Whale sighting opportunities during scenic cruising days

paradiseisaprincessaway

You might see one around Juneau and Vancouver... however, I recommend booking a whale excursions that takes you to their feeding areas....

Cruise ships avoid whale areas. It's not pretty when there is a collision.

There is a lengthy thread several days back, on scenic sailing areas- that I give tips on humpback areas.

IF you post your itinerary and times, I will tell you where to be out. HOWEVER, and I get the "what time" question all the time. Sorry- it requires you to invest a lot of time "searching" and you being happy with 1 minute of view. :)

Hey does anyone know when the best time of day is for opportunities to see whales etc. we have two days of scenic cruising and am curious when I should be up on deck. :)

we have seen many whales out of Tracy Arm going south to Ketchikan.

this area has seen increasing concentrations over the past few years. Sightings are now common east of Petersburg. They keep me awake at night........

http://psgmmc.org/pages/research/frederick.htm

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/17360.shtml

when i lived on Zarembo Island, w/o TV we'd drive down to Snow Passage (SW corner) in the evening to sit on the beach and look for whales.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/17383.shtml

Edited by bottom-dragger

I need to have the exact itineraries listed. With TIMES and ORDER of the route.

You can also plug in your own information- IF you take a look at a recent thread- on "scenic sailing" The information is there.

Edited by Budget Queen

If there is a naturalist onboard they will usually/often alert passengers when things are seen.

An interested and visible ship naturalist can really enhance a trip. :) But for at least the last 5 years, I've experienced fewer that offer this. Even Michelle- a long time Carnival expert was mostly absent except during the few programs and narrative of Tracy Arm. She used to spend a lot of time on the bridge- every sea day. Wasn't the case last year.

We had a wonderful naturalist on Princess-David Hancock who seemed to spend nearly all day on the bridge. And he made a huge difference in the experience for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wish there were easy ways to track, who's on board. :) The winners are worth sailing with. It's just that I haven't hit many the last several years. I've also gone on a large number of NCL cruises- with no naturalist.

I wish there were easy ways to track, who's on board. :) The winners are worth sailing with. It's just that I haven't hit many the last several years. I've also gone on a large number of NCL cruises- with no naturalist.

That was a deal breaker immediately for me. And agree would love to know who we would be sailing with in August.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk