Ideas for Announcing New Baby on Cruise

Dad2B

Congrats Dad2B!!

Along the lines of the dessert ideas.. you could also have your waiter set an extra place (complete with baby high chair) next to your parents. Go to Adventure Ocean and get some crayons/coloring books etc and give them to your waiter to complet the place setting...

When we found out we were pregnant w/our first I made a "Grandma's Scrapbook" photo album from our dog to my mom. I cut out a ton of our dog's pictures and told her he felt bad that she didn't have a grandbaby.

The last page was a caption that said "Insert new picture here on about Nov, 7, 1997) and a huge smiley face.

She figured it out pretty quickly. It might work if you have animals in your family that are considered "kids". You could give them the album at dinner. It could also be a "vacation album" with some cut-out information on each port and tell them to fill it in w/pics but then have a "The best part of the cruise" page where you have a sheet that tells them the secret or shows the ultrasound picture

First off let me say Congratulations!!! We welcomed our first baby last December and as everyone tells you, you cant imagine how amazing it is until you do it yourself! I really like the dessert idea.

When we announced our pg to my Mom, Dad, FIL and MIL I made up an announcement that said "Guess what?? We're Expecting!! Baby H. ...coming to a crib near you, December 2004! Love, Sara and Jeremy" and then I put it in a cute baby themed frame that I found at Hallmark. Then I wrapped each one in tissue paper put it in a box and then wrapped the box in neutral wrapping paper. We gave each gift seperately and told them each something different. (My Mom..a housewarming present since she had just moved, his Mom..an early Mother's Day present, etc.) You could tell them that you found something that you though they would love or that it is a gift to help them enjoy their cruise! The looks on their faces when what they had read sunk in was priceless!! Both of our Mom's immediately started crying and jumping around!

Anyway, congrats again and enjoy your cruise and hopefully and healthy and happy pregnancy!

Sara

I think a combo of a bunch of these suggestions would be great, and do it at dinner the FIRST night!! You can go down to the dining room upon embarkation to meet with the maitre'd, who can arrange it all. At dessert time, have the special plate written up, and have the high chair brought out at the same time, along with the scrapbook (or card), or frames with pictures, on the shelf......How special!! Definitely do it the first night....they will start to wonder why mom to be won't even have a glass of champagne at a party....Congratulations!!!!

I think the dessert plate idea is funny...and doable. When we were on the Vision one of our tablemates told the waiter she wanted "Nothing" for dessert. He then proceeded to bring her a plate decorated with raspberry syrup that said "Nothing" on it. It was hysterical!!

Anyway, congrats and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Awwww...and I thought my waiter was the most clever waiter we've ever had......(same thing happened to my daughter on our cruise last July...I thought it was so funny, I even took a picture of my daughter and the plate.)

As far as the OP's question....sorry...no ideas, but I just had to share the "nothing" for dessert story too. If I think of something I'll post it later. :)

These are all great ideas...I love the idea of someone at a show annoucing it. And the baby book...But DH and I told our parents about our first child by showing them the sonogram....none of them knew we were trying, so it made the reaction so much better, especially since neither mom thought we EVER would....

whatever you decide to do, it will be great...

Congrats on a new reason to smile, it's the best job you will ever have.

Ooh...and put a picture of the sonogram in the book.

How exciting! Congrats!

I carry a small photo album in my purse that has pictures of my grandchildren - all 7 of them. It's engraved Grandma's Brag Book. Maybe you could find something like it, have it wrapped and present it to your parents at dinner. You could say that you found something that you think they might be able to put to good use. :)

Congratulations on the new little one. There's nothing quite like having kids. ;)

Beth

Awwww...and I thought my waiter was the most clever waiter we've ever had......(same thing happened to my daughter on our cruise last July...I thought it was so funny, I even took a picture of my daughter and the plate.)

As far as the OP's question....sorry...no ideas, but I just had to share the "nothing" for dessert story too. If I think of something I'll post it later. :)

Same thing for my DD on the Celebrity Millennium. It's funny the first time it happens. Another night DD said that she could decide and told the waiter to pick for her. He ended up bringing out one of everything they offered. The whole scene was hysterically funny! :D The desserts just kept coming as they were being served by all the waiters in the dining room. All the other passengers were watching our table as well. :eek:

This is the best idea I have read anywhere.

Very duable, a great surprise that only the 3 of you know about & a photo has to be taken (maybe the the ship's photographer also). To see 2 plates come out for Grandma & Grandpa & then have 2 boxes for them on their seats with the T-Shirts that they cannot open until after dinner. And then to really seal the deal, have a sonogram photo framed. Believe me word will spread throughout the ship & they will be king & queen as will DADDY2BE & MAMMA2BE. Truly funny how folks love the thrill of it all.

Get your waiter or head waiter in private at dinner the first night. (Leave at the beginning to find a "bathroom.") Ask him to write the words, "Congratulations Grandma and Grandpa" in chocolate on their dessert plates. You can have your camera at the ready to preserve the moment.

You could even have them bring out your framed picture at the same time.

