Self Assist Time?

memecakes

What is the earliest time you are allowed to get off the ship with the self assist option? We have an early fright and know hubby is worried it is TOO early. We are on the Glory in Miami in October and are leaving from the Miami airport not FLL.

We have always used self assist just because we hate leaving our bags out.

Self assist seems to have always been called 15 minutes or so after the letting off process begins. From memory this has been around 8-8.30ish.

The risk is though that if theres any delay into coming into port or they are doing a non-US citizen check (especially if they cannot find certain passengers) then the letting off will start later regardless. I am sure there was a thread on here where people did not get off til 10.

However, Carnival have also called people with early flights to be let off early so its worth letting them know about you flights before you sail, the night before derbark and in the morning.

9:20 in the morning. I am a bit worried that we might be cutting this a bit close. :eek:

Yikes! That is early... they didn't call our first group on my last cruise until around 8am, and it took about 45 min to get off and through customs.

9:20 in the morning. I am a bit worried that we might be cutting this a bit close. :eek:

I hope you have a back-up plan because you will surely need one !

You would need to be at the airport at least an hour before the flight - you will be lucky to be off the ship by 8:15-8:30

Edited by lizardhowson

I wish you the best of luck. You will certainly need it.

the only silver lining I see here is that if you don't change your flight time and make it, you can post here and we will give a collective " WOW ".

Have a great trip

How does Platinum self assist work?

Over the last couple of days you will get a letter with debarkation steps and the choices you have. You will get Group 1 luggage tags to use if you decide to place your luggage in the hall and claim it after you leave the ship.

After all the self-debarkation groups are called you will be the next group to leave the ship.

Self-debarkation for platinum passengers is too easy. You will get all your belongings and luggage and head down to Deck 3. A crew member will check the letter our your sign and sail card, direct you into the dining room and once the ship is cleared you are the first ones off.

The Glory crew did it right, they called diamond and platinum self-assist, then FTTF and then the rest. We were in a cab headed to the airport at 7:50am.

Edited by BallFour4

over the last couple of days you will get a letter with debarkation steps and the choices you have. You will get group 1 luggage tags to use if you decide to place your luggage in the hall and claim it after you leave the ship.

After all the self-debarkation groups are called you will be the next group to leave the ship.

Self-debarkation for platinum passengers is too easy. You will get all your belongings and luggage and head down to deck 3. A crew member will check the letter our your sign and sail card, direct you into the dining room and once the ship is cleared you are the first ones off.

The glory crew did it right, they called diamond and platinum self-assist, then fttf and then the rest. We were in a cab headed to the airport at 7:50am.

thanks!!!!

Edited by monteboy

Oh wow that's an early flight time. I'm kinda nervous about my flight at 11:45 and our ship docks at 07:00. I wish you the best of luck making it on time.

To answer your question though. They will let everyone know where and when to be for self assist, and you can usually be off the ship within 30 minutes.

If it's anything like when I was on the Pride it took hours. The ship was late getting into port, but even after we docked everyone wanted off and rushed to the front, even non self assist guests, and it held everyone up. They also couldn't find all the foreign guests which held everyone up about 30 more minutes. People I were next to had to change their flights twice incurring $100 each flight per person change fee.

I am basing all of this on the ship arriving in port on time and the being cleared to debark within a reasonable amount of time.

Let's say you are off the ship by 8 (I am being optimistic for you in getting off that early). Give you another 15 minutes to get through Customs (again, optimistic as it can take anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour). That puts you at 8:15. Get in a cab. It is a minimum of 20 minutes to the airport, so you are now at 8:35. That is just to the entrance of the airport. Probably another 5 minutes to get you to your terminal, so 8:40. Now, let's talk about dropping off your bags and having to get through security, and I am guessing we are now around the 8:50 (at best) mark. It is at this point that you should start boarding the airplane.

I am giving you best case scenarios here. Traffic in Miami is horrendous. That time of day can easily take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour to get to the airport. I am not joking, I am being realistic. I've lived there, so I know what the roads get like that early in the morning. The airport is always congested, and it does take forever to get through security screening.

Now, let's talk about what could delay you in getting off the ship. While most people have no problems getting off the ship (have had several cruises that I have had no problem), there is always that one instance. Arrived in port on time, and then you hear them start calling someone's name over and over. Wondering what was going on, I went to take a look outside. Cops and dogs everywhere. I cannot say what happened for sure, but getting off the ship was delayed over an hour because of this. We should have been off the ship by 8, but ended up not getting off until 9:15-ish.

There are way too many things out of your control to risk taking a flight that early. Even if everything goes in your favor, you run the risk of not making your flight because the earliest you will be through security at the airport is the time you should be on the plane. You will be running to get to your plane, and is that really how you want to end a wonderful, relaxing vacation?

Edited by FTLCruiseGal

We did self assist on the Magic on 3/22. We were on the Riveria deck and had the first zone/earliest time which was 7:30 am. We were to our car by 8:00. I can't imagine getting there any earlier than that. We had FTTF but didn't use it to disembark as being in the first zone was faster.

Rebooked our flight to 5pm so there is no worrying now. Thanks for all the advice.

Glad to hear that, I just now stopped hyperventilating :). Although now you will need to find something to do in Miami for a while. Most airlines will only let you check bags within 3-4 hours before your flight.