather should improve for the rest of your trip :). Enjoy!

It did warm up some and was a nice day in San Diego. Honestly, every day was sunny and nice, but much cooler than expected. It was very windy and brisk in San Francisco. Today, we're in Ensenada and it's even coolish here, but I'm sure it will warm this afternoon. For me, I'd rather have it cool than blazing hot. It's nice for me, but I just wish I'd brought a warmer jacket.

The Adagio has windows, but they've had the curtains closed every time I've been in there. Not sure how much of view you'd ever see from there. It is a beautiful lounge, though, and very comfortable. Sabatini's has open windows and a view over the Terrace pool area, but right outside the windows is the smoking area. It's a comfortable spot up there with nice tables and chairs and a water fountain. I sat out there yesterday for a bit, but there weren't any smokers there at the time. Not sure how much you can enjoy the view with tables of smokers sitting there.

We enjoyed Adagios. It seemed that many people didn't know it was tucked away back there so it was nice and quiet. We went there one evening when the Princess Jazz Band was playing. It was a small group in attendance but the band was pleased that there were passengers who would show up for jazz. They were pretty good, too.

Hope you're having a great time. We'll be doing the coastal on the 18th. What nights are formal? And, is there a Chef's Dinner on your cruise? If so, what night was or is it?

Have a great time!!! will be on the Crown April 18 Ca. Costal so anything you can give up tips on will be great. Have cruised other cruise lines but will be first on Princess Line. :)

I'll be bringing my patters home with me, so I'll check on Chef's Table when I get to a computer on land tomorrow or Sunday. Last night, Thursday, was formal night. I'll have to double check which night was the first formal night.

As for tips, let me think on it. The best tip that I wish I'd know was that there is a free shuttle to Pier 39 in San Francisco. You catch it right outside the terminal in the turnaround area. We probably would have done that if we'd known about it before making other plans. Also, in San Francisco, it's really worth a visit to the Palace Hotel to see the lobby. Just beautiful old world architecture and you can have lunch in the lobby. We had a friend show us around SF and we hadn't seen it all in 8 hours. I'd been there many years ago, but it was great to see so much this time. Our friend had a lunch spot in mind, but it was closed for renovations, so we ended up eating lunch at the Cheesecake Factory on top of Macy's which has a terrace that overlooks Union Square.

I'll come back with more when I'm on land...as well as a bit of review of the ship.

It did warm up some and was a nice day in San Diego. Honestly, every day was sunny and nice, but much cooler than expected. It was very windy and brisk in San Francisco. Today, we're in Ensenada and it's even coolish here, but I'm sure it will warm this afternoon. For me, I'd rather have it cool than blazing hot. It's nice for me, but I just wish I'd brought a warmer jacket.

Thanks KruzPrincess for your insight thus far!

We will be on the April 18th Sailing!

I am now trying to decide what types of jackets to bring. I live in South Florida and don't have a lot of heavy coats.

When you say "warmer jacket", would something like a polar fleece jacket be warm enough (especially for San Fran which I know can be really cold)?

Just a week and a half ago, I was in the Calabasas, CA area and the daytime temperatures were around 80 degrees, but 80 in California felt a lot cooler than a South Florida 80. And 60 in the evening felt downright cold to us.

...I am now trying to decide what types of jackets to bring. I live in South Florida and don't have a lot of heavy coats.

When you say "warmer jacket", would something like a polar fleece jacket be warm enough (especially for San Fran which I know can be really cold)?

Just a week and a half ago, I was in the Calabasas, CA area and the daytime temperatures were around 80 degrees, but 80 in California felt a lot cooler than a South Florida 80. And 60 in the evening felt downright cold to us.

San Francisco is generally far cooler than the Calabasas area. A polar fleece jacket should be okay, if it is a fairly heavy one, or if you layer a thinner one with other clothes. They sell LOTS of sweatshirts to tourists in S.F. who arrive thinking the weather will be like L.A. It isn't.

I use a Belkin plug-in to charge my devices. It offers surge protection. It also turns one receptacle into three, plus it has two USB charging ports. I got mine at Home Depot for about $25. It is small -approximately 5" long and 1" in width. So, 5 X 1 X 1.

Sorry, One more question. Did you wear more capri pants or jeans during the day at the ports of call.

Thanks so much

Would like to know this as well.

Also, trying to decide what to bring for at-sea days. I've only done Caribbean itineraries and am always in swimwear or shorts and a top on sea days.