It is certainly not necessary, but may help if you provide a little financial compensation to make sure it gets done. :)

How about.....As soon as its possible, pose for a picture for the ship's photographer (it can be on the way in...that typical boarding the ship picture so you don't have to wait until formal night......unless you can hold out until then). As the photographer is setting your up in your pose, you can say something like...."wait...we need to make room for one more". When Grandma & Grandpa question that statement, you can say something like "yes...there will be one more person in this picture in 7 months" (or however many months until baby is due). You will have the ships photographer right there, capturing the moment.

Now we come up with ideas of how to do it for him? I like the glass of champagne with the diamond ring in it. (And everyone stars as she drinks making sure she isn't chugging it!) Then you have the showroom proposal on stage in front of 2000 folks & all the free drinks afterwards......... but he will probably do it out on the balcony as the sun sets with the parents next door with their ears glued to the seperator.

Oh this is SO exciting of late, a baby now a new wedding couple & I do hope that you are not also getting the GRANDMA CruiseNut7 plate at dinner........ (smack me)

Congratulations! All of the ideas are great (I do like the dessert plate best) ... I'm just weepy reading them! Guess that's because my only son is going to propose on our cruise in 77 days!

Life is good!

When we were to have our second child, after several miscarriages, we decided to tell our daughter in a special memorable way. We had planned to eat Chinese that night at home. I bought a box of fortune cookies at the store. I carefully slipped out her fortune and replaced it with a fortune saying that she would be a big sister soon, or something to that effect. Usually the fortunes have lucky numbers on them, well her lucky numbers were the baby's due date. It took a bit of planning as I had to print it up on my computer and then cut the paper the exact same size as the fortune paper was, carefully take out the other paper and then insert the new paper without cracking the cookie, which I did a few times before I got it right. She was surely surprised. She thought it was a joke at first. Maybe you could take the cookies along already made up, and give them to the waiter to serve. Whatever you decide to do, Congratulations!:)

Let's see, you could do this idea a couple of different ways-make a special menu print out at home just for them, or tell the waiter you have a special order request for that night... "BABY back ribs, BABY carrots, BABY green peas, those little BABY corn cobs"... (I couldn't think of a dessert though) and then you can make your announcement or the waiter can say that there seems to be a connection here. She may catch on with your theme herself. Just a thought!

with an ad, for whom I don't remember since I was so thrilled with the storyline.

They show a sweaty man off his jogging machine & he is handed a sonogram and he looks at it and then states "there are 2 heads" and this very cute look at the camera which is to be his daughter. And she tells him to look again, now he states "4 feet - OH MY!" and he knows it is twins................

I cried for 10 minutes with joy for you both as this was an ad for you (tho it isn't twins, is it?). Hope you get to see the ad for whomever it is for.

As far as having the CD announcing about the baby before a show - we went down to the Guest Services desk and made arrangements to have this done. We had all the plans in place and were to meet the CD in the lobby before the show so we could show him where my mother (the future great grandma) was sitting. While I were waiting the meet the CD, one of the waiters came over and asked if I was Mrs. -----. When I told him yes, he said the CD had thought about our request and decided that if he did that for us, he would be overwhelmed by other folks wanting him to announce things. This was our original plan but we had made the certificate up ahead of time just in case this didn't work out.

As far as the certificate/announcement we made for in the dessert menu, we just used an 8-1/2 X 11 sheet of paper. What was neat about this was that my mom hung it on her cabin door and anybody passing in the hall when she came out of her room congratulated her. I made a copy of the certificate, reduced it, laminated it and put it in the baby's scrapbook next to the picture we took when she opened the menu up.

Not very formal, but how about for the welcome aboard photo, be sure to have the mom to be in front. And just as the photographers are about to snap the picture say be sure to get the new addition in the picture. Timed right, the look would be priceless.

Thats kind of the same thing I said....LOL Great minds....LOL

Thank you all for the warm wishes and great ideas. I think we're still going with the dessert idea though. We went for the sonogram yesterday, and all is well. Size is normal, heartbeat is normal, things are going well.

Again the cruise is soon, and I can't wait to move forward with the surprise. I will report back and post a picture if we capture a good Kodak moment later this month.

Not very formal, but how about for the welcome aboard photo, be sure to have the mom to be in front. And just as the photographers are about to snap the picture say be sure to get the new addition in the picture. Timed right, the look would be priceless.
Considering the CD will not make announcements (can't blame him), I like the idea of the photo. However, the first embarkation photo can be hectic. The photographer and helper are always pushing people through. Also, with the excitement of getting on the ship, and then an additional "announcement", grandmother might have a heart attack...I know I would. :D Do the photo opt on Formal night instead or just go with your idea.

Get your waiter or head waiter in private at dinner the first night. (Leave at the beginning to find a "bathroom.") Ask him to write the words, "Congratulations Grandma and Grandpa" in chocolate on their dessert plates. You can have your camera at the ready to preserve the moment.

I love this idea. And congrats on your first child. They are a true blessing. Love him/her to death.

Congratulations Mom and Dad 2 Be! When I found out that I was expecting our first child, I filled our living room with pink and blue balloons for when my husband came home. He opened the door and saw this sea of pink and blue balloons - took him a moment to make the connection - but the look on his face was worth it! You could probably bring the unfilled balloons and ribbon (pre-cut) with you and tip the cabin steward and ask him to fill them with helium for you the second morning of your cruise. Follow your parents back to their cabin and see their reaction when they open the door! Good luck!

Gina

Archived