Ideas for Announcing New Baby on Cruise

Dad2B

Looking for some help with a surprise for my upcoming cruise...

We're going on a cruise with my parents soon, and we just found out we're pregnant. This will be my parents' first grandchild. We're trying to figure out how to give them the news on the cruise.

We were thinking about getting a baby frame, writing up an announcement to put in it, and asking their cabin steward to let us/have him or her put it in their room. But then we don't get to see their reaction.

I suppose we could have them over to our room and do something there. But I'm sure there's a great idea out there we just haven't thought of.

Any suggestions??

Get your waiter or head waiter in private at dinner the first night. (Leave at the beginning to find a "bathroom.") Ask him to write the words, "Congratulations Grandma and Grandpa" in chocolate on their dessert plates. You can have your camera at the ready to preserve the moment.

You could even have them bring out your framed picture at the same time.

It is certainly not necessary, but may help if you provide a little financial compensation to make sure it gets done. :)

Guest cruzr44

Shop for a baby T-shirt in the giftshop or on one of the islands. Ask your parents, "do you think this will look cute on your first grandchild"? Sounds kind of corny, but you get the idea. CONGRATULATIONS!! Will you be able to keep it a secret until you cruise?

Thanks Sharon. I like the "corny idea" too. It's gonna be hard to keep it a secret, but fortunately the cruise is getting close. I don't want to give any further details in case "Grandma & Grandpa" see this board.

As the best practical joke person in the office...as the CD to print a copy of the daily compass especially for your parents cabin...with one of the activities announcing your baby..that sort of thing.

Not sure if they will be first time grandparents the CD could also leave them a special invitation to a 'grandparents' only cocktail...and you could be waiting in the bar for them!!! Let me know if you need more ideas

How wonderful! Congratulations! I love the T-shirt idea. I also love the dessert. I would want to see their faces too!

Parent hood is the best part of my life. Well maybe not right this second, the two babies are teething, but most of the time it is Gene's and my greatet joy.

As the best practical joke person in the office...as the CD to print a copy of the daily compass especially for your parents cabin...with one of the activities announcing your baby..that sort of thing.

Not sure if they will be first time grandparents the CD could also leave them a special invitation to a 'grandparents' only cocktail...and you could be waiting in the bar for them!!! Let me know if you need more ideas

Now THAT is devious.

LOL, I think the decision is getting harder instead of easier. ;)

I think the dessert plate idea is funny...and doable. When we were on the Vision one of our tablemates told the waiter she wanted "Nothing" for dessert. He then proceeded to bring her a plate decorated with raspberry syrup that said "Nothing" on it. It was hysterical!!

Anyway, congrats and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I think the dessert plate idea is funny...and doable. When we were on the Vision one of our tablemates told the waiter she wanted "Nothing" for dessert. He then proceeded to bring her a plate decorated with raspberry syrup that said "Nothing" on it. It was hysterical!!

This happened to me on EOS, I said I would have the "same", I had a plate brought out with the "same" in syrup.

We found out we were going to be grandparents right before we went on a Voyager cruise with a group that included my mother (who would be the baby's Great Grandmother). Before the cruise we made up an announcement flyer "On May 5 Missy and Mike will be welcoming a bundle of joy. CONGRATULATIONS GREAT GRANDMA" We got with our waiter in the dining room and had him put the flyer in my mother's dessert menu. She got her menu last (since we all knew what was going on) and when she opened it she let out a scream. We caught her look of surprise on camera and the photo is in the baby's scrapbook on the "Waiting for Ryan" page.

PS - Bouncing baby boy arrived on May 10, 2005. And grandparents and great grandma love him to pieces.

Very cool Checkard. That idea crossed my mind when Appgrad mentioned the dessert idea. What size did you make the flyer? Anybody know the size of the regular menu and dessert menu?

Soooooo many great ideas. How will we choose?! :eek:

I carry a small photo album in my purse that has pictures of my grandchildren - all 7 of them. It's engraved Grandma's Brag Book. Maybe you could find something like it, have it wrapped and present it to your parents at dinner. You could say that you found something that you think they might be able to put to good use. :)

Congratulations on the new little one. There's nothing quite like having kids. ;)

Beth

How exciting for you--best of luck in the creativity department. If it was me, they'd probably find out by having to ask why mom2b was aways in the bathroom:( ... be sure to buy and wear the seaband wristbands (since you probably don't want to take any medication for seasickness). I've had them stop nausea in progress on a plane and they've never failed to prevent nausea on a ship or boat. And they worked tolerably well when I was pregnant. I hope you have one of those beautiful, non-nauseous early pregnancies!

LOL....my DH also ordered nothing every night for dessert, he also got the plate NOTHING written in chocolate. It was hysterical!!!

Congratulations Dad2B and Mom2B! How exciting for both of you and how wonderful that you want to surprise your parents on the cruise. I can't wait to follow this thread and hear back from you when you return. I like the photo album idea (Grandma's bragbook). If you won't have a picture of the sonogram, you could always make up a little announcement to put in the first picture slot. Wrap it up and give it to them as a gift that "you thought they'd enjoy for the cruise" type of thing. Good luck with whatever you come up with!

De (Nana to 4)

Why not go to the card store and make a card for your parents from the baby. In it the baby could inform them that their is another passenger on the cruise that they will be meeting on....insert due date.I got a Christmas card from my grandaughter like that and needless to say, it made my day! Congratulations to the entire family.

:D Congratulations!!!!!! What great news to spring on your parents while they're enjoying their vacation!!! I bet you won't get those grins off their faces the whole trip once they know they're about to be grandparents!!

I love the idea about the announcement written on the desert plate!!! Maybe the first night you should order "nothing" and have your waiter bring you a plate with "nothing" written on it. Then the next night have the plate with the announcement on it delivered to your parents! They'll probably laugh it off at first thinking that it's the same as your plate from the previous night but imagine when they do read it!!!!!!!! Hee Hee Hee I just think it's too funny!!!!!

Best wishes to you and the new mom!

Reenie

Why not have the CD announce the forthcoming baby to the grandparents before one of the shows? :D

Archived