Thanks!:)

Just got off this cruise yesterday. Here are some of my tips:

A release jacket is perfect for San Francisco. If you are a strong walker, walk to pier 8, then up Broadway to Chinatown. Have some dim sum there.

In the Adiago bar try a tiramisu Martini. They only make it there. Plus ask for complementary olives there. For a great bargin in Ensenada, take the $2 shuttle into town. Then look for Fernando who will give you a great tour to La Bufadora and a huge farmers market for $15PP. He was great and very reliable. You will find it right where the shuttle drops you off. He has a ticket booth there. BTW Princess charges $39PP for the same tour. In San Diego buy trolley tickets on line before your cruise. It is a hop on, hop off trolley with many stops including to the Coronado hotel. Also cheaper then what Princess offers.

This was a fun little cruise that was great for families. Well worth it.

Just got off this cruise yesterday. Here are some of my tips:

A release jacket is perfect for San Francisco. If you are a strong walker, walk to pier 8, then up Broadway to Chinatown. Have some dim sum there.

In the Adiago bar try a tiramisu Martini. They only make it there. Plus ask for complementary olives there. For a great bargin in Ensenada, take the $2 shuttle into town. Then look for Fernando who will give you a great tour to La Bufadora and a huge farmers market for $15PP. He was great and very reliable. You will find it right where the shuttle drops you off. He has a ticket booth there. BTW Princess charges $39PP for the same tour. In San Diego buy trolley tickets on line before your cruise. It is a hop on, hop off trolley with many stops including to the Coronado hotel. Also cheaper then what Princess offers.

This was a fun little cruise that was great for families. Well worth it.

Thanks for the tips!

Question: How long did it take you to walk to Chinatown?

San Francisco is generally far cooler than the Calabasas area. A polar fleece jacket should be okay, if it is a fairly heavy one, or if you layer a thinner one with other clothes. They sell LOTS of sweatshirts to tourists in S.F. who arrive thinking the weather will be like L.A. It isn't.

LOL! I can imagine.

Thanks for the info!:)

I use a Belkin plug-in to charge my devices. It offers surge protection. It also turns one receptacle into three, plus it has two USB charging ports. I got mine at Home Depot for about $25. It is small -approximately 5" long and 1" in width. So, 5 X 1 X 1.

Great Thanks

Thanks for the tips!

Question: How long did it take you to walk to Chinatown?

First I meant a fleece jacket, not a release jacket. Auto correct again.

Now it took us about 45 minutes to walk to Chinatown, but we are slow walking seniors. It was faster coming back(down hill):p

Also on the same cruise....

I wore jeans almost every day. Only once did I wear capri's, and that was in Ensenada. The weather was generally on the cooler side, and while at sea, many people wore light weight sweaters/jackets and sweatshirts around. I saw many long sleeve shirts on men and sweaters, and the like on women at dinner. One of my table mates wore a imitation fur jacket to dinner one night. (maybe overkill)

Sweaters and/or jackets were necessary on the aft balcony except at ports when the sun was shining.

Thanks KruzPrincess for your insight thus far!

We will be on the April 18th Sailing!

I am now trying to decide what types of jackets to bring. I live in South Florida and don't have a lot of heavy coats.

Hello. It was coolish week for CA when we went. The weather forecast shows temps will be warming up. That said, it is usually cooler in SF. I had a very lightweight fleece jacket and it wasn't warm enough for me that week. I live in MN, so I'm used to cold weather. Some people had warm jackets and gloves on when we sailed into SF early morning. If it were me, I'd have brought a medium weight fleece jacket or a heavier hooded sweatshirt. I wished my jacket had a hood because it was quite windy. Of course, you may have much warmer weather. I just looked at my cruise log that I got at the end of the cruise and it was 57 in SF and 59 in SB. Those were the highs, so I think the lows were about 10 degrees cooler. Hope this helps.

Just curious about outlet's for 3 people charging phone's & Camera's.

Also is there a hair dryer in a drawer or bathroom. Thanks so much :)

There are two outlets by the desk. They are close together, so depending on the size of the plug-in portion, it may be difficult to plug in more than one thing at a time. You may want to bring a power strip. My friend brought one for her cabin. Three people would have difficulty with charging at the same time. Sometimes there's an extra outlet behind the TV, but there wasn't one in my balcony cabin.