Hotel suggestions for Tampa?

skye02

I know a lot of people stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Rocky Point

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/tampa/tpaap/hoteldetail

I know that they have a shuttle from the Airport, and offer a package with shuttle to the Cruiseport

However, I live in the area, and have never had a need to use this hotel

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Rocky Point only because I was walked from the Hampton Inn. I would not have picked it on my own and I would never consider staying there again. The walls are paper thin, there is a light that not even the black-out curtains can block, and there were only two towels in the room, and no possibility of getting more; I know, I tried! During my stay, the phones did not work and the elevator stopped working. No help, information or suggestions were offered to guests while the elevator was not working, and when I mentioned to the Front Desk staff that in my party's three rooms, NONE of the phones worked, I was told emergencies could be handled by cell phones. The clerk did not even bother to make a note of my complaint.

It was a truly horrid hotel experience and I cannot imagine anyone choosing to stay there voluntarily.

My friend and I have reservations at Embassy Suites, which is apparently very close to the port. We got a pretty good price, around $200. Considering the Manager's Reception with free drinks, and the full cooked breakfast, I thought this was pretty reasonable. Any feedback from those who have stayed there?

When I lived in Indy, we would often use the Holiday Inn Rocky Point as our hotel of choice for cruising from Tampa. We have always had very good experiences with the hotel. They offer a very good cruise package.

The HI-RP has an airport shuttle, which saved us on cab fare. They also offer complimentary shuttle service anywhere within a 2 or 3 mile radius. They have a very organized port shuttle with 3 times to select from 10am, 11 and Noon. The one factor that makes this hotel stand-out is the fact that they offer a return shuttle from the port, after the cruise is over. They will take you either to Tampa Airport or back to the hotel for those that used the Park & Cruise. This is a $25 savings as that is the flat-rate fare from the Port to TIA. It is over a $30 savings for guests returning to the hotel.

A lot of the Tampa cruise hotels only offer a one-way shuttle to the port so having the return shuttle is a very nice perk ! If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the Hampton Inn Rocky Point and Chase Suites Rocky Point also offer the return shuttle. There are not very many hotels that offer this so do factor in the cost of return transportation when checking out cruise hotel rates.

**** OP- There is a LaQuinta located by Tampa Airport. IMO that would be the most economical, budget-friendly hotel to use that would put you in a nice , safe area. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast and there is a small fee per-person for the shuttle to the port. (not sure of a return shuttle) There is a 24 hr IHOP adjacent and a large shopping mall directly across the street. The mall has lots of options for shopping and dining. http://www.lq.com/en/findandbook/hotel-details.tampa-bay-airport.html

If it were me, I would price-out the Holiday Inn Rocky Point , Hamption RP and Chase Suites RP. I would then check rates at the LaQuinta Tampa Airport adding in the pp $ for the port shuttle and then factoring in any costs for return transportation. You could use this same calculation for any other hotels that you may find. There are a lot in the Westshore area of Tampa that have good cruise rates ( none, I believe offer return transportation.... so keep that in mind.

Although I don't know much about it, there is a Ramada Westshore Tampa that other posters here on CC have used. I do know that they have done a recent remodel and the rates are pretty good...... so you may want to do a price check here too.

****** JMHO but steer clear of any hotels in the Stadium or Fairgrounds area.... you may get a good deal but not great areas.

Downtown Tampa will put you closer to the port but you will not find any with an airport shuttle. Many do offer shuttles to the port.

Ybor is another popular area near the port but again.... no airport shuttles.

Good luck to you.

Edited by FlaGrl4Evr

What are the recommendations for an inexpensive, safe and clean place near the Tampa port?

Safe/Clean...definitely. Inexpensive...that is more subjective. For our last sailing out of Tampa we stayed at the Intercontinental. It was close to a shopping mall and restaurants and easy to get to/from the port. My SIL just sailed out of there a few weeks ago and stayed at Hyatt Place...said they really enjoyed it and again very easy to get to/from the port.

My friend and I have reservations at Embassy Suites, which is apparently very close to the port. We got a pretty good price, around $200. Considering the Manager's Reception with free drinks, and the full cooked breakfast, I thought this was pretty reasonable. Any feedback from those who have stayed there?

We stayed there in February......it is a great hotel and the Managers Reception and the free breakfast make it even better.

Be sure to walk across the street and walk up and down the waterway. So nice!!!

You will literally be down the street from the terminal.

Enjoy!!!

Edited by GTO-Girl

• 5 months later...
When I lived in Indy, we would often use the Holiday Inn Rocky Point as our hotel of choice for cruising from Tampa. We have always had very good experiences with the hotel. They offer a very good cruise package.

The HI-RP has an airport shuttle, which saved us on cab fare. They also offer complimentary shuttle service anywhere within a 2 or 3 mile radius. They have a very organized port shuttle with 3 times to select from 10am, 11 and Noon. The one factor that makes this hotel stand-out is the fact that they offer a return shuttle from the port, after the cruise is over. They will take you either to Tampa Airport or back to the hotel for those that used the Park & Cruise. This is a $25 savings as that is the flat-rate fare from the Port to TIA. It is over a $30 savings for guests returning to the hotel.

A lot of the Tampa cruise hotels only offer a one-way shuttle to the port so having the return shuttle is a very nice perk ! If I'm not mistaken, I believe that the Hampton Inn Rocky Point and Chase Suites Rocky Point also offer the return shuttle. There are not very many hotels that offer this so do factor in the cost of return transportation when checking out cruise hotel rates.

**** OP- There is a LaQuinta located by Tampa Airport. IMO that would be the most economical, budget-friendly hotel to use that would put you in a nice , safe area. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast and there is a small fee per-person for the shuttle to the port. (not sure of a return shuttle) There is a 24 hr IHOP adjacent and a large shopping mall directly across the street. The mall has lots of options for shopping and dining. http://www.lq.com/en/findandbook/hotel-details.tampa-bay-airport.html

If it were me, I would price-out the Holiday Inn Rocky Point , Hamption RP and Chase Suites RP. I would then check rates at the LaQuinta Tampa Airport adding in the pp $ for the port shuttle and then factoring in any costs for return transportation. You could use this same calculation for any other hotels that you may find. There are a lot in the Westshore area of Tampa that have good cruise rates ( none, I believe offer return transportation.... so keep that in mind.

Although I don't know much about it, there is a Ramada Westshore Tampa that other posters here on CC have used. I do know that they have done a recent remodel and the rates are pretty good...... so you may want to do a price check here too.

****** JMHO but steer clear of any hotels in the Stadium or Fairgrounds area.... you may get a good deal but not great areas.

Downtown Tampa will put you closer to the port but you will not find any with an airport shuttle. Many do offer shuttles to the port.

Ybor is another popular area near the port but again.... no airport shuttles.

Good luck to you.

So we have never cruised out of Tampa and your suggestions seem like an awesome deal for what you get. Odd question is it safe to walk that area at night. We are flying in and would possibly walk down to The Rusty Pelican from the Chase . It would be my hubby and I . Just wondering if it is Pedestrian friendly or if you could even rent bikes somewhere close. TIA

So we have never cruised out of Tampa and your suggestions seem like an awesome deal for what you get. Odd question is it safe to walk that area at night. We are flying in and would possibly walk down to The Rusty Pelican from the Chase . It would be my hubby and I . Just wondering if it is Pedestrian friendly or if you could even rent bikes somewhere close. TIA

Rocky Point is generally a safe area and we have enjoyed previous stays at Chase Suites. Have a good cruise! :)

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown and it was very nice!! Beautiful area and trolley line is right outside your door should you visit other areas of the city.

This Embassy and the Marriott Waterside across the street are my two hotels of choice.

Have a great cruise!!!